Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragster frames........picture thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Bob's car^^ is amazing. I studied it very closely and was very impressed! Beautiful job Rooman!

2. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

I forget where I took this pic, it was a Buttera if I remember correctly.

IMG_0711.JPG

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

100_2587.JPG When I found it and what it looks like now R&B 001.jpg 100_2384.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Deuces, Sky Six and wraymen like this.
  4. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Deuces likes this.
  5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

would like more history on it about the original owners Quitter & Bresnahan out of Chicago

6. Yes! Yes! I was hoping this thread would get started up again!
    I go to the swap meets ready to bring home that forgotten FED to restore.
    Haven't found one yet, but I will! I need this thread to stay alive for the knowledge and inspiration!
    Thanks, Mike

TheTumbleweeds likes this.
  7. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

20170927_090156.jpg My rail, building this in Sweden

8. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Please keep this discussion going, I am learning a bunch.

Deuces likes this.
  10. rgdavid

rgdavid

Its a great thread, all the different types of frames.

11. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Compare those 3 frames to what they have to look like now to meet T/F spec 100_2839.JPG

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yeah then add the helmet bars that are necessary and it's a lot more structure and safety than the ol 3 point that it seems in a lot the old pics where the guys helmet is above the cage It sure don't have the look of the ol 3 point which I really really like but safety is number one

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and TheTumbleweeds like this.
  14. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

914-14.jpg
    Jazzy Nelson - we have come a long way.

30dodgeboy, Deuces and TheTumbleweeds like this.
  15. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

16. jnaki

jnaki

In 58-60, the next gen race cars, we have come a long way? in roll over protection? There was some progress, but not enough...as noted in these top race cars of the time period.
    upload_2019-2-24_5-32-55.png
    Gary Cagle Herbert Cams Special

Mickey Brown Quincy Automotive

Hello,

The above two videos show two of the best in the West. The Chet Herbert Cams FED with Gary Cagle and the Quincy Automotive Special with the late Mickey Brown. (a different FED accident) In the late 50s and early 60s, the speeds were getting higher and the E.T.s were coming down. Some of the best of the best at Lions Dragstrip had very well designed and built cars, but people always questioned the safety of those race cars. If you look at the designs, those drivers had to be somewhat brave to leave the safety of the cars with such little room for protection.

Tapia Bros SBC

H&H Garage Tets Ishimaru MEL

The chassis designs coming from all over So Cal worked well in all of the different classes, but at what cost? The newly formed Bell Helmets were tested and approved for the best in safety standards, that added to the bravado of these drivers. Those just exemplified the need for better roll protection. The helmets work, but only to certain speeds and types of damage. upload_2019-2-24_5-44-2.png
    Ed Losinski with Jack Chrisman

upload_2019-2-24_5-45-2.png
    (this film shows our 1958 Impala first in line, along the right side of the staging area. My brother said it was extremely loud in the Impala even with the windows rolled up, as the Losinski/Chrisman FED rolled into the start line area.)

One of Jack Chrisman’s early FED rides was in Ed Losinski’s sleek silver body build. It was a very competitive race car. Like Don Hampton (FED/COMP COUPE) and Gary Cagle FED/MODIFIED ROADSTER, Jack Chrisman SIDEWINDER/LOSINSKI/HOWARD CAM TWIN, also drove different race cars during this time period.

upload_2019-2-24_5-46-11.png
    Even the famous Dragmaster Group from Carlsbad, CA sold a ton of frames all across the USA. As sturdy as it was, the head clearance was definitely in doubt for roll over safety.
    DRAGMASTER 1959

Jnaki

Boy, times have changed and still the racers driving those full on safety spec approved machines are protected, but to what degree? Life is dangerous.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

Found this on another Internet group.
    1-00.jpg

KiWinUS, Deuces and TheTumbleweeds like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-25_4-19-53.png
    “Joe Mailliard, the Long Beach machine shop owner teamed with house mover Wayne Reed and graphic artist Chuck Jones, who raced a Fuel coupe before taking the reins of the "Automotive Engineering" dragster. This became the first of three sidewinder dragsters the team would campaign. Gone was the Chevy, replaced with a 550hp blown Chrysler Hemi, driving a solid axle by a stout double-row chain. A double-row chain also drove the supercharger. 70-percent of the weight was said to be biased to the rear.”

