Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Uh oh.... Dagenham

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falconaz, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Falconaz

Falconaz
    from Arizona

Hello folks,

I need some help, advise, etc. I have a 64 falcon with a 170, and somewhere along the line is ended up with a 4 speed dagenham part number 212e-7006f. I am in need of the seals and gaskets for it. The housing gaskets and the 3 Linkage seals along with the tailpiece seal. Also a clutch plate. NO ONE has them. What so I do?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob phx az

2. Ford offered a inline six and a 4 speed transmission in Falcon's so it's probably a stock setup.

Although the Dagenham transmission that came in the Fairlanes and Falcons is considered a light duty transmission I have read that it has something in common with the T-10 transmission,they both share the same case.

If this is true your seals and gaskets shouldn't be a problem to find.HRP

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. 1gearhead

1gearhead

Contact Dave Waugh at (562)693-0855. He specializes in 4-speed transmissions, I'll bet he can help you. He is located in Santa Fe Springs CA. Correct it is a stock Ford setup.

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

5. Falconaz

Falconaz
    from Arizona

It may have been stock on others but this still has the column shifter brackets and housing leftover and a pretty gnarly hole where someone changed it to the floor shifter.

I'll look into the t-10 seals, thanks.

And I'll be calling Melvin's tomorrow along with Dave.

Thanks to you all. Made this within hands reach now!

6. The Dagenham was sourced out of Britain and has been an orphan for years. Best bet? Sell it to a early Mustang restorer (they love this stuff) and convert to a T5. It was a troublesome transmission when new, that's why Ford quit offering it.

7. Granted it wasn't as tuff as the T-10 but in the light weight Falcons & Fairlanes using the inline six it was adequate. HRP

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. Actually, it wasn't..... The Dagenham proved to be undersized in the heavier and more powerful American cars and didn't suffer abuse well. A retired Ford dealer mechanic told me that the standard 'warrantee' fix for a failed one in a early Mustang was to replace it with a three speed. They didn't hold up well and that's why they're so rare today.

9. I suppose we will agree to disagree,my sister drove a 64 Falcon all through school with the six and a 4 speed,,never a problem.

We have gotten of topic,it's not weather the transmission is good or bad we are trying to help a fellow member find the required seals & gaskets. HRP

volvobrynk and Falconaz like this.
  10. If they weren't beat on any, they were ok. But when Ford offered them as a 'performance' option in the 'sporty' Mustang, some owners thought they had sports cars and Ford ate a bunch of them under warrantee. The British motors they were designed for were no bigger than 2.5L (155"), the 170 and 200 Ford sixes were just too much power.

11. SimonSez

SimonSez

These transmissions were made in England (in Dagenham) and used in the Mk 3 Zephyr and Zodiac, so there are some spares available over there.

This kit looks like it has what you need ...

http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/FORD-C...ED-DAGENHAM-GEARBOX-GASKET-&-SEAL-KIT/950.htm

62rebel likes this.
  12. Falconaz

Falconaz
    from Arizona

The three linkage seals and the tailpiece seal have been the most difficult to find. With all your help I have found the housing gaskets but not these.

13. Falconaz

Falconaz
    from Arizona

I am unable to replace it due to being a broke automotive college student, can only afford to repair. Gears seems good and it shifts well, just leaks out of every possible hole.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap it for a T5.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If the lead given above doesn't produce anything, look around outside the box and delve around under "seals" in the many industrial supply catalogs like this : http://www.mscdirect.com/products/oil-seals?rdrct=oil seal
    There, I looked under "oil seals", probably "seals" would find even more. Most things have dimensional listings so just scrutinize by ID and OD, and be flexible about look and original application. Also on the stuff like tail seal try bearing suppliers for dimensional catalogs from the suppliers like Chicago Rawhide.
    Gaskets...secret trickery...buy some bulk gasket material. Lay a suitable piece over, say, the sidecover hole or the front bearing retainer. Tap gently around the outer rim with a small hammer, go around once or twice, and suddenly the excess will just fall off leaving a perfectly cut piece. Repeat around inner rim. Mark bolt holes, cuttem open...easy way is a cheap set of hole punches, little hollow punches with sharpened holes, made for gaskets, leather work, etc.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. I went through this recently, and found the tailshaft seal at Advance (under truck 4 spd, even though the truck Dagenham IS different in the tailshaft). Input seal I think I have here, never put it in. Do NOT assemble the shaft covers without gaskets, it won't work. Cover (with shift levers) can be glued in.
    Good luck, I got on well with the little bugger in my Econoline. And I DO have the Falcon shifter with rods.

Cosmo

P.S. Don't bother with Berry Bearing or Motion industries. These seals are NOT industrial sized. Guess how I know...

17. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Call JOHN at Border Parts, Spring Vally,CA (619) 461-0171. AMAZING man for trannie and driveline parts! Good Luck, Tim

18. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Call JOHN at Border Parts, Spring Vally,CA (619) 461-0171. AMAZING man for trannie and driveline parts! Good Luck, Tim

19. SimonSez

SimonSez

The link I posted has those:
    1 x front oil seal
    1 x rear oil seal
    3 x selector shaft seals

20. SimonSez

SimonSez

OK, found your rear oil seal from a US stockist ...

It's Payen part #NA 162, and in stock at Rock Auto in Wisconsin for $8.62, http://www.rockauto.com/

21. Falconaz

Falconaz
    from Arizona

So say I throw in the towel and used a c4 a buddy of mine has. Besides adding a flex plate, trans cooler, trans mount and new shifter. what else may I be in need if?

22. cabong

cabong

I had a little critter in need of a small HP 4-speed. I had not heard anything good about the Dagenhams, so I went with a Mustang II Cobra (big name, anemic car) RAD-W1 4-speed. It looks like a small T-5, and contrary to popular belief, it has a 1:1 top (4th) gear. It is a close ratio, so 1st is tall. Great tranny. I used mine in a road racer, probably 110hp, and I brutalized that bugger. I used it for brakes, power shifted most of the time, sonomahistoricsbfox035-M.jpg and never broke it......

Hnstray likes this.
  23. cabong

cabong

I forgot to mention, it weighed less than 50 pounds !!!

Hnstray likes this.