Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 235 Side motor mount question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by buzzbrother, Mar 30, 2020.

1. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Pulled the motor over 4 years ago. Finally getting her back together. Ready to mount motor in frame with original side mounts and new rubber. Cannot remember for the life of me how the rubber and mounts are configured. May be stupid question but...
    What side is top/bottom?? What side is up the metal or the rubber?? What end does the fat washer go? I got 2 different size small rubber mounts. Which one goes where. Cant find in shop manual....Can’t find info anywhere been searching web for 90 minutes. Any help would be HUGE!
    Thanks.
    -Buzz
    View attachment 4625724
    60471669292__42546CFC-1149-4FFF-9AFB-85B07B90CA6B.JPG 60471669292__42546CFC-1149-4FFF-9AFB-85B07B90CA6B.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You should have a steel sleeve about 2'' long with a 7/16'' hole through it, too

buzzbrother likes this.
  4. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Yea only had one sleeve and had to make the other. I think I got it figured out. Seems that I have 2 different size lower rubber mounts. What I gather from digging on the interweaving...one for 54 car one for a 54 truck. Just ordered 2 more from one of the big box stores...be here by morning. Thanks for the help gentlemen!

5. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

If ya run out of options on mounts try Jackson's, Duluth, MN....they have piles of them

buzzbrother likes this.
  6. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

I have 2 correct lower mounts (thick ones) 2 upper mounts that are 2 different sizes. Which ones are correct??
    The new mounts that I ordered came in and are the smaller upper mounts. Larger upper mounts look correct to me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Confused....scratching my head. Can’t really do anything until I mount this motor back in place.

7. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

The opening on these are totally different as well. Just want to know which one is the correct one. IMG_5979.JPG

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

been a while since i done one. i think the smaller pads go under the mount with the big ones on top. big washers on both sides. top and bottom with long bolt.

buzzbrother likes this.
  9. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Got her all figured. The confusion one wrong part can create!!! Thanks for help. [​IMG]

10. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I think that may be the wrong installation. As it was said in an earlier answer, the mounts should be above and below the side frame bracket. This is from the 49 to 53 shop manual. IMG_9759.JPG

buzzbrother likes this.
  11. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Hardtop! Thanks my man. I looked and looked and must have skimmed right over that 15-20 times. After I read that I went back and looked. I’ll be damned my shop manual says same damn thing. In a moron for over looking good it.
    Anyway, thanks. I flipped them around and it makes whole lot more sense. Appreciate your help. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey buzzbrother, nah, you're welcome and you're not a moron! Man I used to ask all the time to when I was doing my car. I was given lots of help back then. I just have to give back whenever I can. It's the same way in my 52 with the 54 engine. One thing I did though, was to put the bolt with the nut down under. Just in case, you never know! If, for some crazy reason the nut came off, the bolt won't fall out of the mount.