Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Reality Check

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Mar 25, 2020.

1. I guess this current state we are all in has (for me at least) given us a reality wake up call. So what are things really worth? Right now having possessions (other than toilet paper;)) does not seem at all important. That Pines Winterfront I have wanted, just means nothing right now. I am in my 70's and time is what is important. Missing that swap meet or show you waited for all Winter is a major loss. No friends to walk around with and look through boxes of dirty junk. It was not the junk that was important, it was the friend that made it worth while and fun.
    Yes we had it all wrong and now it is hitting me in the face as I realize what is really important. Being my age I start to wonder how many more car events and trips out West to see my grandchildren do I have. When this is over we should all appreciate the time with friends and family. When my time is over, all my stuff is worthless. Stay safe everyone and call someone you love.

2. Amen. I think we all needed somewhat of a wake up call to realize what is actually important in life. Sad that things had to come to what they have for us to get there. As much as I like playing with old cars, I did realize a while back that it was the people I met along the way that made it so enjoyable. This life is too short (and seems shorter all the time the older I get) to just strive for more crap (even if it is cool crap we can drive.) :D

Stogy, Deuces, mad mikey and 13 others like this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

If it's my time, it's my time. My only regret that I don't have my life in order for the person who will have to tidy up after me.

verde742, Stogy, Deuces and 15 others like this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As they say, "the TP roll spins faster, the closer you get to the end."
    Things are just things. Family, friends and the quality of life are what really count.

Stogy, wicarnut, Deuces and 21 others like this.

5. Amen.

Stogy, Deuces, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

My wake up call came about 50 years ago when I climbed on a slick for the last time and headed back to the rear area for a ride on the big silver bird back to the world. Just remember: What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger.

chevy57dude, Stogy, Hombre and 23 others like this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with ct1932ford. This stuff is just stuff. At 77 time is precious. Have spent the past week making sure everything is in order. There won't be unknowns now if something should happen. The ones that may have to deal with this are all up to speed.

Stogy, Deuces, slug and 10 others like this.
  8. Stogy, Deuces, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  9. Yes, he stated it correctly. Cars and parts are just stuff. Family and friends are what is really important.

Stogy, Deuces, mad mikey and 11 others like this.
  10. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Well said CT . My personal stuff is worthless to me right now as I have a Daughter in icu right now and cant visit her and probly wont for a while. She went in for a kidney inf and now tests pos for this viris and not doing well. Im on the Hamb reading old threads and such to keep mind from this deal. I hope this news inspires some of you to keep your families close and go above the guidelines recommended and hibernate for a bit.

Nostrebor, rat bastad, Stogy and 27 others like this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for your time in country. Those of us who served remember when we experienced "the second best feeling in the world" wherever and whenever we served.

Nostrebor, Stogy, Deuces and 11 others like this.
  12. As I've said before, yes, it's the cars that bring us together, but it's really about the people we meet along the road of life..........Stay safe my friends.................Don.

chevy57dude, Stogy, wicarnut and 23 others like this.
  13. Great post ct1932ford. A lot of wisdom in a few short replies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Stogy, mad mikey, ct1932ford and 6 others like this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

Amen ct1932Ford. Timely post.

Stogy, mad mikey, ct1932ford and 4 others like this.
  15. Yep, it makes you think, doesn't it?

Stogy, mad mikey, ct1932ford and 5 others like this.
  16. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Agreed, I miss the friends I've met along the way that have past more than the cars I've let go....

Stogy, ct1932ford, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  17. Mark, the cars are what brings us all together but the friends we make along the way is far more important, meeting you and many others would have never happened without the Hamb and like you so eloquently stated with social distancing we miss that interaction.

None of us know what tomorrow will bring and hopefully we won't fall victims to this horrible virus, during this lock down we can still socialize on the internet with family & friends, please stay safe, Good Lord willing we will ALL get through this pandemic. HRP

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And as it was, the virus sputtered and died
    All the people came out
    No one had to hide
    People hugging
    Lovers kissing
    Tasting the sweetness of what we had all been missing

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, slug, raven and 14 others like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

while your stuff may just be stuff my stuff is more than that or I wouldn't have bought it all. sure people are more important but that doesn't take anything away from all this junk we love. I have a buddy who has no "stuff". if his house burned to the ground the only thing he would miss would be pictures of his kids... maybe.

