Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need HELP! How to wire a single wire momentary starter switch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olefrank72, Mar 29, 2020.

1. olefrank72

olefrank72

Can anyone help me with my project. I'm reworking a modified '41 Ford Deluxe and changing it to a 12 V system as the old wiring was terrible. It had a push button start button on the dash console. Before it was worked on I'd flip up the ignition switch and then push the button. As long as it was pushed down the starter spun. I'd like to reuse it but am a loss at how to run the wire(s). I'd sure appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The button actually makes a ground connection to your solenoid.
    Your solenoid activates by ground not by the Hotwire.
    Run a ground wire from the button to your solenoid ground terminal.

3. squirrel

squirrel

What are you using for the starter relay (solenoid)? Original, or 12v replacement?

Hnstray and firstinsteele like this.
  4. 24riverview

24riverview

Still flathead? Standard Ignition SS-587 is the 12 volt equivalent to the original starter relay.

town sedan and RICH B like this.

5. I would use that solenoid with any engine, that way you can still use the stock button. If it's going to a starter mounted solenoid then you can get another button to run the solenoid wire through it (cole hersee 9011 or standard ignition ssb-1 are the closest looking). I used the SS-587 and a relay on my '47 so you can't even crank it unless the ignition switch is on..........it will crank the starter with nothing on in stock form.

town sedan likes this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Standard motors products (SMP) and I’m sure others, used to make a continuous duty solenoid that can be used with a ground exciter or 12 volts positive exciter. I used them all the time on firetrucks, back in the day. Heavy duty universal relay, but cost more that a lot of others, but you get what you pay more.

Bones

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your PM's

8. olefrank72

olefrank72

Thanks for the reply.

9. olefrank72

olefrank72

Don't have a relay for it. Using a 12v solenoid. Will that be a problem?

10. squirrel

squirrel

What you call a "solenoid" is probably actually a relay...but the terminology isn't important. (a solenoid is an electromagnet that pulls something. A relay is a solenoid that actuates an electrical switch.)

Which specific 12v solenoid do you have? Either a picture or a part number, or what car it was originally for, would help us help you figure it out.

11. Instead of the start position being on the ignition switch, it sounds like you want the start button to carry 12 v + from the ignition switch 'on' position through the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid. The would require a two wire momentary start button.

Phil

12. olefrank72

olefrank72

There's no part number. I'll try sending a pic. I think the two big side bolts are Battery on the left, starter on the right, but on the top, the little one marked with an "I" is ? the ground to the button? and the one on the left marked "S" is ???? If you straighten me out I'd appreciate it.

Attached Files:

13. To make it work with the stock push button you need a insulated base. The SS-587 is what you need, you can give that number to the parts store and they can cross reference into a part number they have. Then it’s battery in on one side, starter out the other side and the wire from the push button to the front pole. The one you have might be 6v.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  14. squirrel

squirrel

15. 24riverview

24riverview

1oldtimer and squirrel like this.
  16. olefrank72

olefrank72

Great! You folks are really a life saver. Thanks for all you info.

17. olefrank72

olefrank72

Thought I was done with the questions but looked over schematic 2 and had some new ones. 1) It's hard to make out if the pole at the top of #2's drawing is a "B" or and "S". From what 1Oldtimer said I believe it should be the battery but??? If it is the batter what is the relationship with ignition? If installed in as I believe you're indicating, are the starter and the ignition separate? Thanks again in advance. (PS. I ordered the ss587.)

18. squirrel

squirrel

starter and ignition are separate.

19. 24riverview

24riverview

Top terminal in drawing is B, only thing that goes here is battery cable and power feed wire for rest of system. Should be 5/16 stud closest to small stud. Other 5/16 stud goes to starter. Add a wire from starter button to small stud and it should crank over. I can draw you a simple diagram when home later, not smart enough to do on my phone, lol.

20. olefrank72

olefrank72

Thanks for the clarification. I can handle it from here. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

21. Looks like someone else has a Blue Streak Ignition Illustrated Parts Guide also :)

24riverview likes this.
  22. In Circuit #2 the switch part is the battery and starter (the coil inside needs a ground to activate from your push button). You're going to lose the "I" terminal that was on the stock relay. If you really think you need the "I" terminal then you can go with a SS-582 (circuit #7), but you'll have to run a wire from "S" terminal to the battery lug on the side and your push button to the ground lug on the back.

But I think you'll be ok without the "I" terminal hookup.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  23. 24riverview

24riverview

Yes sir, very handy reference source!

24. olefrank72

olefrank72

Thanks again guys.

25. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Squirrell to the rescue