Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs De-crowning '46 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greaser Bob, Mar 29, 2020.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Sort of like the 40 convertible roof line, compared to the 39!
    Ford went backwards with this “improvement”.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    rod1 likes this.
  2. You could make this out of a long door.
    48-Ford-3w-stock.jpg

3. That is very sharp! /\

kidcampbell71, Stogy and James D like this.
  4. snelson57

snelson57

That red one above has had me thinking about long doors on my short door coupe since I saw it earlier this week

Attached Files:

bchctybob, kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  5. I've seen a short door with a back seat....the seat is useless. The rear pad is vertical and still no leg room.

46 ford 015.jpg

1947knuck and oliver westlund like this.
  6. Don´t do it! Personally, I much prefer the look of the short door cars and they seem to be a lot more rare too. I only altered the red car above to create a shorter roofline.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the you already have nailed a period look of perfection Camp...but going through the subtle mods to take that roof to a new profile with the same overall look would be awesome as well but a huge undertaking as alluded. Your call of course...I would see both as pleasing @Greaser Bob

bantam and Greaser Bob like this.
  8. I think it could look good, if the changes were really subtle.
    However (as others have stated) it loses something of what makes a '46 Ford a '46 Ford.

46.jpg

1947knuck, X-cpe, 51box and 7 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny, I see a Boardroom Meeting with Henry's Design Team in mid 1946 mulling over loosing that Raked Crown for 47 and here we are debating the old news...:D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    bchctybob and T&A Flathead like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Seeing them side-by-side, I get why the question was raised. It does have a bit of a knob on the back of its head.

If they were not side-by-side would I be able to tell you did anything to it? Probably not. You are working to a subset of a subset of car guys here, and the rest of us would just think "hey... neat Ford!" Is it worth it in that case? Only you can answer that question.

It is really a cool looking car to my eyes in *either* render.

bchctybob, Greaser Bob and Hnstray like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think it kinda lands in the same question as “hot rod or custom”

I think for a hot rod I like the knob in the roof. For a mild subtle custom I do think the smoothed pancaked roof is slicker.

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Actually, the more I look at it, the more I need one. I hate when that happens!:confused::D

Stogy and Greaser Bob like this.
  13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I think you're right. Maybe he should have one of each?;)

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don’t get the need to peg this proposed modification as categorizing the car as either a hot rod or custom. Most H.A.M.B. cars are a blend of both, though at some point the emphasis on performance or styling can get stronger in favor of one over the other. But it is a rare car on these pages that only has one or the other.

Sort of like the many shades of gray in the transition from ‘black’ to ‘white’.......

Ray

edit: while many posters, including my earlier comments, correctly point out the proposed change in roof line “is a lot of work for a subtle difference”, that effort will bear on the OP. Several posts along that line would lead a casual reader to think the protestors were being asked to do the work, not to merely opine on the appearance of the change.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    hotrodjack33, Squablow and Stogy like this.
  15. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Well thank you guys for the very kind words about my car as it presently sits!
    Additionally, thank you @kaspar for the very helpful side by side rendition!
    So many good points brought out about these models - and extremely helpful. As I stare at my car I realize I have not the tools to be able to pull it off at this time.
    I also realize it would be so neat if I could simply own both a Coupe AND a Business Coupe!
    But as I can reasonably own only one toy at this time - we'll just have to see where we end up!
    Thanks again folks!!
    Greaser Bob

Stogy, Nostrebor and Just Gary like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

Glad you have seen the light.

17. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Well, I guess you can say I never really studied the rake of the roof before. And for the most part I simply wondered if anyone had successfully mimicked the Business Coupe roof line on a long door.
    I do so love these years of Fords!

Stogy likes this.
  18. phat rat

phat rat

I think using the long doors on a business cpe would end up as a 3 window. For what its worth the trunk lids are the same from 41-48 for the convertible and both cpes

Stogy likes this.
  19. Shave the hood and trunk and you'll have a perfect 50's car, messing with the roof was never done, sometimes doing a chop took the crown out by accident.

Greaser Bob and Stogy like this.
  20. beater40

beater40

I always thought that hump looked a bit awkward, the rear window doesn't flow with the side angle of the rear quarter window, if you took a section slice from nothing at the front to 1 1/2" at the rear and then relax the rear window forward to another 5 to 10 degrees or what looks good, just subtle but enough to be different. Dare to be different if that is what you envisage, happy slicing.
    My opinion anyway, what do I know.

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Greaser Bob likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why in Hell did Henry NOT build this version ? If Edsel had not passed in '41, he would have talked the old Man into producing it. I has Edsel's ideas all over it!

James D likes this.
  22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sort of like chopping a watermelon. I would only let Flop or Frank Zuehl tackle that job.

23. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be prepared to explain to most fellow rodders just what was done that cost a wheelbarrow of money. It's your car, of course, but think about the next rod you could build for the zillion you will have in that top ! Your ride is so right just like it sits !

Greaser Bob likes this.
  24. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, THAT is beautiful ! I hope this rendition is an actual build !

James D likes this.
  25. billg51

billg51
    from Ct

I like the 46 just has it sits , got the right stance and looks really good , I had a 46 and wished it looked like that one , good choice , looks good

Greaser Bob and lurker mick like this.
  26. v8flat44

v8flat44

I love that coupe just the way it is. The only thing that would make it better is if it was in my garage !

Greaser Bob likes this.
  27. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Currently my status is I have a Business Coupe lined up, but have to either sell this one or get the Business Coupe and transfer everything from this to it. Mostly because this one has a
    350 SBC, 700 R4 Trans, 9" Ford rear end, and
    4 - wheel disc brakes.
    But then I'm left with the long door body to make sure doesn't go to waste.

28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not to over simplify, but swapping the Business Coupe body onto your chassis would seem the easiest way to handle that. Swapping bodies is not as difficult as some people imagine and all your running gear stays put. Your front clip, rear fenders, deck lid all interchange. You would only have to paint the body shell (ideally prior to swapping). If you have floor mods to accommodate the trans swap or other changes, that, of course would add to the work required.

Putting your long coupe body on the Business Coupe chassis makes for as complete a car as you purchased and more affordable for someone who wants to build a long door coupe.

You shouldn’t run into much in the way of title and registration as the serial number on those cars is stamped in the frame and changing bodies on the frame, both “2 door” or “coupe” remains the same. If you are in a Title State, you would probably have to get a title in your name for the Business coupe’s chassis to have valid paperwork for resale.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    hotrodjack33, Stogy and pprather like this.
  29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

makes it look british to me for some reason

30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To what are you referring?