Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chronisterracing, Mar 26, 2020.

1. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

I'm trying to find a shipper to Alaska from Chicago area. I am trying to ship a crate of body parts. Seems the Fastenal method has temporarily stopped during the virus stuff...any other ideas?

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

3. greener200

greener200

I think your up chitz creek
    And your not alone .Lot of people waiting on parts and goodies ,myself included. Keep the faith .
    Out-running the virus
    One Day at a time

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I don’t know of any truck lines or package delivery service that not running. They are all busy with people trying to get frt move b/4 a disruption happens. Most of your frt forwarders to Alaska work out of Seattle or pnw. Magnum out fargo hooks out with Carlisle ( ice road truckers) . check with a ltl carrier they could interline with a Alaskan truck line, but will not come cheap.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Al T likes this.

5. poncho catalina

poncho catalina
    from summit il

I have used Greyhound in the past for 2 fenders also was the cheapest.. Had to go down town to pick it up
    They put it on when they have room. I would think if they are running, they should have room

6. 5window

5window

How big a crate are you talking about? Could it be broken into smaller shipments and sent another way?

7. Budget36

Budget36

Ya, used GH before, not sure if it's a good time of the year to go to a bus terminal tho.

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Will greyhound go to Alaska?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't believe there is bus service to Alaska.
    Most anything that is shipped to Alaska is shipped by barge or freighter. Freight is loaded into containers in Seattle or containers shipped to Seattle are loaded on barges and the barges are towed to Alaska. If it goes by truck though Canada you have to deal with Canadian customs even though it never gets off the truck there.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got a '36 Ford hood delivered today by UPS...they're still in operation

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think you mean the CBC/Netflix show called "Schitt's Creek"...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  12. No bus service here or Fed X ground. I do drive from Alaska to Reno with my semi bi annually. I am planning a trip in June. Best to wait till this is over then ship via Fastenal.
    I am in Anchorage
    Vic

13. earlymopar

earlymopar

I was just going to suggest arranging something with a semi driver. I've done that with some 37' Dodge doors and it worked out well tying them behind the cab. Another option (and one you do have going between the lower 48 and you) is the train. Good luck whichever method you use.

- EM

14. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I just got an engine and trans that was shipped via UPS freight. You might check with them.

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Road Trip......

Go get it yourself - take a week - document the trip along the way - post it - to there and back and you would be a major hit with the fellas.

Seriously -You only live once and only a handful of guys on here could ever say they went to Alaska to go get a part.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We cant do road trips down under. Only essential services may travel here. The cops are stopping folk on the roads to verify they are essential . All non essential carriers are laid up.

17. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

its a 29 roadster body taken apart. so its 4x4x3

18. 5window

5window

Not to be dumb, but, surely, there are '29 roadsters a bit closer than 3500 odd miles away from you? And, don't call me Shirley

19. He's not allowed across the US/Canadian border. Hard to road trip to Alaska without being able to do that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yea as soon as you mentioned it - I understand what you are referring to.
    Maybe something to look forward to hopefully sooner than later.
    Lets hope.

K13 likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most freight that goes to Alaska goes like this in a container on a barge. Western tow boat barge.jpg

You might check with http://www.lynden.com/ltia/ and then ask if they have a freight company in your area that they work with on a regular basis. Most freight companies have other companies that they work with that regularly deliver to their terminals.
    Scrolling down the western tow boat page that that photo was on they tow freight for Lynden. I'd check with them first.

Another one to check. Again you want to ask who they work with in your area. https://www.odfl.com/Content/alaska.faces
    https://ltl-solutions.xpo.com/help-center/faqs-freight-shipping-alaska/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020