Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help 1947 chevy fleetline 3 speed swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadfootloon, May 11, 2016.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

did you end up happy ? I was about to go that way but I really like 3 on the tree ! how well does the 216 pull high gear/ overdrive ??

2. jaracer

jaracer

If I remember correctly, the vacuum shift transmissions used a single shift rod. It moved in and out to select either 2nd and 3rd, or 1st and rev, and then back and forth to actually engage the gears. I'm not sure you can easily adapt the column shift two a later 2 lever transmission. I think it only has one lever on the column linkage. I'm looking at an old Motor's manual, and that's the way it looks. Back in the day a buddy had a 47 and we put a 50 or 51 trans in it. We had to use a floor shifter, but that's what he wanted anyway.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@jaracer thank you for the correction.......sincerely. Probably won’t be the last opportunity :oops:

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im not sure what was done by po ,s in 80 yrs but no vacuum shift now! 2 arms of the column and 2 rods so im thinking there is a way . just not sure what it will be !