Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ohio Drag Racing Family dying from the virus.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Petejoe, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It hasn't peaked yet, unfortunately.......

Hombre and tractorguy like this.
  3. Terrible story. Maybe a wakeup call for some that feel this is no big deal. Stay safe everybody.

Hombre, tractorguy, Driver50x and 3 others like this.
  4. I fear this is going to happen to a lot of us. We are in a war now and the enemy is invisible and has no boundary.:(

Hombre, tractorguy, Deuces and 2 others like this.

5. Our granddaughter is a Nurse & Paramedic with Anderson Memorial hospital and told me this morning that there was a 3 death from covid-19 yesterday.

We are a close family and I haven't seen her in the last 4 weeks, I worry about her and everyone else in the medical field, these people put their lives on the line every day.

Her other grandparents urged her to quit but she is a determined person and say's this is what she has trained for & always wanted to do, she is working double shifts and like everyone else at the hospital sleep deprived.

If you are a person of faith please pray for all involved, we are all susceptible to this insidious virus and I;m afraid it will get worse before it gets better. HRP

grumpy65, Hombre, cktasto and 24 others like this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More people pass every year from the flu ..Quarantine the high risk people and get the country moving again...Sympathies to families that lost loved ones

7. catdad49

catdad49

Danny, thoughts and Prayers to All the people that are trying to help others get through this pandemic. I have added these front liners to my nightly Prayers and suggest that others do the same. Even though we can't physically be as one we can be in other ways. All the Best to my fellow HAMBERS, Carp.

grumpy65, Hombre, OLSKOOL57 and 7 others like this.
  8. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's attitudes like this that will drag this out way longer than it needs to. Yes, as of today, more people died last yer of the flu, but right now 6,000 MORE people have died of COVID-19. I know of people who were NOT at high risk who have died from this. We're all at risk.

grumpy65, clem, Hombre and 25 others like this.
  9. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Dont be fooled. This is not the Flu. Look at the data.

grumpy65, Hombre, OLSKOOL57 and 16 others like this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This shit is real. Batten the Hatches.... and stay safe.

11. My wife believes I had it back in February. We both have had the common flu and pneumonia shots. I had the severe headache, fever, and dry cough. lasted a little over two weeks almost three. She was not even sick. Who knows?

12. prpmmp

prpmmp

Johns Hopkins University Sent this excellent summary:

* The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.

*HEAT melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees F) for washing hands, clothes and everything. In addition, hot water makes more foam and that makes it even more useful.
    * Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% DISSOLVES ANY FAT, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.
    * Oxygenated water helps long after soap, alcohol and chlorine, because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but you have to use it pure and it hurts your skin.

* NO BACTERICIDE SERVES. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; they cannot kill what is not alive with anthobiotics, but quickly disintegrate its structure with everything said.
    * NEVER shake used or unused clothing, sheets or cloth. While it is glued to a porous surface, it is very inert and disintegrates only between 3 hours (fabric and porous), 4 hours (copper, because it is naturally antiseptic; and wood, because it removes all the moisture and does not let it peel off and disintegrates).
    24 hours (cardboard), 42 hours (metal) and 72 hours (plastic).
    But if you shake it or use a feather duster, the virus molecules float in the air for up to 3 hours, and can lodge in your nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold, or artificial as air conditioners in houses and cars. They also need moisture to stay stable, and especially darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm and bright environments will degrade it faster.
    * UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.
    * The virus CANNOT go through healthy skin.
    * Vinegar is NOT useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.
    * NO SPIRITS, NOR VODKA, serve. The strongest vodka is 40% alcohol, and you need 65%.
    * LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.
    * The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.
    * This is super said, but you have to wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc. And when using the bathroom.
    * You have to HUMIDIFY HANDS DRY from so much washing them, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better. * Also keep your NAILS SHORT so that the virus does not hide there. From the Ford Barn! Pete

13. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thank you prpmmp. That is the most useful information I have heard or read since this started.
    It makes protecting and avoiding process much more understandable to me any way. Anyone thinking this
    is not so serious is badly mistaken. Living in the New Orleans area and hearing things evolving in the city
    first hand from a N.O. police officer, would certainly
    cause one to consider a more concerned opinion!

