Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are Delco generator identical looking parts interchangeable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene T Johnson, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Gene T Johnson

Gene T Johnson

While reassembling my engine after a complete rebuild I somehow dropped my Delco generator and broke off the rear end plate mounting ear. I thought about putting on an alternator but the smallest one I have hits the exhaust manifold and I don't want to fork out the bucks for ANOTHER one. I even considered about using some aluminum/zinc (?) solder/brazing rods to reattach the ear, but enough time passed that I lost it.

I found an identical LOOKING one NOS for $25 on eBay, made for 55 Buick /Pontiac w AC, but don't know if it will interchange. Not much info online on the topic so I'm hoping someone here has experience with old generators. s-l640.jpg

2. jaracer

jaracer

I might have missed it, but what do you have to start with? It's hard to say if this part will work if we don't know what you are trying to mate it to.

3. 1. need make model and engine in your car.
    2. image of the generator
    3. there is an alignment pin, approx 4 o'clock that will should match yours.
    4. Once you line up the pin see if the lower mount lines up with the bracket.
    5. I have dropped a few and never broke off the rear plate.
    6. You better check your armatue to see if it is bent.

4. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

That would help, more helpful would be the Delco model number of the generator he is working on. My Delco parts interchange shows three different model generators for a '55 Pontiac with AC they are split between two parts groups...

town sedan likes this.

5. Check to make sure that the ground brush is in the same position as your original brush. Dont flip the polarity.

Oldmics