Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Could this price be right on Jegs Roller rockers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

2. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

If you have 7/16 rocker studs you would be fine. Though 95% (just made that stat up) of folks have 3/8 studs on their small block chevy’s.

3. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Your link was for 7/16, but there are 3/8 on their site as well though. Same price.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

6. Budget36

Budget36

Tried, closed till 7 am tomorrow.

Do you have another thought?

7. Budget36

Budget36

I'm wasn't looking for a cheap thing, that just seems too good to be real, quality would obviously be a concern, that's why I asked about the Jegs one's that popped up...figured Jegs might stand behind things, or maybe adding $$ to the ones you posted.

Fluck...what's a boy to do in the house these days;) ?

8. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I would say these are same quailty as jegs. They have good reviews. If worried buy the 5 or 6 hundred dollar set.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Well in my younger days, was it Trogans or the gas station quarter machine?

I'm asking for opinions on the rockers, hell...I could spend 10K on a block to build an engine, but do I need to?

That's why I ask.

10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

amazon has more reviews than jegs and they are all good. What are you building and how much does roller rockers matter?

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Cheapo Chinese parts. Every "speed shop" has access to them at that price. They are not built to the tolerances that higher priced rockers are. We used some on a couple claimer style circle track engines a few years ago. They work but I wouldn't plan on a long life out of them.
    SPark

saltracer219 likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

This is advice I'm after. Thanks.

13. Budget36

Budget36

Well, think of it like this, Bonneville racers will do things with the body, tire size, etc, to free up resistance and get a few more MPH's, right?

So even though adding RR's to an engine isn't making HP, it's freeing up a few ponies.

Does it really matter, no...kinda like putting in a $2K GV OD behind your rig, pay for it once and enjoy the benefits of it.

14. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Personally used Jeg's of 15 years ago on 2 engines but don't know if they are the same mfg today. Both engines still around today no issues. I used Lunati's on earlier build and Crowers on later. I'm sure the
    Crowers are more accurate, but also using w/ much higher lift and spring pressures and $600+

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree with that. Chinese imports, probably won’t last as long as a name product

16. They look like Elgin knock-offs. I see them all over eBay, probably the same as what Jegs has.

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

So spend 600+ on a good set to free up a few ponies. Seems like a waste of money to me. I would just keep what i had.

18. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Combinations can make differences.
    Significant HP differences can come from combinations. RR's allow more aggressive cam ramp profiles than flat lifters, together = more than a few ponies can be gained if desired.

Ed

wheeldog57 likes this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a SBC any roller tip rocker is better than stock which slides across the valve tip and eventually wears the guides. Whether the bearings on these will last for you and pins holding the bearings are the correct heat treat is another matter.

Budget36 likes this.
  20. uncle buck

uncle buck

They are advertised as SS but most likely made of real genuine Chineseum , what could possibly go wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

judge the product not the CoO.

At one time, decades ago, penicillin, vitamin C, and many other prescription and over-the-counter products were manufactured in the United States. But now, antibiotics, antidepressants, birth control pills, blood pressure medicines, cancer drugs, among many others are made in China and sold in the United States.Aug 27, 2018

22. saltracer219

saltracer219

23. Fiend42

Fiend42

As always you get what you pay for. The price of high-end aluminum 7/16" rockers is over $250.00 per set. Look up cost, per rocker, from Dove Mfg., a top line company, $350.00 plus for set. These are the hard core race parts, hence the cost. All kinds of cheaper stuff out there but remember this... when safety is a concern (steerings, brakes, lights) spend the most....when you consider how hard the repair will be, in the event of a major failure ( inner motor parts, trans, rear end) spend the most....when something simple breaks and leaves you stranded on the roadside ) fuel pump, starter, battery) spend the most. Now you know why our hobby is so damn costly. Take it from a 77 year old rodder who is still doing it, and in the past has been towed home way too many times, DO NOT GO CHEAP. Oh I almost forgot, make sure all wiring is the right gauge and that all connections are tight the first time around.

town sedan, Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks all,

See, the ad came to my inbox and intrigued me, probably a google thing since I'd been looking of the Scorpion rockers which have a real good reputation. That's what struck me, 200 for a set of SS, or 250 for a set of Al...kinda on a fact finding mission;) I'd seen the lowcost SS rockers before, then saw the Jegs ad, so it made me do a double take.

For longevity I'll most likely spend the money on the Crane SS rockers, they seem to be favored over the Comp rockers from what I've been researching.

If this was an engine I'd be tearing apart weekly, things might be different, but as been mentioned by most...best to just spend the dollars once and "fuggitabouutit":)

Thanks again.

25. Scorpions have a good rep. I'm using Lunati aluminum rollers in my 355, they were $275/set 4 years ago.
    DSCN0069.JPG

Budget36 likes this.