Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on FORD Flathead standard bore size.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoesJunkGarage, Mar 27, 2020.

1. JoesJunkGarage

JoesJunkGarage

Hello, Does anyone have the correct measurements for a Ford Flathead V8-60 (17 stud) standard bore size? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Joe.

2. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

3. Deuces

Deuces

Sounds like the size for a Briggs and Stratton motor....:confused:

town sedan and s55mercury66 like this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

5. JoesJunkGarage

JoesJunkGarage

Thank you for the answer back! I did see this specification listed over at "Vanpelt sales" website. It just seemed odd! I was asking as I found one local for sale here in Indiana where I live. The guy is asking $200.00 for a complete engine! The head's are off, looks very clean by the pictures he provided. I thought I would measure it to see if it was still stock bore dimensions! Thanks again for the help!

town sedan likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

hope you bought it yesterday!

7. deucemac

deucemac

I was talking to an old Ford line mechanic years ago and the subject of flatheads came up. He told me that V860 was the only engine that he could race spark plugs in while running and never notice a loss in power!

8. Joes-welcome and stick around,also join Fordbarn for lots of flathead help and info.

JoesJunkGarage likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

did you mean ‘replace’?

Texas Webb and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  10. JoesJunkGarage

JoesJunkGarage

I do understand that the V8-60 would not be the best choice for performance! What I do realize is this, I think the reason we are here is we all have good old hotrod ingenuity! We love to make more horsepower where the manufacturer left off! My Grandfather did it, my Father did it, and well, I hope my Grandkids someday have the ability as well! I’ve never played with hopping up a V8-60 flathead other than a stock one. I’m finding this possibility intriguing! I bet everyone of us as kids found speeding down the street on a single cylinder brigs & stratton minibike exhilarating! I think a V8-60 in a lightweight “T” type hotrod would not only scoot along well enough to give you a big smile, the sound of any vintage V8 engine should bring a smile to any gear head! Well, my two cents!

11. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

A better choice , if ya wanna stay small is the French version called the "Aquillon " v8 by Matford then Simca . They made em in large numbers in Brazil right up till the early 70s ! .In stock form they made about 8o hp due to a center exhaust baffle cast in and a half scoop relief on the blocks intake valve .Cyl heads ,intake manifold ,and the small bits mostly fit .A curious critter but a better proposition if you are gonna thrash it a bit .

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Didn't the latter ones have OHV like the Aurdun?

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Might look clean with the heads off....but...Make sure the motor is not seized. Look for cracks in the block around the head bolt holes and bottom rail.
    For $200 you might get lucky and have good block.
    Good luck.

town sedan likes this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joe, you sound like @bubbasignition over on the Ford Barn.
    Welcome

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. JoesJunkGarage

JoesJunkGarage

I actually just signed up at the Ford Barn from a suggestion from Texas Webb in the above answers here! Same name, JoesJunkGarage!