Register now to get rid of these ads!

interested in 4-bangers

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 4 banger john, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 4 banger john

4 banger john

This is my first post. I have lurked here occasionally over the years and have now registered to be a proper member of the site. I have several hot rods, one being a 32 Ford pickup with a professionally built Model B ford 4-banger with full pressure oil, counter balanced crank, custom connecting rods, lightened flywheel and V8 clutch driving a GM 5-speed via a Steve Serr (Miller Hi-Speed Head guru) adapter setup. On top is a Dan Price version of a Cragar OHV four-port head. I also have a 34 pickup, a 29 fiberglass roadster, and a 32 chassis-in-waiting.

So that is my intro. I have been hot rodding for about 65 years, many of those fairly inactive due to family and career, etc.

I am now seeking information on the Depression-era Miller/Schofield/Cragar twin-cam cylinder head for the A and B 4-bangers. It ran fairly well in dirt trackers as late as the early 1950s. Gordon Eliot White at the Goossen Archives provided me with one blueprint copy that does not include cam tower details nor the front gear drive details. I have one article on this engine from January 1951 Hot Rod Magazine by Don Francisco. I am seeking further information that you may have.

Thanks in advance.
    4 banger john

2. dudley32

dudley32

Welcome to the HAMB...I left you a link on your other post to one of the many banger threads (there's a new one every month). Post your questions over there and you are sure to find someone with the information you're looking for...enjoy...

3. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey John,
    I'm aware of you search (Ford Barn) for this info and sorry that I cannot help with the info that you need.
    You may be aware, that there is an American Museum of Speed (mid west ?) that has a fabulous collection of old banger blocks , heads and speed equipment...beyond belief ! I've been wondering if curators there could help steer you to what you need ?
    If not too much trouble, I'd love to see pictures of your head/pieces setup. I ask, because I've been looking for same setup for MANY years ! Im 76 and like old banger stuff to play with. I've located one such head, but it is stored and guy is not selling. I guess this equipment is fairly rare. I know an OLD racer who has lots of such equipment, but for me to look at only...ha ! I've sold him some speed equipment, but it is a one way street.
    I'm on Left Coast. If I can help in some way from this area Calif, let me know.
    Rick