Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2020.

1. One thing I have seen recently is common sense is not so common anymore

2. That's just past Rainbow......they're also doing something around here on a side of a Howards building next to Outback.

Cruised around last night, good to see a lot of the places we used to dine in at are still open (take out only). I still think driving is ok, as long as we don't get out.......getting gas is just me and the machine :).

chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Someone said this current generation would be referred to a Coronathians, or something like that. Not such a good name, as in medical jargon, the Cornona refers to the glans circular of a mans penis, and we all know of the various slang terms for that anatomy. If I could go back to my career in healthcare, I would in a heartbeat, virus inclusive. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. chiro

chiro

'56 Vette??? That's a rare one. Only 3500 built that year. Got any pics?
    Andy

Barn Hunter and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barn Hunter and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

7. Wait for the name "Co'Rona Vyress" to become popular....

1oldtimer, J_J2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Communication in a hot rod garage? There are several ways to showcase what is going on in the builds. Tripod or table top device holders will help...

Hello,

A friend wanted to do Facetime or do a video conference via a program called Zoom. We tried to set it up on a home computer, but there was a problem. On an Ipad it seemed easier to use, but was very glitchy. So, as popular as Zoom is, our granddaughter explained that Facetime on our Ipads or Iphones are clearer and easier to use. But it is not for a lot of people in the same time conference platform like Zoom.

Lucky, or unlucky as it may be, the kids are using ZOOM from their schools to do their lessons. Some are with their teachers and their quirks. (Have to dress like it is normal school, not a bedroom or in the pool, etc.) So, there is room for plenty of shenanigans to take place while listening to the instructor. There are also other classes where it is straight computer screen work and postings.

Our granddaughter is almost as busy as a normal day since the classes are run on the time schedule like the regular program. If your English class was scheduled for 11:00 am, that is when your class is online and attendance is required.

All schools are different and it seems like anyone can use the program like Facetime or Zoom for more than one, on a conference call. These will be part of what the stories will be for the current youngsters... "How we coped with the pandemic as teenagers."

Jnaki

We did a Facetime conference with our granddaughter and her mom. Their day is full with these conference calls and video online education programs. So, a normal Facetime call to the cool grandparents allows the up close and personal contact a little better. Since we are all locked in place, it was nice to actually see our granddaughter in real time... Wow, in two months, she has grown up, "waaay" too fast.

It worked quite well and it was nice seeing them again, even though it was on a small Iphone screen. The clarity was pretty outstanding for a small screen, but apple screen resolutions are known for super clear and bright.
    upload_2020-3-29_5-1-24.png
    One thing popped into our minds, being older those Facetime phone cameras do nothing to make us old folks look good. If you are young, nothing makes you look bad. But for the old folks, it does not matter how many angles you use in setting up the Facetime conference call, we old folks just look awful. Shooting from the top looks better, but then one needs a taller tripod and holder. Each person will have their time in using one or the other to “reach out and touch someone.”

If you know of someone living alone, these Facetime or Zoom style calls does wonders for all of us. Except that you have to give some warning to the recipient before calling. Otherwise, lounging around in PJ’s may just be the worst.

Setting up a conference call via ZOOM would make “social distancing” and “locked in place” a little less like the impending doom. Set it up in your garage and show your friend(s) what your need in the hot rod help area or show the finished results. The number of participants is large and for a cost, hundreds if necessary.

The Zoom program can be used on larger computer/laptop screens with as many people (small squares) surrounding the full screen that are participating. It is better for larger groups. It is one of the more popular programs being used by the school districts here in So Cal.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to stop reading this thread. Folks, it's only been a couple of weeks SELF quarantine and y'all are getting antsy already. Sit back and imagine 4-, 5-, or more YEARS as a POW that people went through, not knowing if they'd be tortured or killed each day, and they survived. Think of them. The vast majority will manage to survive this inconveience.

Finn Jensen, Hombre, Deuces and 12 others like this.
  10. choptop40

choptop40

6ft rule makes sense if your married to a barracuda...ha ha ha..some of these posts are cheering me up....

Hombre, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. About 120 new cases in Ky today, 7 more deaths since yesterday.

12. Just remember you are not stuck at home. You are safe at home. We are gonna get through this.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Nailhead A-V8, Hombre, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I’ve spent the last 2 days in the garage with my truck, unfortunately it’s also my office for the foreseeable future. At least I can keep working, there’s so many that can’t.

FED29743-32BB-4320-98EC-20B251B67FD3.jpeg

14. I got back to finishing my 1/8th scale Mysterion model I started in about 2001!

First mockup!.jpg IMG_0694.JPG

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm not a social person and I'm retired so staying home is not too tough, right now anyway.
    I've been wanting to build another car for a while, long enough to collect most of what it might take, parts wise,
    and I work slow so consumables should last a little while.

This represents nearly three weeks of a couple hours a day

IMG_20200401_142823.jpg

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

actually, slower is probably better, might have a lot of time to kill

J.Ukrop, Stogy, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  17. So many have been laid off, or lost their job completely. I work 24 on and 48 off, but we've been asked to list our availability for overtime through the end of May because we're putting on extra ambulance crews. Not really excited about it, but we have a job to do.

