Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '28 Ford roadster pickup door stretch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charlie Chops 1940, Mar 29, 2020.

1. I'm making the cabin on my rpu longer by lengthening the doors. I started with a roadster cowl and have acquired the quarters and the rear of the cab. I made subrails out of 1x2-1/2" rectangular tubing laying on its side and it is bolted to the '32 frame. I've fit the cab rear and, have the quarters clamped in place, and ready to stretch the doors.

What I don't know is the "normal" gap between the rear jamb on the door and the jamb on the quarter.

Could I have a measurement from the owners of 3 or 4 '28 roadster pickups? Thanks for your help.

Stay well.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My doors have 1/4 in.,its what seems to work well. Over the years I have seen some bigger an smaller,being there is some movement as things get old an sloppy. My own is a 28 A bobtailed roadster,not a pick-up,but doors are same. I put Bear-Claw latchs in. back some time ago.
    IMAG1365.jpgsmall.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. Thanks Dana. I thought if I got several answers I'd use what looks like an average.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Closer then 1/4 in. can make a rattle over big bumps an more space cuts down on over lap to body=Can be,if top and bottom get some out of line,will show light in the gap. See what other add.
    I've worked on my same 28A from time I built it in 1959,an still drive it on nice weekends some times.

5. Thanks for the additional info Dana. I think I’m going to go ahead with a 1/4” shim between the door and the body jamb. I cut the inner skin to slide back just before lunch and will clamp things up this afternoon. Might have it roughed in yet today - at least tacked together. If so I maybe able to post a picture or two.

6. Here are a few pictures of the progress on the driver's side door stretch this afternoon. IMG_8017.JPG IMG_8018.JPG IMG_8019.JPG

Attached Files:

sharpmark and OFT like this.
  7. I finished the driver's side door stretch yesterday. It is now just shy of 6" longer. On to the next one. Here are a couple pictures of both sides. On to the passenger side.

IMG_8037.JPG

Attached Files:

bct and sharpmark like this.
  8. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

9. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

Looks like nice work, thanks for sharing!

10. Will do the passenger side more or less the same way but may fool around with the sequence a little. I’m prettiy happy with it so far.

Be safe.

11. Both doors are done. Here's a shot of the driver's side back on.

IMG_8042.JPG

barrnone50 and jnaki like this.
  12. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER