Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wanted: AMBR PICTURES FROM BEGINNING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Booby T, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Stogy likes this.
  2. I’ve always been in love with Blackie’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is interesting how much he (Blackie) was involved in these GNRS entries over the years not to mention owning some of them...

Do check out the links...I have just glossed over a heck of a lot of added info from sources provided by many informed sources from The Hamb membership to Hotrod Magazine to the www..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    The Booby T likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4-1929-ford-roadster-gejeian.jpg

3-1929-ford-roadster-gejeian.jpg

Emperor-1929-Ford-Model-A-Roadster-1.jpg

https://www.kruzinusa.com/emperor-still-reigns-supreme/

emperor.jpg

http://customrodder.forumactif.org/t3332-the-emperor-29-ford-roadster-barris-kustoms

:rolleyes:...Chuck Krikorian's, AMBR Trophy Winner 1960, 1929 Ford Roadster,

While completing some of this Roadster build himself Chuck enlisted George Barris to put most of the Wild styling together with paint by Junior Conway into the Winning combination to take the Big Medal of the Show...

I like to try to locate period correct pics as the latter stages of these survivors often have updates not representative of the AMBR Winning format...

Credit to Photographers, Owners

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

Great thread Stogy, thanks.

The Booby T and Stogy like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1929-ford-highboy-roadster-marie-guasco-1961 (2).jpg

1929-ford-highboy-roadster-rich-guasco-vintage-promo (2).jpg

1929-ford-highboy-roadster-vintage-1962-oakland-show.jpg

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1929-ford-highboy-roadster-2/

:rolleyes:...Rich Guasco's, AMBR Trophy Winner 1961, 1929 Ford Roadster,

Just curious AMBR Experts...Richs Hotrod was shown with the Trophy in 1962...anyone know why that was...Perhaps because of his absence in 1961.

Quoted from the Hotrod Story below...

"In 1960, Guasco tore his rod down for yet more improvements, eyeing the AMBR prize. However, he was drafted before the '61 Grand National Roadster Show and didn't have a chance to put it back together. While Rich served in Germany, Al Stanton and his brother, Leroy, assembled the car and set it up in the show, with Mrs. Guasco's blessing. Thus was the 8 1/2-foot trophy accepted by a Hotrodder's mom, who proudly sent a telegram informing the soldier that he now owned America's Most Beautiful Roadster."

This Hotrod stayed with Rich with a hood and modern rubber added and is quite well presented at the link below...I hope good health is still with him...

https://www.sfgate.com/cars/myride/article/My-Ride-1929-Ford-Roadster-2298181.php#photo-1803130

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Great thread Stogy! Thank you for including my roadster.

The Booby T and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, I'm just adding to @The Booby T's request but I will stop at 1965 unless there are Hamb Friendlies after that and it may be possible but I'm having doubts about that...Your Uncle Rays Hotrod was not very well captured back in 55...at least from a web perspective, but because you did such a spot on period correct build it really rounds out that post nicely...you nailed it...and that is definitely admirable to see in this modern world of ours...;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    ANDEREGG TRIBUTE and The Booby T like this.
  9. I love the Anderegg Tribute, such a beautiful car. Love your tributes!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11-2020-grand-national-roadster-show-history-ambr-trophy (2).jpg

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/tex-smiths-hot-rod-xr6/

:rolleyes:...LeRoi Tex Smith's, AMBR Trophy Winner 1963, 1927 Ford T Roadster

The Grand National Roadster Show AMBR Trends were rapidly approaching more Modern Hotrod/Custom Hybrids leaving Traditional Hotrodders looking for new territory but it's a form that wowed many just leaving many in the the Hotrod Crowd Scratching their heads...

The XR6 is quite well covered at the Link above...;)

The Booby T and Jim Bouchard like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carl-Casper-Caspers-Ghost.jpg

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-1965-national-hot-rod-custom-show/

:rolleyes:...Carl Caspar's, AMBR Trophy Winner 1965, Caspar's Ghost, A Show Rod that kinda sits in the Middle of Hotrod/Custom...
    I often refer to them as Hybrids...1/2&1/2...another thing typical of Showrods is many are just that non roadworthy...But in The Big Daddy/Ratfink Era these proved to be popular despite reservations and the changing of the Hotrod Guard was well underway.

Credit to Photographer, Owner

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@The Booby T...I am going to call this near done...I am not an AMBR wizard but the Boss cut things off at 1965 around here as things were evolving toward gaudy or non Hamb friendly...There are a couple of exceptions but I think since your leaning towards a Blackie G. type Hotrod most need not be presented...Under these pics is a Link with Ryan discussing his opinions of the AMBR selections post 1965...interesting read...

Exceptions...as I find them...;)

HollenbeckAMBR2016.jpg

002-1932-ford-highboy-roadster-hollenbeck-.JPG (2).jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=29681

2016 AMBR Winner, Darryl Hollenbeck, 1932 ford Roadster

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Just Gary and The Booby T like this.
  15. Thank you for all of your posts Stogy! It’s been great!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Your welcome it's been interesting...;)...will be a couple more...2013 was a Tracknose...pretty traditional too...Hopefully you can find one of those posters...

The Booby T likes this.
  17. I will love it, thanks!

Stogy likes this.
  18. The Booby T likes this.
  19. Adjustments.JPG

Found this old picture of Blackie Gejeian’s Shish Kabob, taken at the LA Roadster Show around ‘99 or 2000. Note the chairs: Blackie’s Chair and Blackie’s Guest. Fun! Finding this lost treasure has made my spring cleaning totally worth it!

Just Gary and Sancho like this.