Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

Lots of thought and good workmanship going into this one.

2. Thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I reworked the shifter and pretty happy with the outcome.
    Some bending and a haircut did the trick. Happy I cut it since the thread size on the shifter knob I am planning on using was different than the one on the original shifter

thumbnail_IMG_5697.jpg
    Cardboard template showing the shifter in neutral and reverse gear in relationship to the seat.

thumbnail_IMG_5702.jpg
    Little bending at a time to ensure it wouldn't hit the seat cushion.
    Gives an idea of how much it was cut and bended.

thumbnail_IMG_5704.jpg
    That's how much it was removed from the top.

thumbnail_IMG_5703.jpg
    And there she is...
    Still need to figure out how to take it apart so I can send it to get chrome when ready.

thumbnail_IMG_5705.jpg
    Neutral

thumbnail_IMG_5708.jpg
    Still has good amount of room between shifter and cushion, when 2nd and reverse gear is engage

thumbnail_IMG_5706.jpg
    She clears the steering wheel...

thumbnail_IMG_5708.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5707.jpg
    Happy with the look of it. I've been saving this shifter knob fo the right car.

Next, is to start working on the frame mid mounts.

4. patman

patman

You sir are a master of the cardboard template. Nicely done!!!

5. That's for sure :)
    Thank you

6. Since I am now working from home, as many out there are, I finding more time here and there to go the garage and get some work done.
    Today, I started on the frame mid body mounts. The idea is for it to have the same "C" shape as the x-member. and the large hole in the middle. It might be an overkill but I want all of it to visually match.

Out comes the carload again...Once it is done, the bolt will only bolt to the upper flange with a wood block sandwiched in between.

thumbnail_IMG_5712.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5713.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5709.jpg

Folding 10 gauge is a bitch! Made a partial cut to make the process a bit easier and welded back once fully folded.
    This took the longest...Made me realize that I need to buy a bigger/heavier hammer
    thumbnail_IMG_5710.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5711.jpg

I just need to make the hole same size the x-member and another hole for the bolt to go through.
    Need to go get a Bi-metal hole saw bit big enough.
    I will get them welded once the body comes off.
    thumbnail_IMG_5714.jpg

7. Cutting the supports rods to length and starting to set up the grill to bolt on to the radiator.
    Starting to think how to build a cart/dolly to split the body...

thumbnail_IMG_5725.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5726.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5727.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5728.jpg

8. Placed an order for the hood.
    Going with Rottlieb. I was debating between them and Hoosier but decided to go with Rottlieb because they offer the hood sides style that I want and Hoosier only offer the stock or hot rod louvers..
    The plan is to get the '32 style hood, longer to fir the longer wheel base, bead roll to match the model A cowl. '32 center hinge with two rows of louvers on each half, to match the deck lid.
    Most of the time, I hope to run hood tops only but asked for it to be hinged on the sides, as I plan to order the hood sides with the 3 Ford windows/doors instead of louvers. Like to have the option of running a 4 piece hood now and then.
    ...4 to 6 weeks....waiting time.

Took a trip to Harbor Freight and got me a set of bi-metal hole saw bits....The mid mounts are now finished just waiting to remove the body to install.

thumbnail_IMG_5733.jpg

9. She now steers.
    Added set screws even thought the ends are weld-on. Just an added sense of security.
    Temporary bolts until I get the set screws
    thumbnail_IMG_5741.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5742.jpg
    Good amount of room between shaft and muffler.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. Steering column now ready to work with the column drop.
    Made the hole for the lock and the groove for the bottom break off bolt
    thumbnail_IMG_5774.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5775.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5776.jpg

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

that 29 is sweet

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. As I wait for the hood to be made and get here my "to do" list narrows down....back to some bodywork it is
    My respect to those body repair guys out there...This is the one part that I struggle the most with but I will get it sooner or later.

thumbnail_IMG_5784.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5787.jpg
    Almost there. Making sure is a straight as I can possibly get it.

thumbnail_IMG_5788.jpg
    Most of it ending up on the floor and a very thin coat on the body :)

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is what every great mud man says!:)

loudbang and nunattax like this.
  14. That's the goal! If I can get it straight enough then I will paint it black; otherwise, it goes Washington blue :)

loudbang, oldiron 440 and brEad like this.
  15. thumbnail_IMG_5791.jpg
    Driver side is done minus the glazing putty. The middle rolled bead that I cut and shorten came out nice.

thumbnail_IMG_5792.jpg
    Passenger side started with a lot of sanding and work to go.

16. Body work is one TEDIOUS task! Nothing exciting too report...but at least understanding better what I am supposed to be doing. Guide coat is becoming my best friend.
    Moving very slow, but so far, very happy with the results...aiming for a super deep black paint job....
    The rear corner, rear wheel well and rear belt lines are done for now. Moving back to the other rear corner.

thumbnail_IMG_5805.jpg

17. Getting the gutters nice and straight, mostly removing some of the pitting

thumbnail_IMG_5819.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5820.jpg

The rear cross sill that I had put together also received some attention. It will never be seen once the sound deadener and carpet is installed but rather get it done the right way.
    thumbnail_IMG_5821.jpg

18. Still working on the rear of the roadster. Now to fix some of the gaps that have been bothering me for a while now, form the work I did in page 4.
    ...Still waiting on my hood to be fabricated and delivered.

The rear deck looks much better that where I started but it still needs some fine tuning. The gaps on the sides are just a bit off, towards the bottom. Top and sides look good but the bottom areas are off....

thumbnail_IMG_5847.jpg
    Too wide on the bottom 3"-4" at the left corner...

thumbnail_IMG_5848.jpg
    Too tight on the right bottom corner...
    The bottom panel is off, close to a 1/4" on the top where it meets the body. Tight at the bottom...

thumbnail_IMG_5849.jpg
    The bottom panel's profile is a bit different than the deck....

thumbnail_IMG_5851.jpg
    The crown on the bottom panel is just a bid off from the deck...