“By 1959 it was reworked with a lengthened chassis and new bodywork incorporating a zoomy tail similar to their new "5 Cycle" car. 5 Cycle was a marketing term referring to a particular type of Isky cam.”

Hello,

Being from the Westside of Long Beach from 1948, we seemed to be in the area of custom cars and hot rods. Then in 1955 to 1972 Lions Dragstrip opened and closed. Throughout those times, we felt like we lived at the Lions Dragstrip every weekend from 1957-60. It was about 3 miles to the main entrance from our house. During our junior high school days, our baseball field went right up to the elevated railroad banks, to give us a ringside seat during our Saturday sports events.

Of course, we had to cross the farmer’s plowed fields to get to the actual dragstrip, to get the real action right in front of us. This was at the midway and at the finish line where we heard the most powerful of race cars at their peak fly by us.
    Sidewinder in the Lions pits

One race car elevated, both my brother and me with a powerful sense of awe. It was one of the only rear engine race cars at any dragstrip in So Cal at the time. It was sleek, looked like a lowered jet on the runway, and made such a powerful sound that it was music to thousands of spectators and racers at Lions almost every week. The rear mounted Hemi motor was enclosed in a custom frame and they must have gotten the specs exactly right, as this race car always went straight. The rear engine race car was from Paul Nicolini and then, Joe Mailliard’s Speed Shop. Jack Chrisman was the driver.
    upload_2020-3-25_4-21-46.png
    Here is the best composite clip from my Lions film collection on the Sidewinder. The films are from Spring and Summer 1959 and the sound comes from September, 1959 at the U.S. Nationals in Detroit. At the time period in drag racing, a lot of racers had to use their push cars and trucks to get the race car up to speed for the initial fire up. That gave the spectators a preview of what was coming next for their enjoyment. No rollers, no bleach burnouts, no electric starter motors, just roll past everyone and let the clutch out.

SIDEWINDER SOUND

Jnaki

Here is a clear print of the art of Chuck Jones:
    upload_2020-3-25_4-22-35.png Chuck Jones 1959

19. Tom Hanna on the left, Don Long on the right. Don Long chassis.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Circa 68 Don Long car, notice the offset to clear starter, from it's time as an Econorail. After the new front half and cage, nearly ready for action in '88 at the NDRA wheelbase of 150". 2012-09-27 083713.jpg 2012-09-27 084725.jpg 2012-09-27 084849.jpg

FinnishFireball and Deuces like this.
  21. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Looking for any info on a dragster I’m getting ready to put back together it was allied shrapnel I and was built by rod stuckey and ran by Compton and Hayes here is the frame hangin on the wall and the only remaining piece of the body we have it has an olds rear had crosley steering and the front axle has anglia spindles looking for any and all info and a picture would be fantastic if someone has one the car was ran in the Midwest was hoping some of the kcta members might remember it. Thanks for any input [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast Elvis and Deuces like this.
  23. HIOSILVER

HIOSILVER
    from tennessee

any ideas on who built this chassis had it forever just about finished with the restore on it

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Do you seriously expect a chassis ID with that picture???

Roothawg likes this.
  25. HIOSILVER

HIOSILVER
    from tennessee

its all i had at the time lol DSCN2987.JPG DSCN2990.JPG

Fast Elvis and Deuces like this.
  26. HIOSILVER

HIOSILVER
    from tennessee

i know its a longshot to ID

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ok thanks for those, Front torsion adj system is unique, dont recognize it from any known builders. Body off would hold some clues if you have the chance. That era had a lot of small shop/hobby builders involved and it appears your car follows standard building practices. 'Glass body appears to be of Cal Automotive origin

HIOSILVER and Deuces like this.
  28. Gypsy Flyer

Gypsy Flyer

Mine I had 20 years ago. CM 160", Ford 9, 392 injected, Shorty Glide.

Attached Files:

Fast Elvis and CoolHand like this.
  29. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

In the mid '60's a friend and I purchased this chassis for $400 with a single axle trailer. Ran 301 CI chev with a single 4 barrel carb, AHRA had what was called "B" experimental gas dragster (maximum of 310 cu). Never very completive but had a great time with this 92" WB. Sold it a year later. In the picture you can see the next project an Anglia, all crammed in my tiny single car garage. Those were the days!! Dragster.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Fast Elvis and 30dodgeboy like this.