14. I hear there are 2 strains of it, one worse than the other. One family in town, the whole family has it. One of the young adults has asthma and had breathing issues.. calls 911. Rescue truck shows up and refuses to take him. The family had to drive him to the ER, sent home after a brief exam.

I passed a doc-in-the-box (urgent care center) on the way to work, this was at 6:40 and already had a line of cars that had to be 1000' deep. They advertised a 15-minute result test to the 1st 100 per day, but you have to be showing symptoms to get the test. Some people are just driving up, symptoms or none. They are starting to panic.

My girlfriend's office, at least 9 have it and another 6 or more are sick and have symptoms, they are all home. She is working from home for a week already, she took the test and is negative. I was as sick as a dog in Florida almost a month ago. But no real CV19 symptoms, went to an urgent care once I got home and was screened, got a steroid, z-pack and a cough syrup. In about a week I was fine, girlfriend had something about 10 days ago, not the same as what I did. So maybe I had it already, I have not been tested.

I am out of work in 2 weeks (retiring) and will take some PTO as well. We have 2 buildings, the other one someone went home with a fever yesterday and tested positive, they are decontaminating the area he was in today and both buildings will be cleaned over the weekend. So that makes 3 at my place and we have around 500 here.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I was taking my new flathead out on a trial run this morning and needed gas. I alway bring along some wipes when doing this but forgot.
    So I improvised. I washed my hands with gasoline and finished it up with windshield cleaner.
    I can’t see any outer layer of fat on that virus standing up to gas.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. I've made posts and deleted them in regards to this whole thing since it's not HAMB friendly. This thread might get deleted, but in the mean time I hope it makes a difference. Covid 19 is not like the flu. There is no vaccine available for this yet which puts all of us at a disadvantage. For anybody following along, this pandemic has been killing people at roughly 11-12% compounded daily. The common flu kills average roughly 1200 people per day worldwide. Covid 19 is now killing close to 4500 per day. I am not a fearful person and I'm sorry if the stats scare people into mania, but in reality we need to take this serious. You can end up having it with no symptoms and unknowingly get people around you sick or to die. Don't believe everything on the net (except these are known stats), and don't believe what the Chinese government tell us. Don't put your anger on Chinese people, it needs to be on the Chinese dictatorship. I'm not much for attaching links but these are facts.

Also I'd add... compare deaths to recoveries. Comparing deaths to total cases doesn't make any sense as we don't know what those outcomes will be with the current people that have it. So using my way....cases that have outcomes....the United States has roughly 30% death rate, vs 70% recovered.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Hombre, tractorguy, mnjeff and 2 others like this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A family in Los Angeles decided to have a birthday party for a 1 year old the other day. They had around 50 people when the police had to show up to disperse the party. The party goers decided to argue with the Police and it got pretty ugly.
    The police had to establish a skirmish line while the people were screaming and yelling and refusing to do the social distancing.
    I guess this was Darwin sorting out the stupid.
    Don't be stupid!

18. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

We are all at risk, it is killing perfectly healthy people. I read an account from parents of a 16 year old girl in France who died after showing symptoms and developing breathing difficulties, she had no pre-existing conditions. Yesterday the youngest person to die in the UK was 22, again no other ailments.

Besides that, even if you feel not to be at risk you could spread it and endanger others.

Think of it as some grinding dust near an engine - it might not affect it at all, but if it gets near any bearings its not going to end well...

Hombre, mnjeff, rod1 and 6 others like this.
  19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Several differences between this and the Flu, it is 3 times more contagious, the mortality rate is about 10 times higher and the symptoms show after you can spread the virus. You are welcome to your opinion but every one is high risk now.