20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reality check = Guess what, we are older geezers on our last great charge downhill with sword drawn toward the finish line!
    ca-bilibin_koshchey-the-deathless (2).jpg
    Reality check = No matter how good or bad we as individuals have it, all you can do is keep smiling through !
    IMG_1568 (2).JPG Reality check = We are all in this together, we are fortunate that the element of old metal in the form of automobiles is the H.A.M.B. glue ! As well as the great friendships gleaned from this website!
    IMG_0328 (2).JPG I never thought I would live to be the age I am, on march 28th, I will be 67 years old, I find that to be truly amazing ! I am so fortunate that I have had some great adventures on the planet, land, sea and air. I have been retired for almost a full year now, and I am thankful for having the ability to enjoy my time doing what ever I want, I just never thought that the " safari " to find toilet paper was going to be as daunting as it is, but I digress.

I am thankful that I was born and raised in an " analog " world, and have made the strange and semi successful transition to the " digital " world. The element of the computer and the internet is about as close to the " Encyclopedia Galactica " as one can get. The realm of a smart phone and the element of instant transmission of words and pictures from such a small device, still boggles the mind !

All that being said, the speed of the earths orbit around the sun is about 66,500 MPH, so we all are hauling ass around a burning ball of hydrogen 93 million miles from us, yet the photons of light from the sun reach us in 8 minutes, free of charge mind you!

Who would have ever thought that if the sun blinked out right now, that there is only 8 minutes left to party hard till, it gets cold and dark? I am just glad that so far, the sun keeps rising daily !

So on that happy note my fellow H.A.M.B. members and friends, by all means do be safe and healthy and follow the new rules as set forth by the " new reality " we all live in now, but indeed, keep an eye towards the sky, you never know when the 8 minute clock started!
    TELECHRON.jpg
    IMG_0058 (2).JPG IMG_0066.JPG

rat bastad, Stogy, mad mikey and 14 others like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, our "stuff" connected us - but, family and friends keep us going

Wow! your friends & family here are sending all of the good support that we can

Stogy, mad mikey, raven and 12 others like this.
  22. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are so right! My Wake Up Call was 51 yrs.ago in Dec. ‘68. The Freedom Bird had only about 50 of us on that flight home. 21yrs. old, “The World Ahead Of Us.”

Nostrebor, Stogy, mad mikey and 13 others like this.
  23. You can have things as long as things they don't have you. The fun is usually in the hunt anyway. I try to keep things in perspective. Everyone is different witch is very cool too. But life is short at best. 245.jpg So for me the things that makes me happy are, 1st God, 2nd Family, 3rd friends, 4th Hot Rods, 5th Toys, 6th, ahhh there isn't a 6th. lol I say just do what makes you happy. Life is very short so I don't waste a day of it. I'm very sentimental. So my things like the, Hot Rods, Toys, old parts, etc. They are just good memories. So I guess I'm a collector of memories, and want to keep making them. Also my three favorite days of the year are Christmas, Easter, and Hershey. lol Ron........ { These guys keep me Smile'n } :)

olscrounger, Stogy, wicarnut and 17 others like this.
  24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I play in a blues band , Our basset son has tested positive. That’s close to home for me

Stogy, flatford39, town sedan and 4 others like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just lost a trucking buddy yesterday, but it wasn't to the virus, it was the big C that got him. 58 years young, Chief of his community Volunteer Fire Dept for several years, a pillar of the community he lived in. Seldom do we think of our own mortality until somebody we know passes away, especially if that person is younger is than you. I feel for all those that have lost friends and family in this time, no matter the reason. I'll be 61 next month if I make it that long, and the stuff I have collected through the years means something to me, to those that will get it after I'm gone {which I hope is a long time from now} I hope it brings them the same enjoyment it does me. Stuff can be replaced, but once those family and friends are gone, there's no replacing them.....

Stogy, mad mikey, town sedan and 7 others like this.
  26. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

All that stuff I treasure will be dumped by the better half as soon as she can when I am gone. Guess I should start selling off anything I do not have a specific plan for. Only good thing about the currant
    situation I am self isolating and spending time working in the garage.

Stogy and ct1932ford like this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No one in their right mind would disagree. That said, I'm enjoying working on my stuff. No business dealings, no wife bugging me to go shopping, no buddies dragging me to the bar. I'm getting a lot done, making the best of it.

das858, mad mikey, lucky ink and 2 others like this.
  28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thank you for your service, as a fellow vet I know the feeling well

Stogy, mad mikey, town sedan and 5 others like this.
  29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Thank You For Your Service, As Well. Seems as only yesterday, sometimes like a 100 years,

Stogy, mad mikey, town sedan and 2 others like this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought I would never make it through 8 weeks of basic let alone 2 years but in September it will be 47 years since I once again became a PFC - Proud F*ck'n Civilian.

Stogy, WB69, coupe man and 7 others like this.