Hombre, TagMan, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. ken bogren

ken bogren

And the rest of us are are darn thankful you and all first responders and medics are able and willing to do that job, especially considering the risks you face!

Hombre, Stogy, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  19. Happy to do it. Proud of what i do for a living. It truly is the greatest job in the world. It's different than what you'd think right now, people aren't calling 911. And if somebody does call, they truly need an ambulance. The majority of people are avoiding the health care system in my area. My wife works in the emergency department at the university of Ky hospital. It's a level 1 trauma center, and on average has 140 patients at any time. In the past couple of weeks, she's told me they've had 8 one night, 14 on another night.. e.t.c. people that normally call 911 or go to the hospital for bullshit stuff are staying away. I know that a lot of us are still working, and unfortunately there are a lot more that aren't getting to work, but i think we all have a responsibility in making it through this. Just take it serious, and be smart about it. I'll tell ya what, without the Hamb, I'd lose my mind!! Even the few car buddies i have are staying away from the shop! But I've got hundreds of car buddies right here ;)

20. Hey Blacksheep ,
    I see at your work station a Mopar stool,,,a Mopar clock,,,a GTX plate frame,,,,,and a Pepsi can !
    Yeah,,,,,good guy for sure !

If you also had a ham and cheese sandwich,,,,Or a box of donuts ,,,,it would be perfect !

Tommy

21. toml24

toml24

My gym has been closed until further notice. My athletic walking track has been closed until further notice. There is no live sports on TV. I've been self isolated for over 3-weeks. It's to the point I don't even know what day of the week it is. This could be a 1961 episode of the Twilight Zone. Its not. Its 2020. This is real.

jimmy six, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  22. I've been missing here for a long time but not for any bad reasons.
    I'm very thankful for working in an essential business of services and parts for big trucks, and have for 35 years to include being a mechanic in the USAF. If shutdown comes around, I should still continue working as directed by employer order.
    We're not in shutdown in Arkansas, yet.
    I'm challenged with getting my hotrod back on the road by a whole lot more petty complaints that what other folks are having to hope to live through and weather through.
    I pray for all of us, our families.

23. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I actually had a grilled ham and cheese for lunch, no donuts though...

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. LoL,,,,,,ham and cheese with a Pepsi,,,,always hits the spot !

By the way,,,,, I read your Apache build thread last night,,,,,awesome truck,,,,I always liked that body style .
    I know your brother would be so proud of it .
    Also his note written inside the cab really hits home,,,,he knew you would find it sometime .

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Black_Sheep, Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Thanks Tommy, a couple guys helping me the night we discovered the message were also very good friends of my brother, there wasn’t a dry eye in the room...

26. perfect proportions, Paul....

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As some of you read here I'll do my best to quarantine but still sneak out for Saturday morning at Donut Derilicks and parts for my sons 40 Chevrolet rejuvenation. Since the LA mayor has said today he wants us all wearing masks when we need to shop and I agree. Only thing is you can buy more ARDUN heads in So Cal than masks of any kind. All the Asians near me have them all. So me being me at my best; I made 4 so when I go to the market I'll be set along with my "Subway" gloves I bought off Amazon.
    A paper towel folded in 3/4" flaps back and forth (Bounty is the best), 2 rubber bands, and a stapler from my office. See photo. Being a true hot rodder has its benefits.. Cheap too...
    On the Blairs Speed Shop Facebook page a gal makes one out of a cowboy style neckerchief and 2 rubber bands in about 10 seconds. image.jpeg

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My neighbor put an old CB he had in his truck with the traditional outside speaker.. Drove around the neighbor hood checking up on people..

Hombre, chryslerfan55 and jimmy six like this.
  29. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @jimmy six , what part of "quarantine" are you struggling to understand? :rolleyes:

While certainly better than no mask, I would be very careful about having any confidence as to the protection level provided by this. Would you trust paper towel and a rubber band as a replacement for a condom? :confused:o_O:eek:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quarantine is just a word and we are not under any forced one as I know. There are no cops patrolling the streets and staying at home is the norm for me as being Retierd for 6 years. I go to the market like most who live in suburbs and I have never heard my "mayor" saying anything.
    Grump maybe you have 100,000 masks at home, maybe you live in the center of a 500acre farm in Wyoming I don't and no reasonable way of getting any in months. When the mayor of LA (Orange County is connected) comes out with a statement that's it's a good idea to wear one in public, suggests how to make your own, and at times we all need to go out in the public I'll come up with something.
    Look at You Tube. A lot of folks have a lot of ideas...it's America and what Americans do.
    Today I have heard thru testing that the blue shop towel style are way better that's what I'm going to use now. At difficult times improvised solutions are looked at as a positive. My use of a "mask" maybe more important for the people I'm near an opposite of what everyone worries about instead of me worrying about them.
    Good luck and stay safe to all.

raven, grumpy65, Hombre and 1 other person like this.