Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paging Pgan - Build thread for the sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boatmark, Nov 5, 2017.

1. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Rick (and others): If you go back a few pages in this thread you'll see how I used various tools (i.e., hammer and old screwdriver) to clean the original tack strip out, remove (drill out rivets) and straighten the channels, then clean the channel in the body. I asked my upholsterer how he was going to re-attach it, and he showed me some pliable plastic strip he got in rolls from his upholstery supply house. The stuff he showed me was bout 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick--maybe a little thicker. I told him that might be a little too thick (tall), not allowing the top material to sit flush with the body. We also discussed whether to use the channel and how to reinstall it (i.e., pop rivets?). So when I finally brought him the car to upholster, I brought the loose roof channel, and he said he'd install it, with new tack strip (plastic). Told me not to worry about it. So to tell the truth, I don't know exactly what he did. The top is Mercedes Haartz cloth convertible material, with a white hid-em strip around the edge to hide the tacks/staples. I have to admit it doesn't sit quite as tight to the body as I'd like, especially around the corners. I did have him run a bead of silicone all the way around, between the body channel and the tack strip channel, to make sure no water leaked in. I also asked him if the top insert was guaranteed to 100 mph, and he said "Absolutely." So we'll see.
    Don't know if this helps. Hope so.
    PG

2. 33Doll

33Doll

Hey Pat Thanks for getting back so quick! Unfortunately I was hoping we would get to see the New plastic version! My strip os pretty good still so Im gonna stabilize it with the stuff we use at work it’s for sealing roofs and ducting, it is called Sica flex, I think it will be hard yet flexible enough to hold the nails, we shall see, I want to reuse my original roof trim my Pops had chromed back in the day, and keep low like original, not like the after market kits.
    Thanks Rick Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_7952.JPG

3. 33Doll

33Doll

4. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

How about a quickie '33 Fordor update? Got the front fenders cut, buffed, undercoated, and bolted in place. no486.JPG no487.JPG Getting the fenders, side splash aprons, front splash apron, and that little chin piece all lined up is a bit of a monkey puzzle. no488.JPG
    no489.JPG Nope, frame's not shiny, but the side splash aprons are. And all the braces are in place.
    no492.JPG Getting the grille to fit with all those other pieces, and then try to line up bolt holes, takes a lot of trial and error, patience, and some ingenuity (aka cheating).
    no494.JPG The classic grille shot. Oops, I see one bar that needs a little straightening. This grille had been heavily worked on in the past. It's still not as good as it looks. But Bob Barnes at Verne's Plating (now happily retired, like me) made it look a whole lot better than it was.
    no491.JPG There are more bolt holes to align yet. But I just like this photo. More news when it happens.
    PG

Dave Mc, Gotgas, 36 ROKIT and 26 others like this.
  5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

You're going to paint the condenser & the front of the radiator black , before you bolt the grill in for the last time , Right ?

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Good thread. Going to be a really nice car (no surprise there).

7. Rckt98

Rckt98

Really enjoying this build thread Pat, looking good.
    Russell (NZ).

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Pete, don't worry, they are black. Don't know why they look otherwise in the photo. If they werent't black to start, Bill painted them.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Gasser 57 like this.
  9. I'm late to the party Pat but I had to say the pickguard material you selected for the gauge surround was a masterstroke. Really nice looking.

10. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

This is probably the penultimate report on the '33 Fordor build. (That means second-to-last.) Being stuck at home thankfully gives me garage time, but it's not much different than being retired, to tell the truth. But getting last details done takes way more time than you expect, such as wiring the lights (low beam, high beam, brake lights, turn signals).
    But I took Anna for her first ride in it yesterday (around the block). Then I went to get gas today, and am happy to report that everything works very well. So here's a look:
    no499.JPG
    no501.JPG
    no502.JPG
    no495.JPG
    I'm very glad I chromed the tailpipes. The gas tank is Porsche silver, other chassis parts are hammertone silver or gray. I'm also happy to report that the little 305, with its E-brock cam, carb, and intake, scoots (and sounds) way better than I expected. Trans, brakes, steering, suspension all work great--Bill did an excellent job on all that. As for the exterior, it still needs one more hand-rub and then its first wax job. Only thing left to do is paint and install the hood, which thankfully is quite straight. I do like black lacquer. And I have to say, I do like this car a lot...for a four door. Stay home and healthy. See you when we're finally released.

