Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Henry Ford hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Feb 2, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Tomorrow engine is ready. Today (friday) is nearly over here in Finland. Just drink evening coffee and enjoy on sofa.
    Still need to make some kind of velocity stacks. Maybe I use those old Jr.Fueler stacks....

Aulis

flathead-71.jpg flathead-72.jpg flathead-73.jpg flathead-74.jpg

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Sorry my english is not so good. What do You mean?
    Aulis

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@AULIZ, Dirt Car is wondering if you did a Thread or posts on making and installing the lower quarter panel on the bare metal 32 5window in pic below...

The yellow arrow is pointing to it...

20200320_151255.jpg

Credit to Photographer, Owner

chryslerfan55 and alfin32 like this.
  4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks, Now I understand. I think, I have post some rear quarterpanel pics here...?
    I must check that.
    aulis

Stogy likes this.
  5. AULIZ

AULIZ

chryslerfan55, brEad and Stogy like this.
  6. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks Stogy, appreciate the clarification, & thanks to our Finland friend it's great to see that our car hobby is without borders...the words "hot rod" share a deserving right to the universal language !

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is quite accomplished at his craft indeed...and he sure puts out premium product...not to mention pretty darn good seniority as a Hamber...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.

Today I get engine ready. Still make some carb, linkage adjustment etc.
    Last pics of this engineproject are incresed later today.

Aulis

Off topic: if somebody has good 59 -cylinderblock, Im ready to buy it. I have shipping addresses
    - Paramount CA
    - Houston TX

Also interested real flathead speed parts. I want to built one more engine 4.25stroke and big bore.
    If You have old supercharger, heads,... send me PM or Email : [email protected]
    Supercharger can be100% project, I can fix it.... Also interested 1pc Double Detent syncro tranny.

A

9. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

10. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I'll try this reply again, seems my post didn't make it, at any rate ,thanks Aulis for the direction on the 32 quarter panels, great work on those projects & nice to see the youngster following in your foot steps !.. And by the way where might I ask are the large posters from ?? are they printed on cloth or canvas ?? Thanks,Ron

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Those are printed on cloth. Pics are from old hot rod books. Those two are approx size 2meter (height) x 1.5meter.
    Big one (black and white) is 2.2meter (h) x 6meter (w). Maybe use that again some day.....

Here ready engine pics.
    Yesterday I was tight head stud nuts right torque. I didn´t like that feeling how I get right torque, so today I opened all nuts and changed washers. HH Flatheads send me Bob Drake 351020-S washers (1932-53 cylinder head washers). Those are 100% junk, shit.... too smooth material. Those are steel (magnetic), maybe Fe37shitsteel ..... or ohter chinese shit.
    I had own bearing shims 12mm x 18mm x 1mm. Not optimal size and thickness, but when thight those, feeling was good. All nuts easy get right 45lbs torque.

Today I adjust carbs ready and also fixed stromberg progressive linkage. He only need to install electric stromberg distributor, 12v alternator and wirings when engine is installed to the engine room.

aulis

flathead-75.jpg flathead-76.jpg flathead-77.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Jrs50, Runnin shine, 63fdsnr and 11 others like this.
  12. Boden

Boden

Where did you get those lifters from?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Lifters are from HH Flatheads. Mike has send me same lifters many engines.

aulis

Stogy likes this.
  14. AULIZ

AULIZ

leeroy-84.jpg Garage is cleaned after 3week engine project.
    Coupe is waiting for next step (later this year).
    Roadster need to built ready before May.

Aulis

jukka-238.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  15. Japper

Japper

16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yesterday I pieced rear axle. Only problem was drv side hub/drum. Today i heat it very much + puller.... finally I get it out. Parts are washed and ready. Tomorrow I install there new 3.25:1 ring and pinion. Earlier I have shorted driveshaft + driveshaft tube. Rear axle is from 1934 ford.

