Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Sweet Heart Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Dec 9, 2019.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

The Dykem Blue only works on bare metal. You can also use a thin (!) coat of black lacquer on metal that isn't clean with the same results. Good luck!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Yeah, that was my plan to use it on baremetal. I think it could make life a bit easier when working with sheetmetal.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Hotrodray

Hotrodray
    from Sweden

Verktygsboden in Sweden has it!

4. IronTrap

IronTrap

Started thinking about fixing up the old 33-ish Chrysler dash I had mocked up in the car and it lead me to just laying out making a new dash using the Chrysler as inspiration. I think I'm going to leave it "blank" for now to just stare at it and figure out what I want to do for gauge layout. I have an old "Limo Panel" but it's a bit earlier than the style of the car currently. I'm thinking about painting the entire dash and then making a turned or polished insert that covers the entire inside of the dash with holes cut for gauges.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could do it out of stainless/ aluminum and polish it. Then mask and paint the edge? I remember Bass chromed the dash for the Texas playboy roadster and then painted it leaving the little stars chrome etc

mad mikey and IronTrap like this.
  6. sodas38

sodas38

Awesome work, love the build plan. I also love your shop.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. IronTrap

IronTrap

Sneak Peak before the video comes out. Got the Dash trimmed down and the top edge tacked to the modified Model A dash rail. I just trimmed the sides down to let the dash hang freely so forgive the gaps in the corners. Further down the line I'll build curved panels that will flow from the corners of the dash into the top of the doors. I am going to leave the dash blank for a gauge arrangement for now and stare at it to decide what I want to do.

I'm also heavily leaning towards building new doors for this thing because these ones are so hammered it would take me forever to even get the inner structure solid again and then I still need to build new skins.

I'm going to make the filler panel between the dash rail and the gas tank next then move back to customizing some front hairpins. Fun and challenging making stuff from scratch flow with original parts.

tacked-1.jpg tacked-2.jpg

8. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Man that is a tough decision! I would be tempted to just install nice set of SW gauges with no insert, that is a really clean late 50s look. Of course an Auburn dash would be really timeless and bitchin too. Beautiful lines on that dash Matt, loved the video

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    IronTrap and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. chromelady

chromelady

COMMENT. NO SIN ON CUTTING THE 32 FIREWALL. IT LOOK'S GREAT. THE FIREWALL LOOK'S LIKE IT BELONGS THERE. BOTTOM LINE, IT'S A HOT ROD. YOUR SOUL IS CLEAN! THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR VIDIO ON THE HAMB! DENNIS.

chryslerfan55 and IronTrap like this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

I have been watching this project - and all the others! - regularly on your YouTube channel. I really enjoy your hands-on how-to segments and am consistently amazed at how well you turn your vision into reality. The "Free-T" is a great example of making chicken soup from chicken...well, you know. Keep up the good work, Matt.

Question: where did you get the cordless impact screw remover tool? I've seen them in the air impact version but not the lighter duty ones like yours. Neat tool!

11. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks for watching, I'm glad this stuff isn't too boring for people after a while! I get worried sometimes.

The screw buster tool is an Eastwood tool. It is mainly meant for the air chisel/rivet gun. Not sure if that's what you mean? You can find the screw buster here: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-screw-buster.html

12. "too boring" ? Lol. No way. To think I always feel guilty for commenting too much .. ha. Yeah, no way boring at all. That channel rules.

Nostrebor, loudbang and bowie like this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

No worries on the boring thing Matt. They are very informative.jmho. Snowman

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yep, that's the one. Ordered one today. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  15. IronTrap

IronTrap

We're still busy in the shop. Hopefully have these all polished and welded this week. Little sneak peak.

IMG_4895.jpg
    IMG_4896.jpg

16. Japper

Japper

jim snow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I wish I could like this post eleventy.

Matt, your YT channel is the only reason I turn on a TV. Your content is the bestest!

18. Deadbird

Deadbird

Great build thread Matt! Very cool to see it here on the HAMB. I've been watching on YouTube. Your videos are great and the shop is just killer. You've got my attention!

19. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Don't recognize the tranny your using. Also what brand is the bell housing. Roadster is turning into a real "sweetheart".

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Been following this build on YouTube. It'll be sharp when it's done.

I've also been watching the videos on the 34 sedan. Since it has a 265, it might be a good idea to pick up the following book. The 265's and early 283's have several differences from the later small blocks. The most well known is the rocker arm oiling. Less known is the distributor and it's proper clocking and installation. Clocking the distributor in the wrong place or using a newer distributor, can cut off oil to the rockers

There are other differences, too, and this book covers them. As far as I know, it is not being reprinted, so a used copy would have to be found. Also, there is more than one printing. The 2nd printing is from 1957, and a later one is from about 1962, (it includes the "New 327"). Not sure when the first printing was.....Probably 1955???

How To Modify Chevy V8 Engines Don Francisco.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  21. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Like the shop.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Hi Matt.
    Found you.
    Ive just started watching your Youtube stuff. Shortens my work lay off time considerably. Great videos...and educational to me as a novice in many areas.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  23. Matt is a no nonsense hot rod guy with great skill and teaching ability . Watch, learn, and enjoy.:)

24. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Man you know how to juggle 1000000000 projects like no other. What ever happened to the yellow T project?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.