Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giving thanks, A few days early.. My 1936 ford woodie project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Nov 22, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats Jeff, that's pretty awesome!!! Would you mind cutting up that nice firewall and sending it down too!! Hahaha best of luck!!!

2. plmczy

plmczy

Man when you step in it you really step in it. Congrats man, at least 2009 has been good to somebody, sure as hell wasn't me.

3. foghorn62

foghorn62

Glad you liked what you saw the next day Jeff. I knew there were some 40 parts in the trailer, but never imagined they would be something that you could use. I'm glad it's all going to someone who has the talent and patience to do something with it.

Now that the 36 Woodie project is out of my cross hairs, I can get serious about the 41 GMC in a real way.

I still hope to find a 36-40 Ford Woodie some day, but hopefully not one that has to start from the ground up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Tim,
    Magnolia, TX

4. A '49 Mercury Woody is a dream of mine! They're SOOOO expensive though! 36's are so rare too! Hope to follow your progress...Congrats!

5. sawzall

sawzall

thanks tim.. a pleasure..

thanks bob.. a merc shoebox wagon is on my list as well.

6. henryj429

henryj429

I've always had a soft spot for 36 Fords, and woodies - once ya build one you're hooked.

You've got a once in a lifetime score there, Jeff - have a ball with it!

7. Jeff,i have tail gate hardware for a 36 and a 36 woody title

8. sawzall

sawzall

so whats the first thing I do?? after spending $$$ on another project car??

Cut the darn thing in half!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the frame this was on.. was sooo bad.. I ended up cutting it in half, just to get it out of the trailer..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. sawzall

sawzall

made new rockers

[​IMG]

and did a bit of mockup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

then sent it out for sandblasting..

[​IMG]

when it came home in july I spent the a good bit of time fixing the rear floor.. and working on other cars.

[​IMG]

hoping to soon have a front header to copy and to borrow my friends spare rear door to duplicate..

not looking like it will be done this year.. but maybe next..

10. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bitchin'! I've been waiting on progress from the Sultan! Looks like you're off to a good start!

11. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

that is an awesome story. congrats on the score...I cant wait to see the '36 coming together. ..oh yeah, love that '40 woodie!

12. sawzall

sawzall

pushed it outside.. for a few "supermockup" photos..

[​IMG]

olscrounger likes this.
  13. 270283

With your talent and work ethic, I imagine it will be done and driving by Labor Day. Looks good so far.

14. foghorn62

foghorn62

Wow Jeff, You've come a long way already! I'll be up your way for Hershey. Hope I can see more then.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome man. Happy for ya!

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

17. sawzall

sawzall

I'll be hershey with the 40 woodie for the national woodie club board meeting. look me up saturday morning if you want.

thanks andy..

18. Abomination

Abomination

You could make a million selling the patterns you make!

19. sawzall

sawzall

September 2010 until march 2020.. PRoGRESS?
    thought it might be time to update.. I know alot of guys are stuck at home due to this covid stuff.. so what have I been doing??

first.. Ive been raising two kids, (each with lots of activities).. and have had several "car projects" as well as a mess of woodworking projects, and a full time job.. lets just say that things move slowly..

lets see, 2010-2013

[​IMG]

Somehow managed to buy (and fortunately sell off) three different sets of front fenders.

ALTHOUGH this set looked good (in the dark) they were full of bondo.. the next pair I found needed extensive repair at the rear, and were cracked and repaired in the middle..
    I choose to move those along.. finally I found some fiberglass front fenders, (oh well) and settled on those simply because they needed LESS repair than every other 36 front fender I found. (and were MUCH cheaper)

2012?

Thanks to a Hamber. I drove to Maine to buy another 36 woodie, unfortunately all of which came home in the bed of my truck. However i foolishly started to make two pieces of each piece of wood (because i was going to have two of these!)

2012 installed a new lower cowl, started to patch up the rear floor.
    [​IMG]

2013 Moved to a another house with a bigger garage

2014 or so I got a call looking for a woodie roof (which I had)
    Needless to say, I sold the roof off the car.. and then proceeded to remake some of it.

2015 managed to locate a foundry that began manufacturing some cast iron parts for the car.. additionally I made a few extra parts (maybe i can break even someday..?)
    I found a repro chassis that was in poor storage locally.. Ironically it was posted here on the hamb
    took it directly to the sandblaster, and slid it under the car..

early in 2016 A friend stopped by to visit and asked about my original chassis (he needed a chassis for his 1940 ford) we struck a deal and I continued to cut pieces of wood for the car from time to time,

Sold my better cowl to a friend for his project.

Installed a Speedway el cheapo steering column that no one else wanted. Never installed the steering wheel.

2017 another friend needed running boards badly.. so I reluctantly sold him the original running boards. LITERALLY the very next day, a brand new repro set (with slight damage) came up for sale at a great price.. bought those..

