Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car words you learned from your dad or others.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Apr 2, 2020.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife learn something looked a little “cockeyed” but probably can’t say that,

2. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Jury Rigged, or Jerry Rigged, was something done half assed. That was about the only thing I learned from my family. Other car terms I learned from the old small pages Rod & Customs. Nosed & Decked, Shaved, slammed, were some of the terms I learned by the age of 15. No one else in my family were as into cars as I was. My 1st job in a drug store as a soda jerk, I spent part of my pay check each month on car magazines. I'd read them on the job, then the ones I loved I'd set back, and buy as soon as pay day came along.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

One time a telemarketer called @porknbeaner while we were in the garage. Now those were some new words lmao

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Don't fix it...eliminate it. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that job. Who ever designed this should be shot. OK, put someone on the line I CAN yell at. I'm not a plumber, call captain ass crack.
    99% of what Dad said was in jest and when he was really frustrated he just got quiet and figured it out. We always had Fords and Mom was the local vapor lock guru.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Also, Panther Piss...

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Also, hammered dog shit.

7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

My dad had a 1953 Dodge Coronet with the "new then" hemi. He always told my uncles that not too many cars could pass him because of the "scat gear". (You put the gas pedal down to the floor, and the car would just scat down the road.)

8. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Dad often used the term "ugly". But, if it was really ugly he called it "smugly". Super motherfu.…. ugly.

9. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Not from my Dad but a older guy I worked with said "good enough for the girls we go with..."

Tomincanada likes this.
  10. My father called the accelerator pedal a "foot feed." Of course, the term was not unique to him, and I know how it originated. He would be 101 if he were still with us, so he dated back to the days of Model T Fords. Model T's had a throttle lever on the steering column like an old Ford tractor. When the Model A came out in '28 with an accelerator pedal on the floor, many people called it a "foot feed." I'm 68 and have been driving 53 years. Not once have I ever depressed an accelerator, but I have mashed a lot of foot feeds under my size 14 right shoe.

11. Wouldn’t pull a sick whore off the piss pot.
    Fits like socks on a rooster.
    Handles like a five legged billy goat.
    Whorebitch
    I got a few more from working in the industry so long, but they are a little too colorful for here.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

427 sleeper and wandi harry like this.
  12. Dad - always said - too much car for you........we - my bro and I remember dad bringing home the 36 mor door - with what I remember was an Olds engine....to much car he said as we pleaded for him to keep it - he was a flipper from way back....mom's first car was a 1950 Olds mor door because it was a automatic....she never learned to drive a stick 1936 Ford dad brought home.jpg grandma's Olds.jpg

13. Toqwik

Toqwik

Hotter than a whore at church on nickel night. Quote from my dad.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

When I was young my mentor always said “ If you can’t fix it, fuckit, if you can’t fuck it, leave it alone!”

15. Good enough for government work!
    Life's too short for ugly cars.
    Sweating like a whore in church.
    Stop breaking things and fix something!
    Necessity is a mother

Thanks Dad.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Ours was the great WW2

Tits up and taking on water.

Also, endless amounts of:
    SNAFU & FUBAR

17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-4_4-15-21.png
    Hello,

It was 1946 and I obviously could not read, but I was told that the car we rode in from the Oregon border to Long Beach,CA was a B-U-I-C-K. My dad was able to buy a 1941 Buick Coupe and the whole family (two little toddlers) drove South to our new home area in Long Beach, until 1998. My mom had told me this story that my dad kept saying Buick, then spelling it slowly as a way to keep me occupied in the back seat with my brother.

My brother was already saying the name and was as fast as a hummingbird in “getting things” at age 4. But, as for me, my mom said that I had a puzzled look on my face at the sound and spelling of B-U-I-C-K. To us, that back seat was our playground for the trip to Long Beach. We had no idea it was a long drive and just played with what we had in that small back seat. For us, the back seat was plenty large in that
    B-U-I-C-K.

Jnaki

That was a long time ago…The story was told to me by my mom around the time our son was born. History came and went silently for my mom. Until my wife pried something out of her, my mom usually kept quiet about the past. In his older age, my dad was also, quieter about the past, too. But, he was a Buick fanatic until 1984, with one new model every 4 years.
    upload_2020-4-4_4-16-15.png Long Beach Pike 1947 (My dad drove us to the Pike, a few blocks away from where we were living at the time, in his B-U-I-C-K)

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

When I say FUBAR, people look at me like what did you say?????

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Fuck Me Runnin ! If brains was dynamite , the dumb azz could not blow his own nose ! Shut her down , she’s pumpin mud ! Went to take a shit and the hogs ate him !

20. These guys are like a bunch of monkeys, if they can’t eat it or fuck it, they shit on it. Quote from my mentor and dear friend Ron at work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

427 sleeper likes this.
  21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ain’t got enough brains to pour pizz out of a boot with the directions on the bottom . He was a pipe liner also , his favorite was , “ She’s all good boys , neat tighty and gas tight . Tighter than a bulls azz in fly time !”

427 sleeper likes this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew an older guy... even older than me... who owned a local auto customizing shop who called every car a Studebaker regardless of make.

Got yourself a new Studebaker?
    Nice Studebaker.
    So you wanna chop the top on your Studebaker...

LOL

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

283john likes this.
  23. ken1949car

ken1949car
    from chicago

If it looks wrong, it is probably wrong.

24. Wow! That's a classic in the South. A key phrase for every veteran I've known.

25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Cats meow!

Bones

Nicholas Coe and Tri-power37 like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Can't remember much, but one thing my old man would do is use a wrong word in place of something else. One I do remember was the word hope in place of help, he'd say something like, "Bill hope me get it fixed". My sister tried to educate him on it once.....big mistake. He was hard headed, more so than I am so I guess I come by mine honestly, and wouldn't hear of what my sister was trying to tell him,told her all the school books in China wouldn't change what he said. I wondered how many school books they had in China back then.....

Boneyard51 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When you guys mention “ foot feed” it reminds me of an older friend I had in my youth, that was thin and tall and had fingers that looked like they were a foot long. He would take his ‘58 Ford and rod the Hell out it or/ cut donuts, giving it all it had. When he would come back to the crowd, folks would say you were hitting it pertty hard , Charlie! He would hold up his hand with that long index finger and thumb spread out and say “ Hell, I had that much foot feed left!!! The funny thing was ,with his long digits, he was measuring about twice the “ foot feed” the old Ford started with! Just one of my memories of some great and colorful guys in my youth.

Bones

28. My wife said her dad would say,
    Wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cats ass.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  29. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

"Tappits" I guessed my dad was talking about rocker arms when he showed me how to adjust the valves (with a feeler gauge) on his '50 Chevy coupe. I didn't want to ask "Which part is the tappit?"(Stock straight 6, ivory/dark gray/fender skirts)
    That's the first time I saw what made a motor tick. It amazed me seeing all those parts working together so quietly.

30. This my friend I totally understand. Some of the best memories in my entire life were with my dad, him calling me a cheeky bastard, or sending me to a donut shop @ 6:00 on a Saturday morning because our breakfast outing turned into a clutch or a valve job or the like.

One of my fondest memories, uh hell not HAMB appropriate. Well guess I'll save it for the annual gathering of the Few. LOL

bowie and Nicholas Coe like this.