Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Casual Atomic Lab Tour

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Casual Atomic Lab Tour

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Quick note... This was shot in 4k, but it looks as though YouTube is throttling quality at the moment. Probably a crap load of streaming going on at the moment... In any case, sorry for the quality.

3. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Great looking shop. Not staged to look like no one ever works there. Thanks for the tour!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

lookin' good, buddy. nice place.

5. williebill

williebill

6. Your place looks terrific, obviously you spent a lot of time organizing and thinking about placement of your larger equipment.

My shop is 30 X 40 and since the pandemic I have spent a lot of time trying to reorganize my garage, I built it in 2005 and started building my pickup before the paint dried and haven't do anything except replace all the florescent lights with LED's and that was a major improvement.

I really like what you did with your magazine collection after sending you a conversation inquiring about the binders I ordered them.

I am easily distracted while cleaning, rearranging and reorganizing and I have spent quiet a bit of time working with cleaning out a old Craftsman tool chest and storing specialty tools & parts .

Wire & wiring ends & crimping tools in a couple of lower big drawers, pop rivet tools and rivets in another, brake line tools, in another, drill bit and tap and dies in another etc, etc.

I have put this off for years and I am really enjoying the simple and sometimes mindless task in front of me, I try to think is there a better location to the bigger equipment and tool chest, I have a extra tool chest that I haven't been using and though what a great place for the boxes and boxes of nut's, bolts, and washers and why not have them all in one place instead of every corner of the garage.

In my case I can see it taking me a lot longer than a few weeks because I am not making a kob out of it but trying to make the time creative and enjoyable. HRP

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it man, great video.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. Great shop! Thank you for sharing...say you don't have any of those vintage cast HAMB license plate frames back there anywhere do you?

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. MBog

MBog

Nice shop, that's a mess?? lol

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

11. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Really a great setup... and quite clean compared to most shops out there!

The old soap box derby racer immediately reminded me of the SFVISBF. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=1038
    When I first joined the HAMB in 2006, I recall the videos and posts/discussion...

13. squirrel

squirrel

I guess it's time to upgrade my keyboard. It's 28 years old. Let us know when it's ready.

But yeah....most of us dream of having a shop that unmessy!

keyboard.jpg

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You don't have to turn sideways to walk anywhere. My shop looks like a episode of Hoarders.

15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the peek Ryan! I can't swing a dead cat in mine without knocking over at least 5 things so there will be no video or pics!

The37Kid and Hollywood-East like this.
  16. I am really impressed !

Because it looks real,,,,,and not made up .
    When it first started,,,I wasn’t too sure .

Then you walk up to the side of the building,,,,there is a regular foot path,,,with grass growing,,,and some things lying around .
    Okay I think,,,this just might be a regular guy after all .
    Then inside,,it looks like a normal shop would,,,,,not some sterilized clean room .
    I enjoyed the descriptions of the cars inside,,,,,I would like some more info on the shoebox,,,,,looks really cool . I am not too savvy on the old customs,,,,but it is sharp !
    I enjoy seeing Moriaritys customs on threads here,,,,,a lot of automotive art work done back then
    Also,,,,,would love to hear more about how fast the Flathead is !

When I saw this video,,,it made me think back about when I was a kid and going to a few friends homes . They would have a formal living room,,,,,everything was immaculate,,,perfect,,,,,, but,,,,you weren’t allowed to use it,,,only look at it .
    That is not living,,,it’s only make believe.

You can tell you actually use your shop,,,,and really work there .
    Good job man!

Tommy

17. 34Larry

34Larry

Great set up Ryan.

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice shop/ H.A.M.B. headquarters, great to see wagers it all happens. I wouldn’t consider that messy. I’ll have to get onto garage journal and see some of the woodworking projects.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Thanks for sharing Ryan. Your shop is way cleaner and more organized than mine, but my life has been pretty crazy for a while too. Actually, pretty sure my life has always been crazy and I have never had a clean or organized shop...so maybe I never will. :D

21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bravo Ryan.
    "Money has no value unless its spent " You have made great choices and have spent your money wisely!
    movie money 2.jpg movie money 1.jpg
    I think its time that I upgrade my keyboard as well.
    ROYAL STANDARD 2 (2).jpg ROYAL STANDARD 1 (2).jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Thanks Tim ,
    Those are beautiful pics ,,,,,,though I must admit,,,,I like the color from the first feature the best,,,,,candy tangerine or copper ,,, something like that .
    I also liked the black car in the background ,,,,,,58 ,?,,,,,purple roof .
    Smooth machines indeed !

Tommy

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool shop. Oh my the 38 does exist.
    Very organized. Thanks for the tour.
    Lucky man. Money well spent.
    All you need is a bedroom and you can rent out the house.
    I’ll give a quick tour of my newly built shop soon too.

24. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

That's what I'm talking about Ryan! Watching your video only makes me how challenged we are in the Bay Area with stupid-expensive housing and cost of living, coupled with smaller lots to build any structures. (mumbling to self 'Thou shall not covet thy neighbors garage space")

25. What a place! Thanks for the tour. Man I love shops!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the walk about. @Ryan what did you use to clear the floor in the office? Or is that just machine polished? Looks nice

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the nice words guys... I really appreciate it. Was oddly nervous putt myself out there like that.

My space looks way bigger on camera than it really is.

Still, I'm super lucky to have what I have. If it were much bigger, I'd just stuff it with more crap I don't need.

Yeah, that clear coat stuff from these guys:

https://www.legacyindustrial.net

For automotive stuff, it's almost indestructible. Oil, other fluids, wet tires, etc... don't phase it at all. However, it's pretty vulnerable to adhesives like wood glue and even tape if left on the surface for more than a week or so.

28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel, do you have any extra internal longitudinal manual over ride cross shafts in your parts pile? I need another one of these ! underwood cross shaft 2.JPG
    Go through life with a smile! Mr. Underwood smiles.JPG

29. squirrel

squirrel

Is that for a Royal?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  30. Cool shop and office! I might make a video, but it'll be less than a minute long.