Nominal, J.Ukrop, Smiffy and 44 others like this.
  11. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Damn!!!!

That’s got the look too tall!!!!

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Beautiful. Thanks for taking us along on the build and thanks for educating me as to penultimate meaning.

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks killer!

14. primed34

primed34

Good looking sedan.

15. alchemy

alchemy

That's a gorgeous car! Sits sooo right and has attitude without resorting to overdone mods.

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Sure has turned out nice. Great looking hot rod cruiser! I can see a lot of miles in it's future.

17. loudbang

loudbang

Came out REAL nice looking you still have "The Touch". :)

jim snow and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. Boatmark

Boatmark

Pat, there should not be any "for a four door" qualifier attached to this car. It came out beautiful, and very very cool.
    To me the biggest home run in this build is that the car is timeless. From the stance, to the deep black paint, to the interior choices - it will be bad-ass today, tomorrow, and long into the future. Very few get the entire theme right. You did in spades.
    I hope this isn't truly the penultimate update on the sedan. Being this is the ROADEE, I hoped we'd continue to get the occasional update on the roads its taken, and the places its seen. Maybe the occasional glimpse into Pat & Anna's Excellent Hot Rod Retirement Adventures.

19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I remember reading a story you wrote in the Rodder's Journal about you and Bill. In it you made mention that you where not sure if Bill would be as interested in building cars as much as you where. I guess the apple did not fall far from the tree. You both do great work. Thanks for letting us follow along. Now you an Anna go put a million miles on that thing! Larry

20. killbilly

killbilly

Pat...what does a dyslexic ,agnostic insomniac do......he lies awake at night and wonders if there really is a Dog....sorry...BTW beautful job!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  21. Looks perfect Pat!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Stance...perfect.

50Fraud likes this.
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty good. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

loudbang likes this.
  24. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

You know the Ganahl garage motto (A job isn't worth doing, unless it's worth doing twice.). Well the last part in the '33 Fordor build was the stock 4-piece hood. I left it to last because it looked pretty straight and fit well when the car was in primer. I thought this was going to be a simple scuff-and-squirt. Ha! It took three weeks of garage incarceration hammer-and-dollying, slapping, sanding, Bondoing, sanding, blocking, primering, blocking, etc., etc. I painted it and blocked it with 1000 grit three times before it was finally ready to rub out and wax. Looked pretty good. So with Anna's help, we got it installed and aligned on the car late last week. The notorious '33 latches even worked fine. But wouldn't you know, as soon as I cinched it down in place with the latches, a new ripple appeared in one of the hood tops. Only the people who matter will notice. So screw it. I spent the weekend hand-rubbing the rest of the car with 3M compund, then the 3M "magic glaze," and then finally waxing it for the first time. Then I took it for a test drive up to the top of our hill, and took some pictures to show you guys. So this is the ultimate report on the '33 Fordor build. Not as in great or best, but as in last. no516.JPG
    no519.JPG
    no513.JPG
    no510.JPG
    I showed under the back last time, so here's a look under the front before it gets all dirty. Refer back to earlier installments if you want to know what any of that stuff is. Original '33 frame; Pete & Jake's/Superbell parts; South City R&C fabrication; spray can paint and undercoat. Minimal chrome. Built to drive.
    no518.JPG

no520.JPG So that's it. Hope you enjoyed following along. Maybe you picked up a tip or two. It sits low but as you can see it's all tucked up pretty tight for ground clearance. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. More important, Anna really likes it. Next time you see it will be somewhere out on the highway. Say hi.

Cheers, Pat G.

Nominal, J.Ukrop, 36 ROKIT and 44 others like this.
  25. 33Doll

33Doll

Beautiful!
    Mine will look like a hoopty compared to yours though.
    Seriously... its really nice for mostly home built!
    Drive It Baby!!!

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I cringe a little when using the term "elegant" around hot rods, but this car really deserves it. It's dignified, tasteful, understated. The stance and color scheme are perfect. I guess "exactly right" is accurate, and easier to swallow than "elegant". Great job.

27. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Great job Pat, it turned out really nice!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  28. Nailed it!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. Allmotor

Allmotor

Nicely done

loudbang likes this.
  30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

As Ole Dad would say, Reet!