Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gambino taildragger on a '53 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brooksinc1976, Apr 25, 2017.

1. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

64Kaddy likes this.
  2. 40desoto

40desoto

Ive been following this thread and its really helping me install my Gambino taildragger kit. On mine I noticed that the c notch width is about 1/2 “ wider than the frame once one side is welded flush thus causing a 1/2” overlap towards the inside of the frame. I chose to let the overlap towards the inside instead of the outside of the frame in order to not disturb the brake caliper clearance on the outside of the frame. Browsing through the web I have not seen any setup that has such a large overlap.
    I cant imagine there being a structural difference just cosmetic. Does anyone have any advice or have seen a setup with an overlap this large?

Attached Files:

buzzbrother likes this.
  3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'd just cut or grind it back to a 1/4" and run a nice fill weld to it. Should give you a good strong weld area.

I'd say they are made wide to fit different frame width and you cut to fit width.

4. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

What frame is that for. I know Alex is a great resource and is great about calling back. On the 49-54 Chevy the bottom plate is wider to address the top hat design of the frame. He has other notches for diff frames. That all said my "c's" sucked in a little but nothing like that. I used 3/4" square tubing I had laying around for a spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 40desoto

40desoto

On the side that it “sucked in” a little, did you mount that side towards your wheel side of the frame?

6. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Its for a 1940 desoto coupe frame

7. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

The top plate of the 49-54 kit was only 1/4" wider than the top of the tophat frame. I talked to Alex to confirm but just left a 1/8" on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Well I thought I sent a reply. My topplate was about 1/4" wider than the top of the frame and the "C" plates. I split the difference and had a 1/8" lip on each side

9. johnnyknuckles79

johnnyknuckles79

Sorry If i missed it, but what did you run for a rear end? I'm currently stockpiling parts to get mine on the ground before spring and came up on the usual S10 4x4 rear end

10. dan31

dan31

77' Camero [ 1" wider than stock 54' rear]

11. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Same '77 camaro

johnnyknuckles79 likes this.
  12. 40desoto

40desoto

Thanks for your help and pictures. I ended up boxing the frame before placing, alligning and cutting 1/4 inch from the inside overlap. This game be a 1/8 inch overlap and I was able to weld a good bead in between..
    Boxing the frame made the frame width the same which then allowed me to better alling the notches

Attached are some pics before and after I boxed the section of the frame

Attached Files:

buzzbrother likes this.
  13. 40desoto

40desoto

Any updates on the ride? How did it all turn out. I have a 1940 Mopar and my frame is an X frame. I havent seen many examples of one with a triangulated 4 link installed.
    How far from the frame are your lower bars? Im wondering what is the recommended distance. Since my my frame starts curving inwards at about where the lower bar mounts I wasnt able to install a 2x2 tube to mounth the lower bracket like most Ive seen.

Attached Files:

14. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Looks good man. I'll measure how far, I can't remember. Life slowed me down a bit( kid sports, holidays, and had to rebuild a tuff shed for room.) I'm almost done with the front.

15. 40desoto

40desoto

Thanks! Yes life happens like that sometimes.
    Im wondering if it even matters. Most Ive seen are mounted about 4-5 inches inwards from the inner frame. Mine appears to be about 6-8 inches inwards. Wondering how much, if any, it matters.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will affect handling. The should be as far apart as possible.

That said, I'm not sure you'd notice, unless you were setting up a road-race car.

brooksinc1976 likes this.
  17. ballom

ballom
    from langley

Great video , I am just starting to do mine. Do you still have those measurements , it's hard to see in the video and would be greatly appreciated as this is my first notch and anything will help

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

buzzbrother and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. mista

mista
    from Finland

Great thread. Thank you man.

buzzbrother likes this.
  19. 40desoto

40desoto

Hey Brooksinc. Hope all is well with younand staying safe. Im back on my project since we have been ordered to stay home.

Did you ever finish and get the 53 on the road? Im wondering how the ride is? I installed by rear shocks today and was wondering if you mounted yours at an angle or straight vertically.
    I intalled mine straight vertical and got them really close to the axle tube. Reason for it because when I deflated the bags The shocks would bottom out and there for had to angle the under axle shock mounts at an angle that set the shock about 1/4 away from the axle tube. IMG_2067.JPG

20. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Just stumbled upon this thread. Very cool build. Any updates?

21. good info here thanks for sharing

22. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

23. 40desoto

40desoto

I ended up relocating my lower bars to get them closer to the wheels and made a bracket to help strengthen the mounting point. They are now at the same location as the original leaf springs. My project was delayed due to childbirth in between so I'm back at it now.

Attached Files:

24. onelow41

onelow41

Keep up the progress really enjoying the build.