Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a scam! Please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jul 6, 2006.

1. I've been contacted by a guy named Todd Williams,of Longview,Washington,who says he has a buyer for my Impala.I'm asking $20k.He wants to send me a cashiers check from US Bank for $29,900,for a deal that fell through.I'm supposed to deduct the $20k and send the $9,900 back to him.He says a shipping agent will come inspect the car and take care of the paperwork,then drive the car to the shipper.The address he gave me is: 551 20TH Ave.
    Longview,Wash. 98632
    209-337-1364
    Has anybody heard of this guy? Doesn't this look fishy to you?What do you do if a deal looks bad? I was thinking of telling him to wire the money to my bank,before anything else happens.What do you guys think?

2. I wouldnt sell the car unless you get green american cash. Other than that...its a scam.

I have sold to "representatives or brokers" before...but in the end, I got cash.

if the shipping agent is legit, instruct the buyer/broker to have him bring cash.

Dont settle for less.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

4. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck :)

I say scam. If Todd truly wants the Impala, he can go to US Bank, cash the one he has and purchase one in the proper amount. I wouldn't let him wire ten cents to any of my accounts.
    Good Luck

5. I dont know about others, but i deal face to face in cash. No if ands or buts, even more so on a vintage or classic vehicle...

6. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

As a general, anything that involves you being overpaid and refunding some money and has a shipping agent involved.

IS A SCAM !!!!!!!!!!

Run as fast as you can away from this deal.

B:cool:B

7. Scam. You'll send off the $9000, and then the check will bounce.

8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

(to the tune of the monty python "spam song")
    scam,scam,scam,scam,
    scam,scam,scam,scam,
    scammity scam,scammity scam....

9. Dugg

Dugg

Is it a scam?.... What ligitmate buyer would send a causal fifty percent extra just for the honor of having you send it back? ....Well, I'll take a shot at this. His cashier's check is NFG, his shipper takes the car when he shows up before you get the rubber check to the bank and then, just for fun you and the shipper drop by your bank to pick up your check for ten grand for this guy to spend on his boy friend. Hey, give me a couple of hits off that thing, someone is smokin some real good shit here.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It's a scam..Todd contacted me about my car for sale...if it smells too good to be true...IT IS!!! NO ONE needs to give money back...the object is to GET the money.

Shoot, I'd even bet you half that money you need to return Todd Williams isn't even his REAL name...and his address is probably in the bay...!!!

R-

11. greezy28

greezy28

Do what I do. You want the friggin car, get your ass over here and pay me in Franklins! Screw you and your checks, money orders or whatever other bullshit there is out there. If a bank will give the people a cashiers check, then they will give them C-notes. Me and Ben have always been friends, and everyone else is an enemy!

12. 53SledSleeve

53SledSleeve

I agree with everyone's opinion on here, but whatever you do DO NOT EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give some stranger your bank account or routing number to deposit anything. My grandpa used to say: you can have A+ credit, but cash is always king.

13. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

What Bob K said is the GOSPEL!! It is a well known SCAM!
    Brucie

14. Thanks guys.I knew I count on you guys for feedback.I keep thinking,why would this guy give me more than i'm asking and expect me to give it back?I've always been a "cash only" guy.Not real comfortable with the internet transactions.

15. old beet

old beet

There are a few HAMB guys within 15 minutes of Longview, maybe they will chime in!!...........OLDBEET

16. Tell him it will take at least 60 days,for his Check to clear your bank,
    before you can send his "refund" and deliver the car.

Or he can send you the $20,000 via Western Union.

:rolleyes:

17. I just sent him a E-mail"NO GREENS...NO BEANS!" What do you think,think he'll get it? "No shirt,no shoes...NO DICE!" (Spicoli and friends)

18. Big-Olaf

Big-Olaf
    BANNED

If you go to "Craigs list" and look at their scam warning, this one follows their script to the tee....

19. Stumpy

Stumpy

i say you keep the 9,900$ and get some new shoes....:D

20. RokonBob

RokonBob

Scam. If you'd like to entertain yourself....

1. Tell him to send the check and you will have your bank verify the funds in his account. Your bank would actually do this, but there won't be any need.

2. Tell him your brother happens to live in Longview and would be willing to come by and meet him, you know, just to make sure evrything is on the up-and-up.

See what sort of excuses you get.

21. deuce295

deuce295

Bad Bob, that is an absolute TEXTBOOK SCAM. You sent him an e-mail reply so it almost sounds like your still on the fence about this one. It is a total scam and I would just block the guy from ever being able to e-mail you again.

DON"T DO IT!!!!

22. Slonaker

Slonaker

Tell him to send you the cashiers check, then frame it and hang it in your shop. It'll make a great conversation piece. :)

Slonaker

23. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

24. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

" In God We Trust, All Others Will Pay Cash"

25. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

I m betting on a scam.....

26. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

My mapping program says the address does exist and looking at the map I've been within a few blocks of the place in Longview.

However 209 is a California area code so the phone number does not go with the address.

I think its a scam. I bet you don't get a response to your email.

27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Tell Todd that the only thing that works for you is CIF (Cash In Fist).
    That means $$$$ in your hand.

28. Gumpa

Gumpa

First off: I live in Washington about 100 miles from Longview and the area code there is (360) not 209. I couldn't even raise him google search of the phone number. The area code is Modesto, Californina. I would suggest that you just relist it and sell it the old fashioned way. Gumpa

29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What absolutely cracks me up about these scam guys is if the check was good and it was actual honest to goodness money then why would he TRUST YOU BOB that you would send the $ 9,900. back to him and never send it, thus screwing him out of the money.
    Why - because he has nothing to lose, because the check is no good and he's hoping you are a sucker to deposit his check for $29,900. and immediatly send him a check for
    $ 9,900. so your check will be good and clear and his check won't and your out.
    I bet if you did do it, he would have the broker to your house with in a hour of you sending a check, so not only would he get your $ 9,900 out of your account, but your car too and would be long gone.
    Don't forget/ checks take 10 full days to get a clearing and if his is no good it will take all of that for the system to check NSF.
    If you have funds in your account and write him a check for $ 9,900 as soon as the check hit - it gets deleted from your account and YOU ARE OUT That money.
    The BANKS HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO MAKE SURE YOU WAIT FOR HIS CHECK TO CLEAR BEFORE YOU WRITE CHECKS ON THE MONEY.
    THE BANKS WILL NOT BE AT FAULT.
    Hope you get the picture Bob.
    You would be a VERY FOOLISH man if you did this.
    He wants your car / have him go to your bank with you / with cash that the banks can check right there for counterfeit.
    I wouldn't do it any other way, and as I said, if he really wants your car, he would be more than happy to.
    I did that a couple years ago with a guy that bought a car from me at Goodguys. He stayed over night - we went to my bank with his cash that I had checked for counterfeit. He didn't mind and understood - he wanted my car and since he did all the things I asked, I bought him breakfast.
    Do the right thing Bob.
    Good luck.
    Cob
    Forum Moderator

30. Maybe you guys missunderstood.I posted to get some advice.You guys came to my rescue.Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.I sent him back an E-mail,"NO GREENS...NO BEANS".I've seen posts before on the HAMB about scams,so I figured someone would've seen this before.I'm part of a great BIG family of car guys,who look out for each other.Hope I can return the favor some day.Sounds kinda sappy huh?