Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 merc front coil thought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Mar 30, 2020.

1. solo_909

solo_909

So I normally use the Aerostar springs to lower the front of my 49-51 Mercury’s my thought was since the Aerostar spring is so much shorter couldn’t you just cut the originals in half to remove them and just put the new coils in without taking anything apart? Obviously you would need to remove the shocks but I think you should be able to get it in without a spring compressor right?

thoughts?

2. I'd like to see that. Why don't ya photo dock that as ya go and post it up for us? Sounds like a good "How To" for a tec article.

solo_909, VANDENPLAS and s55mercury66 like this.
  3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thought. But the Aerostar spring is a progressive wind. Much different than a cut spring. I've used them to replace cut springs on the bird, and really like them.

JeffB2 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Nothing to loose trying it.

I don’t think it will fit, worse case you take it apart, no harm in trying except loosing a bit of time if it doesn’t work.

solo_909 likes this.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree 100% try it and see what happens. Take plenty of pictures and make a tech thread of it

solo_909 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's really not hard to disconnect the lower A-arm at the spindle end, and no spring compressor is needed.

solo_909 likes this.
  7. Iffy that the new springs would go in without cracking the lower ball joint loose. And sway bar if so equipped.

solo_909 likes this.
  8. solo_909

solo_909

I actually like to unbolt the A arm from the crossmember. Only two bolts and you can release the tension from there with a jack. Either way I just thought there might be an even faster way.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  9. When you find it let us know. We like easy.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've done it both ways. I prefer removing the spindle side because the two attachments on the crossmember side act as a hinge. When you disconnect from the crossmember side, the spindle side acts as a pivot, meaning that it doesn't stay still when you compress/decompress spring tension.