[​IMG]

2018 decided I was NOT going to pony up for a uber expensive radiator, so I drew up this brace (sorta like a 30's chevy would have) and had my friend cnc plasma cut it..
    [​IMG]

made a few more pieces of wood for it

2019. Made a trip to the Street Rod Nationals.. in the swap meet I found a 1936 woodie dashboard that was a little rough, but cheap.. Better souvenir than those dumb mugs they give away..
    scored some neat aluminum wheels for cheap

[​IMG]

Slipped a dummy motor and a 5 speed in place, a little measuring and research helped me realize that a stock driveshaft from a midsize 80s GM car would fit with out cutting.. a local guy had one in his shed, cheapest driveshaft ever. (still need the problem solver u joint)

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. sawzall

sawzall

During the first weekend of the 2020 (C0vid) crisis I decided to swap the reproduction floor I had brought home from maine, onto the original car.
    At this point the upper cowl is original.. the lower cowl floors, rockers are all repaired or replaced..

[​IMG]

Decided that the second dash I had was not something anyone would ever want, AND it needed a glove box door, rather than "waste" my good door on the project, i decided to made a quick hammerform (off cuts from a cnc job) and create a new aluminum glove box lid)
    [​IMG]

accidentally bumped the aluminum the wrong way on my first attempt.. creating a ultra rare aluminum glove box lid for right hand drive wagon

[​IMG]

"Finished" dash
    [​IMG]

FINALLY I gave up.

I had been trying to sell this steering wheel.. but decided I really needed a better way to steer..
    Unfortunately I realized I needed an aluminum adapter to accomplish this and had to "turn" a square plate of aluminum into a round disc on my lathe.

Not shown is the ebrake handle which mounts to the trans and works as original.. I may extend the shifter so that its closer to the stock length..

I did splurge and bought a wilwood hyd clutch / brake pedal assembly. Previously I have hidden brake systems.. this time I'll fly the master cylinder right out on the firewall as god intended..
    fwiw.. I think i can hide the UGLY of the pedal assembly (inside the car) with a false firewall when the interior goes in.

as for the steering wheel.. maybe if I blast it it'll look cast? And the column drop.. I hope to hide it with the aftermarket turn signal switch.

decided to install trim on the hood / grill.

turns out that machine screws a decent substitute for the stock clips

[​IMG]

This catches us up. currently looking for a pair of FIBERGLASS rear fenders for woodie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  21. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Missed you a lot Sawsall.Glad you are back.

22. woody jim

woody jim

JEFF, I CANT KEEP UP WITH YOU, YOU HAVE THINGS SO MANY GOING ON

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  23. Great to see the progress and great to have yo back on, Jeff!!!

24. Good to see you back, I have always enjoyed watching you bring back these woodies, my pal Rene' had a stroke and his 40 Deluxe woody never really got much done.

He was building it into a street rod so I bought the front and rear suspension, he put a new front and rear suspension under the car along with a new engine and transmission.

The car has been in storage for the last 4-5 years. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Growing up there were two '36 Woodies I remember, one in the Compo Beach parking lot in Westport every Summer and the one rotting away in the woods in Wilton on the way. Good to see you making progress on yours. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. sawzall

sawzall

Worst photo ever..

I developed a workflow to reverse engineer the n.o.s. roof rail I have thanks to @titus

Created a 3d.solid model and dropped said model into some cam software so that I could cnc machine the hard maple here in my shop. I only had one roof rail so I mirrored the part in software and made sure both had morticed holes for the roof cross rails.

Hopefully the original rails I have will fit ok...

Previously I had drawn and had the corner brackets cnc plasma cut and I worked with a foundry to reproduce the c pillar.

Basically everything will be new and for the most part reverse engineered right here in my small shop...
    IMG_20200424_000920_748.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven, The37Kid and rod1 like this.
  27. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Looks great...And that is a serious bearing in that home built e-wheel.:)

28. sawzall

sawzall

Rough week, lost a friend to the big "C" and another has tested positive for this Corona crap..

looking up for hope, I decided to work on the roof this week.

Managed to create a 3d model of the roof cross rails, I should have just used my band saw for these dumb things - like everyone else does.. but with my mind other places its likely Id have taken off a finger..

hopefully my dimensions are good maybe later today I'll cut one out in something like pine to check fit..

here is the model. such a pile of work for such a simple part..

Attached Files:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm following along, the 3D modeling stuff is over my head, bandsaws I understand, still have my left index finger. If you look close the stitch line it still there 55+ years later, so is the saw.o_O Bob

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Man I love it! I'm a trim carpenter by trade and SO want to build a woodie. I know of a 28/9 model A fourdoor that I think would make a kool phantom woodie. I would use the cowl and build back from there.
    Keep up the great work!