Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

Marty, thank you so much for sharing your work. You do very detailed work, craftsman's work to say the least. I'm enjoying your build tread and I am also in the process of building a 27 track T. It's people like you that inspire me to pay way more detail to my builds with what I have to work with and that is mostly hand 20200307_124500.jpg 20200307_124608.jpg tools.

Jet96, Just Gary, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  2. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great build love the cars. Have you ever checked corner weights or just front & back with that engine set back?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Good luck with your project, it's coming along nicely.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, to tell the truth, I don't remember putting one of these on 4 corner scales, so I don't have any numbers. On a highway truck scale, my #7 weighed between 18 and 19 hundred. Not exact, because it rounded to the next even hundred, I was told. We did weigh the Spalding Car with me in the seat, not totally complete, but pretty close, and no fluids, IMG_2631.JPG IMG_2635.JPG here are the numbers. Being a 4 torsion bar setup it is very adjustable. Right side heavy in these photos.

5. 97

There is a place in NZ who does make longer T bodies, lots of T buckets were built using these bodies in the past but IMO they look quite ugly when you see an original size one beside it. I will see if I can find some pictures.

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

catdad49, OFT and loudbang like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

If they are made longer but not taller, the proportions will be off! Just saying.

OFT and loudbang like this.
  8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

There's a company in Oz that makes larger - I believe longer and wider- I bodies. Thought about one a few years ago, but dropped the idea when trying to fit 3 pedals and a steering column in a T proved to be a bigger headache in my mind then I could deal with.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 97

Marty,
    The RJ Times story by Pat Ganahl talks about Floyd Brown! I knew a Floyd Brown, he lived here in NZ in the 70s , wife named Joan, kids Gary, Chris and Joanne...from Tigard.... same guy?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That would be a different Floyd Brown. Our Floyd had to be born around 1910, and lived in North Plains, from the mid-30's on. He ran a wrecking yard next to his house for many years, and fully lived up to his moniker "B.S." Brown !

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought that this is a very cool piece of workmanship, flawless indeed! STRODE 1 (2).JPG IMG_1340 (3).JPG STRODE 3.JPG

catdad49, pitman, Jet96 and 12 others like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for posting those shots, old #7 never looked better, and has a great home with the Freeman Family ! The proof is in this video !

alanp561, catdad49, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I am started back on the project, fabbed the turtle deck mounts today, using .090- 5052 aluminum. The bonding work will be done by a friend, a master with fiberglass. The mounts will be secured to the frame rails with (3) 1/4" bolts on each side, via nut certs. IMG_4739.JPG IMG_4740.JPG IMG_4741.JPG IMG_4743.JPG IMG_4745.JPG IMG_4746.JPG IMG_4747.JPG

Stogy, olscrounger, Tim and 20 others like this.
  14. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

loudbang and gnichols like this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A welcome Sunday AM post!

OFT and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My friend Leighton found the time to laminate the turtle deck mounts to the body. He uses a product called Peel Ply, a release agent he applies to the final coat, leaving an incredibly smooth surface. The exhaust parts for this project and the RPU should be here today, so there will be more progress soon ! IMG_4751.JPG IMG_4756.JPG IMG_4757.JPG IMG_4759.JPG IMG_4758.JPG IMG_4762.JPG

dwollam, Stogy, Tim and 17 others like this.
  17. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Off for a while from the truck plant due to parts supply, I'll be watching and getting caught up over the down time. Thanks Marty!

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got a start on the headers today. First off, I belt sanded the perimeter of the flanges, and ran a long board over the surfaces. When bolting the flanges to the block, I center the middle one on the bolts, since the holes are oversize. On the end flanges, I offset the flanges to the outside, to allow for the shrinkage from the welding of the pipes to the megaphone. The Speedway megaphones are made to fit 1-5/8 " pipe, so 2-1/8" needs to be cut off to slip fit the 1-3/4" pipe, I am using here. Positioning the megaphones for angle, and distance off the body, was a headache, and required 2 people. After the second set of these I built, making some holding fixtures made a lot of sense, so this is what I came up with. With the preliminary work done, I can finish fitting the rest of the pipes tomorrow. IMG_4784.JPG IMG_4785.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4787.JPG IMG_4789.JPG IMG_4790.JPG IMG_4791.JPG IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4793.JPG IMG_4794.JPG

catdad49, dwollam, A Boner and 16 others like this.
  19. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Marty, you have so many great ideas you scare me. Of course, I have never made two sets of headers the same so anyway. Keep posting your work, it inspires all of us.

catdad49, raven, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@raven body mount photos ^

raven and loudbang like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I covered the body mounts in post 198.

loudbang likes this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Marty
    I made this aluminum trunk riser for my roadster with plans (still not done) of glassing the flanges to the fiberglass, wasn't real jazzed about it so I called Carl Wescott and asked his thoughts and he said to use a Methacrylate adhesive specifically for bonding dissimilar materials, by my memory he said they use one of these from Devcon/Plexus.

https://itwperformancepolymers.com/products/plexus

20170404_125746.jpg

catdad49, dwollam and OFT like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Doug, that turned out real nice. I took the approach of the way Funny Car bodies were mounted. With the large holes, the bond was fiberglass to fiberglass, with the the metal sandwiched between. It's been working very well. You took the correct route for your application. Take care,old friend.

catdad49, dwollam and OFT like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was just trying to point out the trunk mounts you made and had glassed in to him.He hadn’t commented and liked it yet so thought he may have missed it. Seemed relevant to the questions he’d asked previously

loudbang and raven like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Tim, I get it now.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Worked on the rest of the pipes today. Once I get the u-bends sawed, coped, and fit up, the knotted wire wheel does a nice job de-burring the inside. I use lacquer thinner and paper towels, along with the ram rod treatment, to clean the grease from the mandrel bending process. After tack welding the 2 piece tubes together, I mock up the assembly to mark the holes in the megaphones, to rough cut them with a plasma cutter. Now for the final fit on the driver side. IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4804.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4821.JPG IMG_4822.JPG IMG_4824.JPG IMG_4825.JPG

alanp561, catdad49, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  27. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Marty - longtime lurker of your build threads here......

I'm past due to compliment you for the great content you're giving us! It's always fascinating and inspiring to follow along. Thanks for sharing so much detail about your fabrication.

alanp561, catdad49, Tman and 4 others like this.
  28. lake_harley

lake_harley

I noticed you used a SS hose clamp with a couple holes in the strap to line up two tubes with the hole giving access for placing a tack weld. I've used that method too and it's a cool way to line things up and the cost is almost nothing. Maybe you've pointed it out before on other builds, but thought it was worthy of drawing people's attention to it who might have the need to do likewise.

Nice work.

Lynn

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lynn, looks like great minds think a like ! On a serious note, this is what I showed on the RPU build, certainly a major assist while building headers. IMG_4768.JPG IMG_4770.JPG

catdad49, alanp561, Blues4U and 12 others like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Cory, glad to have you looking over my shoulder ! You being from Detroit, reminds me of a PM I got from Frank Burrell (Fab 32). He had questions about the Track Roadsters and stating he had no business owning one, but wondered if I was interested in building him a chassis. I wish he was still around, to see this one come together. Am I right, he was from Detroit, wasn't he ? As far as the sharing, it's time well spent, if helps or inspires anyone. Thank you !

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    catdad49, loudbang and Stogy like this.