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

Edit; In my response to responses I overlooked the tragedy reported in the link posted by the OP. How sad to lose so much of one's family to this virus. My sincere condolences to the Conkey Family.
    I ventured out yesterday for the first time in weeks. I needed to exchange my oxy-acetylene tanks and our supplier was open. I live in a rural area with very low population density. Talk about soul-searching. I loaded up the tanks, several pairs of gloves, masks, and a package of disinfectant wipes. My biggest unknown was how to get cash from the ATM. I used gloves and wipes on everything. We swapped tanks and pleasantries from a distance and I used gloves and wipes to load the tanks.
    On the way back I passed our great burger joint doing take out. It’s been months since I had a big old burger so with gloves and wipes I went in, ordered and waited in my car. All while not touching anything bare skinned and maintaining the 6’ distance. The gloved girl brought my stuff and I headed home. I’m sure somewhere in my protective scenario there was a contamination opportunity but I did my best to protect them and me and still get something done.
    Strange days........

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  21. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I agree and understand the severity of this but I do question some of the numbers.

It's death rate is 0.66 ok but I've read of some of these deaths and wonder how accurate they are.

Had local person die, according to their friends they had serious drug and alcohol
    Problems and blew their heart out. Doctor tests and comes back positive for virus, immediately deemed virus death even though friends, family say they showed no symptoms.

Again I understand the dangers but a 91 year old having a heart attack testing positive with no symptoms is just that, a heart attack.

hotrodjack33, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so now you are just worried about the statistics ? - one person sick, and one dies that is enough for me to stay in as much as possible, and take every safety precaution when have to go out - no one knows when this will all change for the better - don't rush into being part the Coronavirus world

grumpy65, Hombre, tractorguy and 7 others like this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

About the only decent thing that will come out of this COVID-19 situation, will hopefully be, the death of The Hoffman Group. Consider where this disease started, the delay they created before bringing it known to the rest of world, the disastrous effect it has had on the world, and how dependent we and the entire world have become on them. China has changed the world, AGAIN!!! Hard lesson to learn; now check your labels. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

never heard that one - the virus fired up in China - but, don't think that it was by a auto parts company

25. GeeRam

GeeRam

Indeed.
    How bad you get it, if you get it, is also down to viral load, which is why plenty of younger people with no pre-existing conditions are getting it, and dying from it.
    If you get exposed to many doses of the virus from many different people in a short space of time, through not maintaining social distancing, or not regular hand washing or accidentally touching your face with un-washed hands etc., then you are more likely to need hospital treatment or worse.
    I've lost two old friends in the past 5 days to this virus, and the husband of one of my cousins who worked on the London Tube rail system has been tested positive and is now fighting it....

Hombre and tractorguy like this.
  26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

John Hopkins U says that info did not come from them and that some of the info is totally wrong. Ex: Listerine does not work as described.

27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know a trip or two to my local NAPA is just not worth it. Staying in the garage and now have to order basic parts online and no wrecking yard walking for a bit . Seems like things I want like pedal set up and related manual transmission pieces that are a couple of miles away I cannot go pull myself so I can get all the small bits.

Hombre and nochop like this.
  28. The only satistic that counts is deaths per million population. Mexico aint doing anything and there deaths per million are lower than the USA. Take New York city from the equasion and the USA deaths per million will be much lower. This will drag on and eventually fizzle out thru the herd immunity.

29. tjm73

tjm73

Mexico isn't testing or taking this as seriously as the rest of the world. Their numbers are not much more reliable than China's.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...rves-with-coronavirus-strategy-idUSKBN2144761

Hombre, mad mikey, nochop and 3 others like this.
  30. flatford39

flatford39

Your statement is just ignorant. I am sorry but it's one of the stupidest things I have read on the entire internet today.
    I sincerely hope that you and your family survive this pandemic and I pray that you find the empathy to care for others.

grumpy65, b-body-bob, Hombre and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.