Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 28-29 Model A with Y-Block Running Full Hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bradberry00, Apr 3, 2020.

1. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So while in social quarantine, I have a lot of time to think about future projects. I have bits and bobs, engines and bodies in storage. They are spread across a couple states waiting for the day I finally get my garage built at my house. But, planning and thinking are always fun....My newest plan is to run a y block in a '29 Model A on '32 rails....one issue I can see (in my brain) however, will that wide engine fit with a full hood?? I am a big fan of full louvered hoods on these Model A's....I have seen many without a hood or no hood sides, but show me a 28-29 A with a Y Block under the hood (literally under and in between a full hood).

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. I don't think you'll have a problem with width so much as length. I had to move the front x-member 3" to make it fit and I'm still a bit too tight on the firewall. That's all waterpump and fan between the block and radiator. I had a one piece hood made, no sides. 0907181620a-1.jpg

bradberry00, RHRH3P and Texas Webb like this.
  4. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Length shouldn't be too much of an issue as I plan to go with a 32 frame, that should give me about 2 1/2-3" in added wheelbase. Also, there is a short timing cover available from John Mummert. To me it looks like the exhaust manifolds could give me the most difficulty when trying to put on hood sides.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020

5. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I know you asked for model A, but my deuce is the best I can do! This should give you a little perspective on the width of the Y Block. Yes, exhaust manifolds will stick out another 2 1/2” on each side, but you can probably get away with making your own block huggers. Recessed firewall will also most likely be a must. My engine is a 312 and uses all the original parts on the front of the engine. Good luck in the project, look forward to seeing it!

bradberry00 likes this.