Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto clocks...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by rustydusty, Mar 29, 2020.

1. A buddy of mine gave me a couple of antique car clocks, thinking that I may want to use one in my T roadster. I am guessing that they were an aftermarket item and are something that an early car owner would install. As they are not in the style of my hot rod roadster, I will give them back to him (he got them in a box of pocket watches). The large one is an Elgin, and the smaller one was made by Waltham. Anyone else have any of these? 20200329_122803.jpg 20200329_122821.jpg

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. I think I have the Waltham in my garage. I need to get it fixed up to go in my Model A.

Mike

3. DCF7DB97-2954-49AF-AAC2-7EDE8FBDFDEA.jpeg

Picked this one up not long ago. Headed for the RPU project...if it ever gets moving.

41 GMC K-18 and john worden like this.
  4. egads

egads

@rustydusty Pretty cool. My mom worked at the Elgin watch factory during ww 2.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Drove past the site of the Elgin watch factory a week ago. There is a small shopping mall there now, in Elgin, IL.

Phil

lothiandon1940, egads and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

My auto clock story goes like this.
    A 1915 Milburn rolled into my shop requiring complete restoration. The clock and taillight were missing.
    Research indicated an 8 day rim wind/rim set clock would 102_2137.JPG IMG_0878.JPG be appropriate for the car. There was no access to the back of the clock for winding or setting so rim wind/rim set was the ticket.
    At a local clock auction I bought the pictured clock not knowing if it worked or not. It did not but the appearance and condition was very nice and restorable. The question became how to make it fully functioning including the hour minute and sweep second dials.
    I removed the original works and squeezed 2 battery powered inexpensive alarm clock works plus batteries into a small veggy can that fit perfectly into the case . One clock works powered the hour/minute hands and the second was off set and piggy backed on the first in order to power the miniature sweep second hand. A custom miniature drive shaft by passed the first works. The complete works is removable for setting and battery attention from the front being retained by velcro.
    The appearance is rim wind/rim set but battery powered. Two motors also gives it the old timey clock sound.
    All bright work is nickle.
    The speedo is original with a new numeral decal and replica inspection label. 102_2293.JPG 102_2295.JPG

7. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Nice work!^^^^^^^

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magnificent restoration! Very unique time piece and then Stewart Magnetic type gauge/mileage/speed unit is very cool!

9. Wow! Great restoration. Never heard of a "Milburn"...

10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Thank you all. I neglected to mention that the Milburn is electric. Milburn Light Electric Coupe to be precise.