Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical School me on "steady rods"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by little howard, Mar 29, 2020.

1. little howard

little howard
    from kcmo

All my buddies running flatheads, closed driveshafts into banjo r. ends, say "you gotta have them or the clutch will chatter"
    So, when did Ford quite running them and why. The very few '49 to '54 Fords and none of the '55 and up chevys had them. So, what changed.
    I'm building a '32 with a sbc , T-170 to an open drive '40 r. end .
    Do I need them or not, just asking.

2. alchemy

alchemy

No you don't NEED them, but I think they might be a good idea on any car with motor mounts that might rock, like old Ford biscuits might.

Ford stopped using them in 48, which probably corresponded to the last torque tube. I think their original purpose was to keep the attached torquetube and rearend from pushing the engine forward or back. But the clutch arm pushing the engine seems to be a good need for them as well.

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure Ford stopped using steady rods in '40, when the clutch linkage changed from direct acting on the release lever to a frame mounted "equalizer" which minimizes/eliminates any motion on the engine/trans. Improved rear trans mounting also came about this time.
    I added steady rods on my '32 to prevent movement with the T-5. I'm using a '34 clutch pedal operating a '51 Merc bell that uses the early style release fork, just like pre-'40.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. rusty valley

rusty valley

open drive with a slip yoke would not need a steady rod

OLSKOOL57 likes this.

5. Anti-chatter rods were used on '40 Fords.

6. sdroadster

sdroadster

I had a 41 convertible with early drive line and a 307 SBC. I modified my anti chatter rods and attached them to Chevy engine. I think I remember threading the rod, installing a Heim joint, and attaching them using one bolt that incorporated the motor mount.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

41 Fords also had steady rods. They extended from the engine to front cross member.
    Last photo shows aftermarket "anti chatter" kit that bolted to engine and hooked to frame "X" member.

Attached Files:

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do on my open drive with a slip yoke, to prevent engine movement, because of the early clutch linkage design.

Hnstray, big duece and rusty valley like this.
  9. rusty valley

rusty valley

interesting thought bob. i guess when they went to the pedals hanging under the dash then clutch linkage was no longer front to back, or interrupted by some sort of linkage. 57 T bird has them yet?

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1940 is when Ford went to a clutch equalizer that cancels forces from the pedal linkage to the clutch linkage.
    The '55-'57 T-Birds as well as some early Y-block cars uses center-front engine mounts along with a center transmission mount that necessitated vertical struts or steady rods along side the engine to keep it from flopping side to side. Totally different function than the early Ford rods.

Hnstray and rusty valley like this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

My good friend has a '47 convertible with a 312 Y block and '39 trans and stock '47 closed driveline and rear end. Hurst front engine mount with biscuits. Flywheel re-surfaced and new clutch parts. Has the Hurst anti-chatter bolt up front. Clutch chatters so bad he can hardly use it. He added a turn buckle to help steady it and that helped a little. It also has the old timey longer rear shackles to lower the car. I have heard that compounds the chatter. Any ideas for his clutch problems? '47 doesn't use anti-chatter rods.
    Thanks,

Dave

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Might be worth a try for your friend to install one of the
    after market "anti chatter" kits that I posted earlier OR make
    his own. Is he still using the FORD stock front suspension and wishbone?
    Also, replace the motor mount biscuits on the rear of the transmission and
    front of engine.

Here's a helpful thread.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chatter-rods.762566/

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

With some oil on the clutch, and a little slack in the mounts, you can see 7 steering wheels in your hand, taking off.

winduptoy likes this.
  14. I believe ‘46-‘48 Ford cars used a different type of trans mount so the rods weren’t needed. If you use side mounts for the SBC I think you’ll be ok. The rods are there to help eliminate front to back motion of the whole driveline because of the biscuits way in the front and the slight give of the transverse leaf rear?.

I really miss Bruce.......:(

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    egads likes this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, Bruce would know the answer. He was a wonderful genius.

ffr1222k likes this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

To go a little off topic here, full size Chevy 4wd's from the mid '90's, and probably more years than that, have a bracket that goes on the engine underneath the mounts that have support rods attached to them, for folks who may want to go that route. I was going to post a pic earlier when I was out in the garage, but I forgot to.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here is a pic of the Chevy brackets 20200330_151507.jpg

-Brent- likes this.
  18. Mimilan

Mimilan

You don't need them with any sliding driveshaft or yoke.

The forward driving thrust at the axle would try and push the engine forward on the rubber mounts.
    The clutch pedal was attached to the bellhousing making a smooth take off difficult to control

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not an absolute. Suggest you review post #'s 8 & 10 above....

Ray

20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Man, I love the HAMB. My RPU is the first old ford I've built and I'm always learning stuff. I have a little chatter in reverse and it looks like I need to add some Steady Rods!

21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's pretty easy to see if you need "steady rods". Carefully watch the engine and/or trans while you're dis-engaging the clutch. If you see movement, you need something to prevent this; new/better engine and/or trans mounts, or rods. Keep in mind the "steady rods" will not cure a shot clutch chatter. ;)