Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing a Columbia and Q.C. in a "32"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by solidaxle, Mar 21, 2020.

1. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

So here's what I have.
    A late "32" V8 rear with a 3 1/2" wide center section.
    Rebuilt ( bullet proofed) Columbia Two speed with shorted axle housing for the 3 1/2 " center
    Halibrand 201 Q.C. 3 13/16 wide. Set up to use a torque tube.
    What's the best way to make this work? Take 5/32 off each axle housing and reuse the "32" axles.
    Upgrade the axles and bearings from Hod Rod Works?
    Look for a Halibrand 101?.
    What about the torque tube?
    I may just go with the Columbia and skip the Q.C., it would certainly simplify things.

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

one or the other
    You don,t need both

tractorguy likes this.
  3. speedshifter

speedshifter

I think it would be really cool to have a QC and Columbia OD. I have a V8 QC with F1 pickup axles and axle gears. F1 axles are too large a diameter to go through the center of the OD unit. Possibly would work with stock tapered axles. Greg

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Have you checked the bolt pattern of the axle housings on the QC? I know the H101 uses the Model A pattern and the 201 fits the '35 & up trumpets. But I don't know anything about Deuce rear axles.

5. alchemy

alchemy

A late 32 rearend won't fit a Halibrand 101. The 101 only fits Model A and the early 32 unsupported rears.

I don't have a solution to your problem.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That being said, I think that shortening the trumpets 5/32" is likely the best solution. If you part it off in a lathe you can probably cut the proper amount out and simply reweld it back together.

Henry must have had some tolerance. I might try assembling it as is and see if 5/32" is really the magic number.

Let us know how it works out. I have pieces to do a V8 QC/Columbia but it's on the back burner right now.

Bruce

7. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

After doing a little research you and Alchemy are correct, early 32 centers are 9 3/4", later 32's, which I have are 10", so using a 101 is not going to work.

8. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I made a decision. Considering I spent a long time last year chasing down a cracked intake. Once the car was running well, I enjoyed running the shit out of it.
    Installing the Q.C. would be a major expenditure of time, with pulling the body, modifying the rear cross member and fuel tank. So installing the Columbia will be my goal for now and save the Q.C. for another time.
    Thanks for replying.

town sedan likes this.
  9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Geez, I wish you would do it!

10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Eventually I will. It's an evolving project, never ends. There's a couple of other things that need to be taken care of.

Lighten up the flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate and go through the Tranny.

If I get into installing the Q.C. it wont see the road for a while.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The Columbia is really a "quick change", eh?

uncle buck likes this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

13. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

With the 3- speed "39" tranny, I will actually have a six speed, minus the power shifting.

Boryca likes this.
  14. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

15. A Boner

A Boner

Convenient change.

16. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. 97

I saved this one from the HAMB years ago. I think it is in an A roadster . Dream of finding and affording a Columbia one day.

P1010102.jpg

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Automotive Stud likes this.
  19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Anyone know what the appendage is on the left axle tube?

20. uncle buck

uncle buck

It looks kind of like a torque tube clamshell on the outside. If I remember correctly that car was in Australia or New Zealand

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Looks like he's manually shifting the Columbia. Hard to see, but there's no vacuum can. I'd like to see the linkage set up.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  22. Is it an independent rear setup?

Automotive Stud and seb fontana like this.
  23. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

My friends '32 three window, shifted manually and has a full floor in the trunk with a extra gas tank and spare tire along with the stock gas tank in the stock location.

DSC08753.JPG DSC08754.JPG

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  24. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Do you have any pictures of the manual shift?

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I found this looking for something else relating to Columbia vacuum shift schematics. That red car (32 roadster) is down here in Australia.
    Installing a Columbia Overdrive Axle 1.jpg Installing a Columbia Overdrive Axle 2.jpg Installing a Columbia Overdrive Axle 3.jpg Installing a Columbia Overdrive Axle 4.jpg

glennpm, Blues4U and town sedan like this.
  26. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

I have one under a 1939 Ford with 4.44 gear. This car was my Dad's from the 1950's - this rear was a junk yard find in 1958 for $25. Do not have working vacuum canister system. The can was taken off the vacuum shift and a bolt threaded in as a "handle". Dad would crawl under and shift manually when the car was stopped. I would love to see a manual shift linkage - or been thnking about linear elect. actuator. tail pipe.jpg

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Attached Files:

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  28. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Columbia's are the tits man. Put one under my '35 pickup with 3.54 gears and I love it. I hadn't thought about adding QC gears though... that would be real slick.

I've seen some folks use A brake rods to make a manual linkage to the e-brake lever, but then you have to figure out what you're dong with the brakes to make that work again. Maybe a dash mounted e-brake lever... Oh, and it seems (like many old things) the more you use it, the better it works. The vacuum can works great, but can be slow to actuate if it's been sitting for a minute.

29. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Sorry no pictures, but he used a morse cable with a bell crank to get the right ratio for the pull (cable alone wont give you the correct pull). He made a bracket that bolts to the four bolts the canister bolts to mount the bell crank to and used the lever from the canister to attache the cable to. The shifter also has detente to keep it locked.

MIKE STEWART likes this.