Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1940 Ford tudor Montana car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sart156, Mar 23, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If it was around Oklahoma or Arkansas id say an old moonshine runner.

Had a buddy who used to tell me of his days running "shine" and the tricks they tried on their cars.

Stogy and BigO like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A couple questions... Maybe you gents are seeing it to.

Does the right side exhaust come back and cross over into the ripple pipe just as it exits the picture?

And 2, it looks like the ends of the bones are cut off and welded to the channel going across the frame but it also looks like that same channel may connect to the original wishbone ball? Is that why the ends are cut off the bones? So that it could be welded to the center of the channel?

If so would that allow the bones to pivot slightly up and down?

Love to crawl around it and get some better pics of that under carriage :)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no chassis expert obviously...:D...but I will self correct my observation regarding the bones that I did mistake for rear AND unattached...:eek:...as they are obviously welded to the top of that rectangular chunk of Steel...that looks to have the Ball attached to the socket...so my apologies and yeah it obviously it wasn't top notch work but perhaps way more typical than imagined.

@lostone has identified it but I again hate misinforming if I can help it...and he's right these capsules are metallic glimpses warts and all...Kurtis-Kraft was not in every Historic Hotrod build

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2020-3-24_15-2-49.png

upload_2020-3-24_15-2-31.png
    upload_2020-3-24_15-1-3.png
    https://books.google.com.au/books?i...QAQ#v=onepage&q=1957 pontiac camshaft&f=false
    upload_2020-3-24_15-6-29.png
    As stated by arkiehotrods as only 200 Strato-Streak 316ci V8s were produced this one would definitely be worth some money today due to its rarity! Better still what an awesome time capsule, it should be preserved for posterity. ;)

5. Cowtown

Cowtown

If it helps or to narrow it down a little it looks like the license p[ate starts with a 19. Number 19 plates indicates it was registered in Chouteau County, Montana. The county seat for Chouteau County is Fort Benton. Not a huge town but very historical. My wife is from Fort Benton and I just bought a bunch of NOS Ford parts from the Old Ford Dealer there that closed years ago.

6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Sarti56, keep that engine in that car....no sbc please. I knew a guy in 1962 that had a 56 Poncho with that engine & carb set up & a 4 speed....it was awesome. I'm hooked............

tractorguy, chryslerfan55 and Sart156 like this.
  7. Sart156

Sart156

Thank you!

8. saltracer219

saltracer219

It looks like the pivot ball is welded to the center of that plate, probably works better than it looks.

warbird1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. deuceman32

deuceman32

It needs to be back on the street. Here is some inspiration. I have no idea who owns this car.
    [​IMG]

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

speaking of the substandard welds, "rod & custom" ran a piece about the restoration of the hirohata merc, which featured a lot of "bubble-gum welds"! remember, a lot of guys welded any way they could, which usually included using a coat hanger for welding rod.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. derbydad276

derbydad276

My Uncle had the Gas Cap trick on his 57 vette said he used to keep a welding glove in the trunk
    to twist them off on the street .
    another note I had another family member that ran that same Pontiac engine in a 57 Fairlane in the late 50's I'll ask him if he still has any pictures left

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad said they used the gas cap for the exhaust cut out all the time in the 50s. Easy off when you wanted to open up the exhaust for a street race. But when a guy was parked while out cruising someone would sneak up and steal the cap. Then the owner would have to pussy foot it back home trying to not make a lot of noise and trying not to get pulled over. He said the smart guys always had a glove box full of extra gas caps in case someone stole theirs!

kidcampbell71 and Surfcityrocker like this.
  13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The first digit on the license plate is where the car resided..... If you give me that number I can tell you what city it came from.

14. Cowtown

Cowtown

Came from Chouteau County (See previous post) Fort Benton, Montana. I just bought a bunch of NOS parts from the long time closed Ford dealer there.

Sart156 likes this.