Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 29 RPU- "Street/Strip" B/SR Build - Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Marty, the previous owner of my current RPU had used a Walker on the car. It was nearly new when I bought the car. Within 4 months the dummy fill neck fell off, then the core developed 2 leaks. I had used Brassworks radiators on my T speedsters, so I had them build a radiator for me. It's been on the car for over 15 years now with no problems.

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good Marty.I`ll saddle up and go along for the ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty, I have not been doing too much reading on the Hamb for awhile and when I saw your pm to me today I was shocked you were building this. Glad you are busting ass and going to have it ready for Hotrod-a-rama. Maybe you can convince Too Tall to come up with his son as well. I've invited him a few times with no real response. We are forging ahead with no fear. Pandemic be damned!! Hotrods Forever as my pops was so fond of sayin'! www.hotrodarama.us

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Marty, I sent you a pm. Hope you see it. Dale

loudbang likes this.
  5. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

I'm really liking this built,As a youngster in 1967 and in 7th grade I remember one of the first hot rods I saw was a 1929 roadster pickup across the street from the grade school I attended.It was metallic blue,I found out later it had a model t rear spring in the front and ran a 348 with a four speed.Still can see it parked outside at recess.I was fortunate to meet the owner much later in life and got the details of the build.About 10 years ago it came up for sale and I found out too late .It now resides a few blocks from where I live as a restored seldom driven original model a.Thanks for bringing the memories back to the front for me. Ken

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am starting back on this one tomorrow, and give the Track Roadster a rest. I have been trying to decide what to do for a fuel tank, and my problem is solved. Rotten Leonard sent me these, all he had left from his stock. A 36" tank in the front of the box should look great, and hold in the neighborhood of 12 gallons. When running the Injected Engine, I plan on having a Moon Tank up front, and want to try E-85 Gas, or possibly Alcohol. Thanks Rob, progress resumes tomorrow ! IMG_4549.JPG IMG_4550.JPG

7. GNRS top shot.jpg Marty, my sheet metal guy made this tank for me. It holds 16 gallons.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Beautiful job on that tank Dean. A friend sent me an oval shape tank volume calculator, and if I build the tank 36" long, with those ends, it will hold 14-1/2 gallons.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Today, I removed the floor from the box, to be able to notch one of the crossmembers. The wood bases that rest on the frame, needed a section removed. The good thing is, the cover over the rear c/m will only need to be 2-1/4" high, and not very wide. The only wrinkle is, the rear axle needs to move forward around an inch. That's why I only tack welded the rear section on, and easy fix. IMG_4552.JPG IMG_4555.JPG IMG_4556.JPG IMG_4557.JPG IMG_4558.JPG IMG_4559.JPG IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4562.JPG IMG_4564.JPG

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I took on the dirty job of removing the bottom of the gas tank,using a 4-1/2" grinder with a slitting wheel, and a plasma cutter. The rusty portion in the front needs removed, that will get handled when I do the firewall. With the rear fender and running board bolted together, the wheelbase clearly needs to be shortened 1", that will be next. IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4568.JPG IMG_4570.JPG IMG_4571.JPG

11. Seeing those fenders being put back on that car makes me very happy.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, how do you like it with lights and a hood ! I needed a little motivation today, now I can correct the wheelbase . IMG_4573.JPG IMG_4572.JPG

13. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Fixed the rear axle location, moved it forward 1". IMG_4575.JPG

15. Makes my smile bigger Marty! Having owned Model A's both ways, stock and dropped headlight bar, I'd like to see you try a dropped bar on yours.

16. loudbang

loudbang

Now you just need to paint it RED. :rolleyes:

17. rooman

rooman

Close but that one is a 27 T. ;)

Roo

18. rooman

rooman

So was my reply, hence the wink.

Roo

19. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Marty...really enjoyed going through your build chronicle. Here is a couple early shots of dad's roadster...
    img016.jpg img019.jpg

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great shots Chris ! How big was Jim's engine at that time ? Also, When were those pics taken ? Please feel free to post any other shots of that great little truck. Your Dad is a Genius, but you already know that. Thank You..

21. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Hey Marty....the pics are around 1963. Dad bought one of Carol Shelbys' 260s he pulled from Cobra production when the 289 was released. Dad ran a 289 later and was competitive, 2nd in div7 in 69. He built the Boss 302 in 70 and debuted it in Ontario and catapulted.

22. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

23. This is the first time I've ever noticed those things under the headlights??? Air scoops???

bchctybob, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

They have been posting some great Peterson Archive Photos on Facebook. These are from 1970 Supernationals. Super7.jpg

25. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

26. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

27. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

28. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

29. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

30. WestCoastChris

WestCoastChris
    from Vista

Yeah, Cactus...in the late 60s this type air induction system was very popular. A closed sheet metal air-box fed by 2 ducts. Many doorslammers used this, but the ducts, etc. were concealed under the hood....