Aulis

jukka-239.jpg jukka-242.jpg View attachment 4618811 jukka-243.jpg jukka-244.jpg jukka-245.jpg
    My 5w coupe wheels are next sandblasted.
    We installed 6pc cylindersleeve to my friends Hemi engine. jukka-247.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. glad to see you posting once again, and as usual great workmanship!!!

Stogy, greaser and nunattax like this.
  18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir. Learn something new everyday.... Aulis

19. heavydumper

heavydumper

Neat projects!

Question...

Why the 3.25 ring and pinion? I'm curious what you hope to gain with such a ratio. Thank you!

Stogy likes this.
  20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello
    6.50-16 tire (rear), 3.25:1 ring and pinion is very good. I have used that RP when that kind of "not so high" rear tires. Easy to drive 100km h on highway ..... (60-65mph).

3.54:1 is ok, when use 7.50-16 tires.

Here too many are using this kind of combination: Flathead + T56 (T5) tranny , but as we know, those are not hot rods. Not even owner think so.
    Street rods can installed that kind of tranny.

Old Ford 3speed syncro tranny is very good. Easy on street, nice to shift and very good on highway too, but RP must be lower. If You have this kind of bigger engine (+hp, +torque) , low weight 1932 car.... it´s so easy to drive even have 3.25 RP.......

Aulis

21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Rear axle is rebuilt and ring & pinion changed. One new bearing only needed.
    Aulis

jukka-249.jpg jukka-250.jpg jukka-251.jpg jukka-252.jpg jukka-253.jpg jukka-254.jpg jukka-255.jpg jukka-256.jpg jukka-257.jpg

Runnin shine, bct, 63fdsnr and 4 others like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice work auliz

loudbang likes this.
  23. You make it all look easy. Nice work!

loudbang likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs
    I was fight with this rear axle very much. I do not have any pic, when I loose my mind.....:mad:, flying hammers....

backingplate bolts; 50% need to cut

Drv side hub; It not loosen. 1st time ever, I need to make special tools, taka axle and drive to my friends car repair company. They helpelped (fast warm).

pinion nuts; 1st time ever, those not open. I even broken my bigger blue Jaw vice. (china shit). I need o cut out locking washer between nuts. After that I lathe nuts straight because they damage too...

Good thing is that after +10 rear axle rebuilding have some kind of working order in my head. This axle was not easiest....
    Good things: only one bearing changed, axle tube wheel bearing inner cone surfaces are good. I have sometimes fixed those if those are badly worn. If driven w/o grease, downside where pressure is, is worn. that "neck" need to grind undersize + install needle bearing inner ring (IR -ring) on it. After that grind to right inc dimension....

Aulis

chryslerfan55, brEad and Stogy like this.
  25. Mart

Mart

Good work Auliz. When people show pictures of the job when finished it is easy to assume that everything went very easily. By explaining what did not go well you prepare people better for what they can expect when doing the job.

26. AULIZ

AULIZ

You are correct. Many times need to do same job many times, nothing fits, tools are broken,.... One good tip is that leave it like it is and continue next day..... then all goes better. Today I just put together driveshaft + small parts belong that (front bearing, speedometer sender gear,... not feel good (maybe sick) so better come in and take easy on sofa and watch from TV American pickers latest part.

Aulis

27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Bushes, spring.... installed.
    Tomorrow need to open rear spring 2-3times. Need to find right flex...
    Aulis

jukka-258.jpg jukka-259.jpg jukka-260.jpg jukka-261.jpg jukka-262.jpg jukka-263.jpg

brEad, 63fdsnr, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  28. AULIZ

AULIZ

brEad, chryslerfan55, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff Aulis...

30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks.
    Too hurry with dayjob,.... not spend very much time in garage.
    Today, Saturday, need to continue welding innerfenders etc.

on Thursday worked little time with brakes, emerg.brake cable, wishbones,....
    Need to find new bolts from own stock, because too many not opened and I cut out. Not too shiny stuff for this project.
    Aulis

jukka-267.jpg jukka-268.jpg jukka-269.jpg jukka-270.jpg

Runnin shine, brEad, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.