Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Social distancing & seemly endless rain = cabin fever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 24, 2020.

1. jim snow

jim snow

Got the old pile out today. Felt great. Maybe more tomorrow. Snowman

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rumor mill here has it the troopers are not supposed to pull us over for minor crap like speeding right now so as to avoid personal contact. I have not see anyone pulled over. Less people driving + no cops = Time to go play and practice some fuel recycling. But disinfect your hands after handling those fuel pumps!

3. Yep drove around town on Sunday was really nice before the rain came back on Monday... Cabin Fever relief for sure..
    Had a great time, even when I broke something on the 36 with clutch and limped back home.. still smiling.. Then got into my other off topic old rides and drove around some more.. 36stevens.jpg

4. ...just had a thot,...we are lucky this virus doesn't affect old cars or pets...

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Beautiful, Glorious, Sunshiny day for a 2 hour drive in my avatar with the wife. No stops anywhere. First time I've been out in over a month. Had rotator cuff surgery 3 weeks ago. Steering left handed, right arm in a sling with one of those big pads under it, and the wife running the shift lever, at least I was driving again. (It's an automatic!) Great day!
    I was just reading somewhere on the net that some are calling this virus "The Boomer Remover". That's better than half our HAMB population going by that post a while back about How old are you?. You guys all be extra careful. I'm supposed to start PT tomorrow. Scared to death to go near that place. Scared to not start PT for the shoulder. Maybe I'll go once and see if they can set me up for home therapy. It'll cost me but I think I could get the wife to play physical therapist!
    You old guys (like me) stay hunkered down. My hat is off to all still working, providing us all with the essentials. Especially those front line health workers. It takes a lot of fortitude. Thank you.

6. scoop

scoop

The governor just shut down MN. But my work is labeled essential so I can still work ,not too excited about that. My wife's a hairstylist and hasn't been able to work for the last week now it's another two weeks!I'm gonna break out the 31 this weekend or go nuts and if you know me that's not good!

7. billthx138

billthx138

Was nice out today with rain in the forecast, so I self distanced today with the sport coupe.
    IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1537.JPG

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Billy, Tn and Al troopers didn’t get the message, they’re still pulling folks over! Even saw a DOT cop inspecting a truck the other day!

As to the fuel pumps...
    I pay at the pump with a fuel card. I use a rubber glove on one finger to punch my data in on the keypad, the rest of the time I wear leather gloves to handle the nozzle. Since rubber gloves are so hard to find right now, I make one glove last 5 days. I don’t touch the pump, only my card with two fingers, and the keypad with the “ finger condom “. Then I throw the “ finger condom “ away and cut off a new one the next time. Got some wipes to wipe my hands with after I come out of the store. Trying not to take too many chances!

9. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

This Nations Livelihood travels by TRUCK. When I used to drive my car a lot before medical issues hit me a few years ago. I always felt safer behind a rig on interstates. The Drivers are the most safest on the road. As for “Scumbags” they are alive and well and as you said, they are everywhere.

10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Since being sentenced to this self lock down I started going through all the boxes of parts I've bought from under my stairs and now I do believe if I sold them I would have enough formally retire.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hang in there everyone. Been in the shop restoring an O/T AAR 70 cuda. Lippy

13. Every day I drive three miles to our other place and feed my cows. Today it wasn't raining so I chainsawed and lit fires on three tree stumps I am trying to burn. I spent a half hour just laying on the ground with my glasses removed letting the sun shine on my face. Our grandsons are running around barefoot in shorts. its 80 degrees here today.

chryslerfan55 and Rickybop like this.
  14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks For The Advice HRP And A Tour Really Helps...Appreciated... DSCN2232.JPG

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You ever re-read a post and get something completely different from it the second time? Sorry Snowman :cool:.

40ragtopdown, Slopok and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As fate would have it, I had to go get propane this morning for the shop heater....and then accidentally drove past the turn off to it....took me quite awhile to realize that and work my way back around to it. Probably wouldn't have happened in my modem car. That's why I didn't take it.
    Stay Healthy IMG_20200326_102207708.jpeg IMG_20200326_160054485.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil32, bobss396, Legends47 and 3 others like this.
  17. scoop

scoop

billthx138 likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost all "non essential" businesses are closed here and those open like the hardware store and mini mart have signs on the door limiting the number of people inside. Many closed on their own last week.
    I was on a mission to Costco with a short shopping list with my total time in the store under 8 minutes but I saw young families "going shopping" plus a 40 something couple wandering around rather aimlessly looking at things like it was their first time in the store.
    I got news this morning that a distant relative that I normally only see at family funerals every two or three years was the third person in the county to have it.
    Still when you are out and about don't stop at places where people who travel cross country normally stop. And don't touch stuff like hand rails or counter edges or door jambs that you normally might touch.
    if you have something to wear on your hands while pumping gas it would be a good idea to use it. One of the clerks at the gas station was cleaning the handles and hoses when I stopped for gas yesterday but not all are gong to be that clean.
    I'll probably end up taking my wife for a ride sometime in the next few days but we can do a lot of miles around here and not even be in a town.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    mad mikey likes this.
  19. Slopok

