Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Casual Atomic Lab Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20200330_120704.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, it's from an Underwood #5, I tore apart years ago, I was just teasing you to see if you would comment, it's amazing the quality of those parts that you never see unless the machine is taken apart!

5window, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  3. Any space with concrete is fancier than mine...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,I'm thinking that's very cool. I'm a bit less neat an clean,being my first shop space was really the weeds in backyard of house I grew up in,with cardboard box as a creeper. I still have same type creeper LOL

5. buford_59

buford_59

Ryan and fellow H.A.M.B.ers

As I sit here feeling like a bag of crap on a nice spring day (10c 50f) , after watching your tour, I'm going to drag my sorry ass out to the shop. I'm extending my loft (read large shelving for storing junk) so I can get more junk off the floor so I have enough floor space to start working on my '39 Buick.

My next task is to organize my tools. Like you, Ryan, I am a woodworker as well as a car guy. HRP, I'm feeling like you; I know I have lots of tools for different tasks, but I need idiot strings on them just to keep track of them, more so as I use them.

My shop is 26' wide X 24' long for half of it and 32' long for the other half. The ceiling is 12'-6" tall for a future hoist. About as big as I could get on my small 55' X 100' lot.
    There will be no video 'cause I don't want to be turned in as an out of control hoarder. When I start pulling shit off the floor it would be a good time to purge.

Stay safe everybody and we'll get through this #@&^%)*& pandemic eventually.

DoUg

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dang !!! I guess my life is messy .:oops::D

dana barlow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot damn! Behind the curtain, pretty cool Boss!

dana barlow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. 1929rats

1929rats

DUDE ! What a shop....has my wheels turning! But I gotta say, I love that you call your shop (or trying to) "the Lab". That's what I call mine via this beautiful old "laboratory" sign. Made on once piece Oak with smaltz paint and black/gold paint! Came from MIT in the 1940's (was hung in the 1920's)... 20191126_115406 (1).jpg 20191126_115406.jpg

9. Great looking shop and while it's off topic, dig the Porsche too! The silver corrugated metal on the outside gives it a real neat look , kinda reminds me of a vintage military/warehouse building. Nice job!

10. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Nice shop...thanks for the tour!

11. Ryan, cool video.
    Al.

12. John Starr

John Starr

If your shop is messy, then mine needs to be encircled with yellow safety tape and declared off limits. There’s an art to just walking through mine without incurring minor injury. I could roller skate around yours.

Cool shop. gonna buy some skates and pay you a visit one day.

13. Great tour! Thanks! Mine is utterly destroyed right now.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn, I think your shop and office is bigger than my house! And a hell of a lot cleaner. We finally got rid of some furniture in the house and got some space back, but my carport/ shop area is full, just a path down one side of the car and one in front of it. Bad thing is, I don’t have enough room to reorganize mine until I get the car out of the way, and who knows how much longer that will be.....

15. snelson57

snelson57

Man I’ve always loved that Pratt coupe.

16. @Malcolm Glad I’m not the only one who flashed back to the outlaw downhill racing after seeing the soapbox derby car!

raven likes this.
  17. What! No bathroom?:eek:
    I am showing my age. :rolleyes:
    I like the work space you have, I have to change mine up from wood work to metal work to paint work.
    I do have a bathroom and again at my age it is a must. I would love to have that much space, but I would end up with a bigger mess. A least with mine I have to clean it each time I do something. Thanks for the tour. It was a good one.
    My space.;) garage art 008.jpg

18. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just watched your video on the desk construction-very impressive!!

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ryan, Thanks for the tour ! I am wondering what brand is your table saw ? Mine looks similar, it's a Mooradian, an LA company that started at the end of WW2, and has a 12" blade and sanding disc. It's special to me, as one of my hero/mentors used it for over 40 years on projects including Hotrods, boats and airplanes. He did all of the custom work on the shoebox on the Nov. 56 Cover of R&C. IMG_3862.JPG IMG_3863.JPG IMG_4551.JPG

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... Your table saw is amazing. Mine is an early Delta Unisaw... More info here:

21. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks for the visit, actually felt like I was out of the house. I call my work place my shop, my wife calls it a train wreck but it works for me and it being on our property probably saved our marriage especially since this stay at home thing.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great tech on the extension table, looks like time well spent.

23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work Boss.
    Way back when we were running interior trim we would set up a table saw extension in about 45 minutes, but it was not, of course, for a permanent shop.
    [not sure it is appropriate to post this pic here; went to Garage Journal to post it but couldn't find the video, didn't want to post this pic over there in response to your Atomic Lab shop tour. Anyway. please delete pic if necessary]
    CCI08202017_0031.jpg

24. Me too Jeff. Pushed me over the edge to finally finish my new mobile work station/toolbox. Now I got more room on my front workbench to build more model cars.!!
    BTW...HD pallet racking makes the best workbench. Nice solid work surface(3/4" mdf) and plenty of strong storage above. And, upper shelf gives you place to hang fluorescent light, for work surface/desk.

JT

chryslerfan55 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  25. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Looks like a fun place to hang out in! Thanks for the tour!

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Really neat, Ryan.

27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Very cool shop and thanks for sharing

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome when some think of Ryan its in a corner office top of a 50 story high rise. Definately a down on earth guy. Thanks for the tour Ryan.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

30. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo Ryan. Buster Keaton would have been very proud of your saw set up and the modifications you applied to it, he was a perfectionist when it came to all things mechanical. BUSTER KEATON.jpg