Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cars Dug From The Ground

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile now and sense we've been ordered to stay put for at least another week why not post it now. I know I've seen Falconegorge dig up an old car on some tropical beach on vacation somewhere and that some others have dug up cars as well. I've also heard some states have used old cars as flood control. So who's dug up an old car to use as a project car? How far did you get with it? Show Before and After pictures if you've got them.

VANDENPLAS, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No pics but my Dad bought some land and while excavating found a buried 1958 Chevy with a 348 in up .

3. I dug this T up years ago. It was buried in a bank with just this side, the good side! lol of it showing. 2582.jpg

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Back in the late 80's at a boneyard near the 91 and 215 intersection (Riverside County Ca.) there was a 59 Chevy that was buried along the wash. I was told there was a lot more in the earth the eye couldn't see.

Deuces and chriseakin like this.

5. adam401

adam401

There was a thread on here about a 30s body dug out of a lake or river side and floated with a blow up raft or something. It was probably 10 years ago

chriseakin, Gasser 57 and Speed Gems like this.
  6. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Hippo boat would have been much funnier.

VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and Speed Gems like this.
  7. spanners

spanners

That was an epic adventure.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. adam401

adam401

I think it was a hippo boat actually haha

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Used to be a ravine locally, with a trickle of a creek in the bottom of it, that had several older cars pushed in it. Then one day, in my usual checking things out adventures, I found a 57 Chevrolet 2 door sedan, model 210, with the Del Ray option. Thing was, it was a parts car I had bought, and then sold after I removed what I needed (the engine, bellhousing/clutch, and 3 speed trans/shifter). Then I started sweating it, because I had no idea if the title had been changed, and whether or not I'd be getting a visit from the police or our state's DOT. That never happened. But, it was originally a California car, and had a seamless frame (somewhat desirable), and some good body panels still; the rockers were rusted badly, and repaired with fiberglass and bondo. I'd bought it from a neighborhood friend, and his parents had bought the car new. I forget why the guy who bought it from me bought it, and I did't know him, so hunting him down was't an option. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. henry29

henry29

11. henry29

henry29

12. Great topic, lets see some pics.

Speed Gems likes this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

There is a levee that runs along the Wisconsin River through Portage and the story goes that back in the 40's the river was rising above flood stage and that they drug car after car from a long gone salvage yard and stacked them up and covered them with tons and tons of dirt and stone. The DNR and Army Corp of Engineers rebuilt and raise the levee years ago but never remove the original structure. And although they would all be rotted beyond belief. Those cars are still there! lol Larry

14. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I would LIVE in that Hippo boat if I owned it.

15. I know there was a thread here a few years ago with a fella going out west finding cars buried along dried river beds and off cliffs and such. Don't know what became of it though. I don't know why I'm so attracted to pure junkyard garbage but it is just so intriguing.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid in the late fifties, there was a ravine nearby that had a bunch of cars dumped into it. No attempt at flood control, just some of the locals getting rid of junk. The only one I remember specifically was a Crosley station wagon.

Deuces and chriseakin like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

this was the original question

18. Friend of mine in Alexandria AL, Gary Key, has a '27 Model T roadster pickup he built from the front half of a touring car that he dug out of a ravine.

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My 33 was Bulldozed into a Northern Nevada ravine sometime in the 50's - 60's . all the small towns up here used to have voluntary cleanup campaigns , where they would haul off any old unwanted junkers . the dozer ripped the doors off the passenger side , it was deposited along with 6-8 other cars, sat there through winters , summers , sage brush fires .I hauled it to my body shop in 1981 . the wood in my car was scorched but I was able to use most of it for patterns . I had been working for a 32-33-34 collector , so had connections for parts . I had the car close to being finished by 1986 , when my Ex decided she wanted a divorce . long story short . judge gave her the house she sold it and gave me my kids , so 1n january 1999 my kids moved out and I decided to do something I'd been dreaming about . when I cut my 33 up friends and family thought I'd lost it. " WTF are you doing ? " the pics here show#1= what came out of the ravine in 81 #2 = how it looked in 86 #3 =when I started the cuts #4 Almost Finished #5 & 6 = as it is now .
    six pics 005.jpg our pic`s 229.jpg our pic`s 022.jpg our pic`s 012 (320x240).jpg IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0180.JPG

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I Had not seen that before.

21. Toqwik

Toqwik

When I was in high school in the 80s I would buy stuff I liked and take them to my grandfathers farm. I had 8 or 10 cars there. Went there one day and they were all gone, 55 and 56 f-100, 55 Chevy ht, a Hudson hornet, and a few Chevelles. Grandfather said the road washed out from the creek across the driveway and needed fill. To this day I have never went there to see if any of them were visible. Someone else owns it now, hope they go digging some day. I still have the titles.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

if you go to the " Build Index " on the 1st page , scroll down to 33's , there is a more complete explanation = 3 pages of pics and comments . D Mc

23. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

No , It belongs to a customer= 1948 , I have done a lot of restoration work on antique Indian Motorcycles , also with older H-D's as I do Metal work with lead , the older Indian tanks were soldered together ,I heat them up and take them apart ,repair the metal and solder them back together , same with cars , my 33 is all metal no bondo .The Moderators here don't like motorcycles , but My 33 is in this pic along with the finished Sheetmetal of a 30 Indian 4 cylinder .hopefully it will not be tossed out .

30indian4b.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

WOW !!! I always thought your car was cool but after learning the history of it I am blown away at your persistence and abilities. Thumbs up big time !

chryslerfan55 and Dave Mc like this.
  26. Not so much as dug up out of the ground but it started out with 227 bullet holes in it.
    96462113-3127-4DCB-A066-0468A49DA3B3.jpg

27. Wow, nice work to be able to fix that many holes and damage and then get it straight enough to paint black!

28. Very cool. I'd take an old Indian motocycle over that other brand, any day.