Slopok

That looks even more dangerous than a Pinto!:eek:

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't tailgate me then, that and I am not running Firestone 500's

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blue One likes this.
  21. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

May get the car out this weekend....Some of the guys around here are doing a strip cruise in Vegas...But you can't get out of your car...Like everyone else lot of old types in this hobby here to...Las Vegas is shutdown and looks like an old sifi movie No people... Car show on Eastern 1,4,2020.jpg

22. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Stay safe guys n gals. Try checking out what's happening in Europe. Here in UK we are in lockdown....no unnecessary driving or walking around. Police are questioning people they see (keeping a safe distance) fines being levied on anyone who doesn't comply.
    These aren't bullying tactics, it's to save pressure on hospitals. It gets real bad real quick, just look at Spain and Italy.
    Sorry if this post seems all doom and gloom.....hopefully we will get through this.....stay safe.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've taken our 56 Victoia out both weekends. For So Cal gas is really cheap and all 3 cars are full. If I'm going to catch it... It will be at a grocery store as that's the only place we are near anyone. I bought a 5000 box of what I call Subway Sandwich gloves from Amazon for protection. No masks for us. Being 75 and already retired gives us a jump on not going "stir".
    I worry about my son since he is a Troubleman for a utility and must interact with the public at times. The garage is my plate to hide even with 2cars in it. My LSR roadster is ready for May but I don't see that happening.
    Whether you agree with all this or not just have some common sense which is not all that common anymore.

24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I have been seeing a lot of classics on the road the last couple of weeks I think a lot of us are doing hot rod therapy to get some fresh air and a break From the news.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mad mikey likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,
    All good points on social distancing. because the local stores have senior hours, being early risers fits right in to the schedule. So, once every two weeks, lessens the social "exposure" when we and 5 other people are shopping during the earliest hour. We usually know what and where to go, so from 7:00 am to 7:20 am, we shop and then we are on the way home by 7:30. It is minimal at best and we don't have to hoard anything as the stores have hired more people and the shelves are stocked with more stuff.

We have been "fresh" groceries people for many years, so the fresh greens, fruits and vegetables usually last one to two weeks. But, we are adapting with what is available. Still healthy stuff, but just less of it. The gas stations are empty and even the big box stores have a few cars in the lot, like Lowe's. But, since they are emergency home repair places, it must qualify for the construction portion of the lock down rule.

In the last two weeks, I have seen a couple of old Ford trucks rolling down the street. There are just fewer cars on the road, including us. Our area of So Cal usually has a hot rod or two always cruising around, but those old Ford trucks were the only ones we saw, in our two times,JJ going out for groceries.

Jnaki
    If we wanted a "stay at home" fix, there is always Facetime portion of my wife's Apple Iphone to connect with family and friends. We just spent about 40 minutes with our granddaughter and her mom on Facetime. They looked good, but that little screen in the lower portion of the whole Iphone screen made us look rather bleek... We never look good on those small screen selfie portraits. But, at least it is communication and gathering information without leaving home. It was very easy to use and we were happy to see our granddaughter, live, but in a small Iphone screen.

Stay healthy and stay calm...

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I live north of Seattle so the rain thing is just part of life. And I've been practicing "social distancing" since I got out of the Army in 1984.

I think I'm immune to the cabin fever thing, I've been living alone in my cabin in the woods for 5 years, I go a week or more at a time without seeing or hearing another soul. Peace, quiet, old cars, Harley's and loud music are my regular companions.

brigrat, badvolvo, das858 and 5 others like this.
  27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Hmmmmm...........I just realized I have been practicing "social distancing" long before it had a name !

28. Twice this week, George and I headed west out of town. He ran like a well oiled sewing machine. 80/90 miles all alone. Few people seen once I left the west edge of town. Did see one Javalina. Can't get much more social distancing than that.

Ben