Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1931 Cobbled Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by glorydime, Jan 1, 2019.

1. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

2. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Strengthening up the rear of the car has been fun. Taking forever but with the shelter in place in here Texas I have been hitting the car. I was able to get the side braces removed and install new ones. Took out the old under deck lid section and replaced it with a new one as well. The old one was very swiss cheese. I also had to extend the notch in the sub frame to account for a upper shock mount to attach to the cross member old bracing 2.jpg old bracing.jpg .

3. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

4. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

new under deck lid installed.jpg Here is the under deck lid piece installed. new under deck lid installed.jpg

5. That looks great! You're making good progress.

glorydime likes this.
  6. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

I have been staring to assemble and make a template for the floor riser to connect and strengthen the rear section of the sub frame I notched to allow for the cross member to drop below and or inside the trunk. Folks seem to go about this step in many different ways. I went the the Rusty from dirty s speed shop in Denton route. Here are the photos as follows.

cruiserjohn76 and winduptoy like this.
  7. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

I first made a cardboard cut out template of the box/riser and made sure it would fit and would be easily removed from the car when needed. cardboard template installed.jpg cardboard template installed2.jpg template for riser tracing.jpg template for riser.jpg template.jpg top view of cardboard template.jpg

8. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

I then traced out the cardboard template on the sheet steel i was going to use. Being that I don't have a large brake I was forced to use the old clamps and pipes to create a good edge and hammer away. The results are not the prettiest of boxes but totally works. first bend in riser.jpg template for riser tracing.jpg template traced on metal.jpg

Jet96, brEad, dwollam and 5 others like this.
  9. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

10. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

The fit came out reasonably well once in the car. I had to make alot of adjustments and will need to make some small patches but came out great. rear section 2.jpg Rear section.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad, dwollam, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  11. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

After getting the fit correct and realizing that I will need to get to the cross member for a while longer I attached some tabs at the back and drilled holes to attach fasteners on the top and sides. I still need to changed out the Model A rear with the 40 rear I have, and shorten that tube and shaft. I also want to be able to play with the leaf count because I don't like how high the car is sitting presently. Bolting with fasteners will allow me to take this riser in and out till I finally weld it in place. bolted in riser.jpg bolted in riser2.jpg bolted riser front 2.jpg bolted riser front.jpg

brEad, dwollam, cruiserjohn76 and 4 others like this.
  12. Nice work you're doing there !

glorydime likes this.
  13. OFT

OFT

Looking Good!!!

glorydime likes this.
  14. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Great progress man, the below deck lid panel area looks great.

glorydime likes this.
  15. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Very nice, Coming right along!

glorydime likes this.
  16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

A lot of work, but you're doing great-Keep on!

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Very nice work...
    I see you cut off new sub rails to weld to your kick ups,
    need the same thing for '32 frame rails...
    … does anyone sell the front half sub rails for '30-'31 coupe ? …

glorydime likes this.
  18. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

I’m not sure, I know brookville sells alot of subframe parts separately. Howell sheet metal is also a possibility, however warning ordering and customer service can be shotty. I have had luck with howells but I know a lot of folks that have not.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

thanks,
    I have parted out a few A coupes... there is a triangulated bracket that connects the B pillar to the quarter window wood... I use it as a gusset from the subrails to the wheelwells... helps support the quarters ...

Jet96 and glorydime like this.
  20. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

during the Covid mess I started digging into the sheet repairs that needed to be done to make this a more solid body. I have almost 0 experience with sheet metal repair, but came out ok in parts and not so great in other parts, but Ill try to massage it more.

I started with my quarter panels. Both had large cracks from previous stress spots. Quarter panel crack 2.jpg quater panel crack blend.jpg quater panel crack.jpg

Jet96, brEad, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  21. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Drivers side had a crack as well. pass stress crack.jpg stress crack.jpg stress crack 2.jpg

brEad, OFT and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Both the driver and pass side quarter along the B pillar were Swisscheese and needed repairs as well.

pass quarter prior repair.png

23. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

24. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

On to the pass side same spot needed help.

pass quarter repair 2.jpg pass quarter repair.jpg b pillar repair 3.jpg b pillar repair 2.jpg b pillar repair.jpg

dwollam, 31Apickup, brEad and 2 others like this.
  25. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

26. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Nice repairs. Perfect time to do all the metal work, it takes a lot of time and not much money :cool:

neilswheels and glorydime like this.
  27. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Next was on to a small section on the pass quarter where a previous owner had put in a piece of flat in a body line and tried to make it work so I ended up cutting it out and mating a small patch by hand forming the line to follow. Not super happy with the results and it will need more work, but it is stronger than it was. Just looks a little impregnated which i might be able to shape a little. The section behind the wheel well is also crunched in some and hammer and dollyd it pretty good, still needs more love as well. pass quater cut.jpg pass quater cut2.jpg pass quater cut patch.jpg shaping pass patch.jpg pass quarter patch.jpg pass patch.jpg pass patch stiched.jpg pass patch blending.jpg pass patch needs more work.jpg

28. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Then i moved onto the inner wells of the quarters. Per usual these were rotten and cut up. Came out ok, im happy with these, both still a need a little more work. Drivers quater before.jpg pass quarter before.jpg drivers fender well blending 2.jpg drivers fender well blending.jpg drivers quarter.jpg inner fender well 2.jpg inner fender well.jpg

29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Wow, that roadster body is rougher than a stucco bath tub...........I have never seen a roadster rust out in the body where the doors close, were those bondoed in at one time, strange rust area ? ......when they are rough like this they good ones to learn on because whatever you do is an improvement , your work looks good

winduptoy and glorydime like this.
  30. glorydime

glorydime
    from Austin, TX

Totally agree. I feel like no matter what I do will be better than it was. Hahaha. I’ve found almost no bondo in this car. But who knows if bondo or a poor prime job soaked up moisture and then was ground off prior to me.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.