Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '55 ford 6 volt, electric fuel pump inspiration?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by tred, Apr 1, 2020.

1. tred

tred

so i've decided to put an electric fuel pump on my wife's '55 Ford, for two reasons, first to assist in filling the float bowls if the car has sat inn the garage for a while, and secondly, to feed the triple carb setup when she wants to step on it to pass someone or to climb hills, etc.
    i have purchased a pump, one that is compatible with 6 volt, reverse polarity electrical, and that pushes between 2 - 6 psi, which is perfect for this car.
    i know specifically where a fuel pump should be in the fuel system and all of that, and i'm tired of laying under the car today looking for an ideal place to mount it, i think i know what i want to do, but before i commit i am looking for inspiration more than asking a question, has anyone else done this and do you have a photo of a really trick install? i am attaching a photo o
    f the engine it will feel because the HAMB loves photos!

thank you in advance,
    tred
    20200401_151258.jpg

harpo1313 likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As close to the tank as you can has always been the best practice. Electric pumps push better than suck. The fuel line crosses over frame near the front of the tire on a V8 so I’d try to find a spot between the two spots.
    Funny that the stock six FP has trouble. 3 single barrels should not need that much fuel. A stock V8 pump using a 5/16” line will feed dual quads wide open throttle at 100mph.
    Is the fuel line 5/16” or possibly 1/4” like older 6’s...

3. tred

tred

it is a 5/16 line, yes.

4. 54vicky

54vicky

do not forget to allow for pressure regulator in your plan.

5. An electric pump in a perfect world would be below the level of the fuel it is moving so that it gravity primes itself. That said that is not always possible and as long as it is not trying to pull fuel 6 feet above the tank you are usually OK.

When I was young I mounted a bunch of them on the firewall. The older pulse pumps were good with that. Not the ideal situation but that is what happened a lot. The newer high volume pumps don't like that set up so much. I am trying to remember on the '55 is there was a plate on the frame just in front of the rear end or not. My brain says yes but I have not been under a Five Five Ford in a while. If it does have one that would work just fine.

Nice choice of cars by the way, be nice to your wife and rubber mount the pump if you can.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 threads for the same question, same car, same photo.....guessing your not happy yet..