So that is the "to do" list...
    I am starting with the bottom panel...
    thumbnail_IMG_5852.jpg
    I used a ratchet strap to pull some the crown in....not perfect but it helped and it is looking better....

thumbnail_IMG_5853.jpg
    Next, I filled the gap of the bottom panel to the body, by adding more metal to the panel..a wedge of metal.

thumbnail_IMG_5854.jpg
    Getting better...sitting loose with no bolts and it is already tight.

thumbnail_IMG_5855.jpg
    Much happier now...

thumbnail_IMG_5856.jpg
    Once I cut back the deck some, I will be pleased with a consistent gap on the side of the deck...

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  19. Started doing some work on the deck lid.
    ...Punch to the gut...the trunk latch mechanism is too tall for the louvered deck lid and back panel combination.
    As is, I am already using the shorter of the two mechanisms and it is too tall by 1/4" :-(

I took the cutting wheel and made a 1/4" pie cut around the pad to raise it and gain the 1/4" I needed.
    thumbnail_IMG_5858.jpg
    The holes for the bolts had to be enlarge some and the slot for the lock made about 1/8" higher.

thumbnail_IMG_5859.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5860.jpg
    Now the latch mechanism fits :) little metal prep and should be ready to be welded.

20. Had some time to finished the rework on the deck lid.

thumbnail_IMG_5869.jpg
    The area for the lock mechanism was welded and hit with lick of body filler. The mechanism fits like it was meant to be.

thumbnail_IMG_5871.jpg
    The left gap is now more consistent top to bottom. I added some metal to it.

thumbnail_IMG_5872.jpg
    Right gap was closed it. Had to cut and weld.
    thumbnail_IMG_5873.jpg
    The bottom gap is almost there. I might have to cut left bottom some and re-weld but I will wait for the mechanism and handle to be installed to be sure.
    Waiting on a '37 handle and rubber bumpers to get here to be able to set the lock in to determine the right height for the trunk.
    ...Starting to look like a zebra again...

21. I ended up not using the locking bracket that came with the bottom panel from Macs. I found it to be too short and felt the area where it locked in was too narrow.
    I ended up making and folding up my own. I now have a locking trunk :)

thumbnail_IMG_5875.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5874.jpg

22. Taking advantage that I had the deck lid out, I decided to jump ahead and started working on a form for the rear of the deck lid.
    Took a paper template...
    The plan is to make it out of thin plywood or fiberglass. It will be secured using the same attaching points as the rumble seat's backrest....and it will be covered with same material as the trunk, sometime down the road.
    ...Fingers crossed...never done this before so any feedback/tips/tricks are welcomed.

thumbnail_IMG_5878.jpg

23. Never2low

Never2low

Make sure you get bendable plywood. It's usually 1/8 or 1/4 inch, 2 ply, and it will allow you to form that contour.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Thank you! I didn't know there was such plywood. I am buying a sheet of 1/8" this afternoon and looking forward to using it.

I did a test run using two pieces of 1/4" regular ply bending them over 2x6's cut outs and it came good. I am sure this bendable plywood is going to come out even better...Thank you again!

IMG_5882.png thumbnail_IMG_0635.jpg

25. No more practice...
    2 layers of 1/8" bendable plywood....tomorrow we shall see...
    Fingers crossed....

thumbnail_IMG_5885.jpg

26. Very happy with the outcome...not bad for my first time.
    Need to clean up the edges and work on attachment brackets.

thumbnail_IMG_5887.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5888.jpg

27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

keep rolling them dice... looks great.

oliver westlund and loudbang like this.
  28. Added simple brackets, riveted to the back of the panel, to secure it to the deck lid.

thumbnail_IMG_5897.jpg

Bolted to the front using the access plate
    thumbnail_IMG_5896.jpg

She is done and ready to hit the storage. Won't see finish material for a while...
    This was a nice easy project. Only the sheet of plywood and glue investment...less than $50
    I am glad I went this route. I priced the materials to do it in fiberglass and I was looking north of $150 :-0
    thumbnail_IMG_5898.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5899.jpg

Back to the rear....
    I added the spare tire bracket that I had removed from the original rusty panel. Even though I won't be running a spare tire I added it to give it more rigidity.
    thumbnail_IMG_5902.jpg

I made a bracket that connect the spare tire bracket to the rear cross sill...this gives enough push to the panel below the deck lid to remove some of the crown and flushed closer to the deck lid...
    thumbnail_IMG_5901.jpg

Last task of the day...made the side template, for what will be the finished trunk....I will have to make sure the rear and front side braces are even and on the same plane...the idea is there...
    The plan is to make it out of MDF.
    thumbnail_IMG_5903.jpg

29. I called Rootlieb and my hood is still 2 weeks out, at least :-( so I continued to work in making the panels for the trunk

Cleaned up my template some more...
    thumbnail_IMG_5919.jpg

Bought me a sheet of 3/8" MDF and cut out the first panel. Some sanding required around the edges but nothing too big.
    Fits nice a smooth...left it loose enough so when I add the foam and fabric it will be pressured fitted. Velcro on the back of the panel will hold it in place.
    thumbnail_IMG_5916.jpg

Gas tank placed in to check clearance....Looking good...
    thumbnail_IMG_5917.jpg

...and now on to the other side...
    The template is the same but the gas tank needs to be cut out since the gas tank is pushed to passenger side to line up the filler neck.
    thumbnail_IMG_5920.jpg

30. loudbang

loudbang

Nice work. Looks good.

1947knuck and brady1929 like this.