Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Favorite Oil Filter Brand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonWegener, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

2. 26Troadster

26Troadster

we use a lot of baldwins and donaldsons here at work, so i have been using baldwin. we also use luberfiner as well as wix which is also napa.

3. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

4. Sorry to resurrect this thread. I've been told to never use a Fram filter. What happened? Everyone used them back in the heyday of racing. Seems so sad to me. il_570xN.1776894031_dqsb.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. egads

egads

They started going cheap. Cardboard end cap,s with less filter media. O'Reilly's has even stopped carrying Fram product's because they have a tendency come apart and clog oil passage's. Your right, very sad. Several interesting Youtube video's similar to the one the op put up on comparisons of different brand's.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  6. Well,,this is a good one,,, most of the post I read cuss the Frams like the company violated a member of their family .
    Maybe they are bad,,,,all I can go by is the experience I have had .
    I have three vehicles in our family that have racked up a total of over one million miles .
    One a 94 pickup,,,,,520,000 miles.
    The next one,,,,a 99 car,,,,,345,000 miles .
    The third one,,,,a 2000 car,,,,324,000 miles .
    All of these vehicles have used Fram filters exclusively !
    No bearing related issues or oil burning issues from any of them .

Also,,,,I always used Valvoline oil in them as well,,,,only Valvoline,,,I went to the synthetic oil in the cars in the last few years .

Sorry if this doesn’t jive with the others,,,I can only go by my experience.
    I figure another 300,000 miles and them dad gum Frams will kill my engines ,,,LoL.

Tommy

7. triumph 1

triumph 1

X2

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Each definitely has their own experiences. I have just seen terrible reviews for them on the Interwebs.

egads likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

AC Delco is now made in China. Its about time we stop buying Chinese Shit.
    I use NAPA Gold which is made by Wix.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I wasn’t going to post this, but cut apart a Baldwin oil filter get the same filter in donnelson for an over the road application and compare them. You will never use another Baldwin after you see the difference

11. No. Don't say that about AC Delco. First Fram issues and now this. Now I'm really sad!

Buy American. Even if it costs more.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I can’t say much about this since it’s been years since I used Wix filters, but my experience with them was very positive. On all my vehicles I now use NAPA gold filters (made by Wix) and never have one leak around the seal. I would suspect dirt on the seal area .

13. Very informative, thanks for sharing.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. It seems that we all have different experiences and opinions about filters. There is nothing wrong with that. Most people’s experiences with filters are their own, meaning that they only work on their own stuff. My experience is vastly different, I do this for a living and have only seen 1 time in 29 years an oil filter come apart and cause a problem. It was on an International Maxxforce 10 engine that we worked on under International warranty when we were an associate dealer. The ECM kept throwing low injection control pressure codes. Generally this means an internal leak or bad injector(s). Spent two weeks losing my ass on this one with lots of “help” and “suggestions” from the factory tech department. Finally, we pulled the high pressure oil pump for inspection and there was a large chunk of rubber from the oil filter blocking 2/3 of the feed passage. The filter? It was an OEM International brand.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

XXL__ and Nicholas Coe like this.
  15. There are a couple of other things to consider here as well. First, at least two of the major filter companies have gone through ownership changes in the last 5 or so years. I would not expect the filter you cut apart 10 years ago to be of the same construction today. The two companies that I am aware of are Wix filters and Baldwin filters.
    Secondly, never underestimate large corporations to cheapen the products you buy and not tell you or not pass on the savings to you.
    Lastly, I have seen several Wix filters that are made overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe and egads like this.
  16. BJR

BJR

Can't add much to this thread, except I use Wix or NAPA Gold on my stuff, but if you have one of those toilet paper filters on your car....... good luck finding replacement element in the current situation we find ourselves in. :D

egads and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. How about Hastings filters? Anyone have any experience or opinions on them?

18. Wix................no problems ........ever.

19. I totally agree. I think that is what saddens me so much. Made in China. Only using the brand name. Never mind the same quality!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  20. Did you watch the video? How could you put a fram on your engine in good conscience after watching that? Maybe you’ve gotten lucky thus far but I wouldn’t push it. We use Wix exclusively at our repair shop for good reason.

egads and jim snow like this.
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Here's a little tip FWIW. ( for those who haven't noticed)
    Take the "5" prefix off any Wix filter, and there's your Napa Gold filter! (& versi-visey!)

jim snow likes this.
  22. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

NAPA Platinum which is an even better WIX created for synthetic oil/high mileage oil changers.

23. egads

egads

Need to watch these( or take apart your own and see how they are made up ) If you still want to use the Fram, have fun. I know this is a rerun but worth the view again.

24. WIX or just to piss everyone off Fram.
    I like them both equally well.

Nicholas Coe and XXL__ like this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I wonder how long an engine would last with no oil filter at all, or just a hollowed out one, if it got regular oil changes.
    Maybe just as long?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  26. European Custom

European Custom

Hi, i´m quite new in this topic, i´m currently using Fram PH-30 for my Chevy 305 SBC, which variant from WIX would be your recommendation for my engine (quite standard engine & daily driver)?

After seeing the video and see that most people here use WIX, i think i will switch the brand.

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wix 51046 or 51069
    NapaGold 1046 or 1069
    (see a pattern?)
    :D

Nicholas Coe and jim snow like this.
  28. Beanscoot ,
    I agree,,,,,look at the millions of Flatheads that never had a filter .
    I know most have always had a lot of buildup in them,,,,but how often did the oil get changed back then ?
    Years ago I worked on a young woman’s T bird,,,she had drove it about 80,000 miles on the same oil,,,really,,,,just had some added when it was low .
    Finally decided that she “should have it changed,, since it was over due “,,,,it spun a bearing a couple of days later .
    Oh well,,,,the shop I worked at had not done the previous work,,,,but,,,we certainly got the opportunity to replace the engine,,,,boy,,,,you talk about a pile of sludge inside,,,,,awful !

Tommy

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  29. Boodlum

Boodlum

Mobil 1 filter with Mobil 1 oil
    K&N filter with Royal Purple oil
    Royal Purple filter with Red Line oil

-all oil synthetic

My race experience, YMMV

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  30. jim snow

jim snow