Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Social distancing & seemly endless rain = cabin fever

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 24, 2020.

1. This morning I decided to do something that I had control over despite all the doom & gloom of the corona virus pandemic that has practically brought our world to a halt.

With no particular destination I fired up the old beater, as I pulled out of the garage I could hear the rain tapping on the soft top and the tempo increased as I pulled out into the street.

The old car seemed to run better today than it did a couple of weeks ago and I really didn't mind the steady rhythm of the rain as the single wiper made the gentle slap as it hit the edge of the windshield frame, I actually enjoyed it, I eased up beside a State Trooper at what is normally a busy intersection any time of the day but he and I were the only two waiting on the light to change, he looked like a kid as he looked over and gave me a thumbs up, I waved back the light changed and I drove on.

Traffic seemed light as I drove through town and noticed just how many businesses were closed, I don't know how many of you guys live in the same town you were born & raised in but it kind of eerie to ride down streets and there is no traffic, almost feels like a Sunday morning when I was small.

I drove around aimlessly for a hour or so and as I drive past Ingle's (grocery store) I realized they had almost as many cars in the parking lot than I had seen around town.

It's ironic that the Schools,University and many local businesses are closed but the two day cares that I passes were open.

If you have been hunkered down and going stir crazy I can highly recommend going for a ride in your hot rod or custom, it will recharge your battery and put a grin on your face! HRP

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Good advice, Danny. A Hot-Rod ride is always therapeutic. Stay healthy my friend.........Don.

dan31, alanp561, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Driving around in my daily, it seemed like one of those end of the world after a nuclear war films. The streets were empty, the parking ramps in downtown Minneapolis were empty, the store parking lots were empty. It was eerie. Strange days indeed.

4. Right you are Danny. I hope to take the coupe out for a rip soon. Fired her up the other day just to hear her . Oh yea and check a few things.;)

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its been raining quite a bit in Kentucky but the next few days are looking warm and sunny. Charged the battery in my 60 Pontiac and plan to do a little cruising the next couple of days.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I think I will get the convertible out and drive it for awhile tomorrow. It needs to be driven. Everyone stay healthy in all this mess that we have now

7. Thanks, Danny. And others. I did just that. Two hours, 70 or 80 miles, in Texas back country. May have to do it again tomorrow to see what I missed.

Ben

8. I did the same here Danny. But no rain today. I like to take the Rods out for a little cruise. I need to keep their batteries charged. I don't stop anywhere except for a little splash of fresh gas at the pump. A ride in the Hot Rod will always lift your spirits. A wave from a kid, or a thumbs up is always fun too. I've live in the same small town my whole life also. There's never much traffic here. Stay safe everyone. Ron........

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Lil32, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  9. wvenfield

wvenfield

I can't concentrate on that many words without pictures............;)

10. My wife went to town an hour ago to scavenge for toilet paper and a few other staples. She called a minute ago with the latest. Our city of 70k-and-growing-fast has just announced that all walk-in storefronts city-wide are shutting down at midnight tonight. Only businesses that can offer curbside pickup will be functioning for the duration. Gas stations will be operating and perhaps others that are also "socially distant" types.
    This is a gut punch for a resort area such as we have here. Our guests are going to have to drink their party beverages from paper bags as they cruise the too quiet streets. :rolleyes:

Alrighty! Major Edit Alert!
    It seems the Famous Flying Finger of Fantasy may have passed over my house. The above paragraphs have fallen under suspicion. My "sources" have turned out to be unofficial. I've also heard that the police are suspending stops for traffic violations so maybe a shakedown run in something that's a little shy on paperwork could happen.
    Liquor was one of the staples folks stocked up on to hunker down. Speaking of hunkering, I'm also confident the birth rate will see an uptick by the end of the year.
    Stay tuned for further developments. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Lil32, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

HRP you had rain, we had snow. Rhinebeck swap meet and car show was cancelled, and a lot of restaurants are closed to dining in. Only take out, curbside pick-up or delivery. I have been cleaning up in the shop and catching up on my wood working.

Pat

12. Sorry man, I never thought of grabbing the camera on the way out but to me totally honest there was nothing that could be considered interesting or photogenic that would enhance the thread. HRP

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm lucky. Cabin fever isn't too bad here on the farm. Judy, me, dogs, cats, a chicken, horses, deer. No neighbors for hundreds of yards. Plenty to do.

Nothing cool to drive right now.
    I'll watch you guys.
    I wonder if I can get my Chrysler running and going down the road before...
    well...
    ... I wonder if I can get my Chrysler going.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. 9EBF04E9-93AE-4AC7-A085-EDDE7C6B723E.jpeg CF48D637-2A98-44D9-BFCE-408E0ABFE95B.jpeg CC4DA9F7-3449-49C8-9245-DEEA1F7CD914.jpeg Well cabin fever usually has 3 stages,,and it starts in a pleasant way,,,with Lloyd the bartender .
    First phase ,,,
    What a friendly welcoming face,,,makes you feel all happy inside !
    A friend making you feel really needed !

Second phase,,,,
    Pure terror,,,,out of control rampage !
    Better steer clear,,,,can’t be held responsible for the damage that comes next !

Third phase,,,
    Well,,,,we all know how it turns out !!!

Be careful out there,,,and in the isolation area as well .

Tommy

R A Wrench, 3W JOHN, das858 and 3 others like this.
  15. Yes its wet and rainy here. Even the 11 point River is flooding. It stopped raining for a Bit and the grandsons went out in the gloomy day and still played something called jumping in muddy puddles. I blame Preppa Pig.

16. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Speaking of rain, we've had over 7 inches in the last week and a half. A little sun would be great.

17. jim snow

jim snow

I’m with you Danny. Rain should clear the coast overnight. Hot rodding tmarra! Snowman

3W JOHN, OLSKOOL57, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  18. Here's some pictures for ya. 470.jpg 193.jpg 20171013_142626.jpg 20171125_165440.jpg Just not today.

19. Great pics Ron,,,Virginia is a beautiful place,,,you should be proud to live there !
    Also,,,great pic of the little one,,,you should be proud of that pic as well .
    Is it your baby,,,or Grandbaby ,,,?
    I know,,,grandbaby is a southern thing,,,,LoL.

Tommy

20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

" . . . end of the world after a nuclear war films."

For you old guys out there – do you remember the film "On the Beach"?

When the submarine got to San Francisco and the streets were bare – who had cleaned up all the dead bodies and towed away the cars?

21. Hombre

Hombre

Thanks for this post Danny, I am sure it keeps a lot of guys spirits up. Just the thought of doing something is a good thing. I took the Model A out today, been doing that a few times in the past few days. I live in the County and not inside a city limits, so when I leave my drive way I have to decide to go right ( path to town) or left ( further out in the country). I almost always go left. The traffic here in the past few weeks seems to have gotten worse. Turns out the one of the two highways ( really country highways) is going to be closed for over a year due to the bad weather and the fact that 50 yards of the highway slid down the mountain. These two highways are the main ways for folks to get to Huntsville, and since Huntsville is really growing we also, even though we are 45 miles away, are feeling there growing pains.

Today I went right and drove into town, man I will never ever complain about the little traffic ( In reality) that we have to deal with. Alabama does not have a shelter in place order yet. But it was sad, no cars to speak of, all the stores closed, all the fast food places empty. Very few people out at all and the few I did see were at the grocery store's.

These are sad times guy's, sad and dangerous times as well. I'm keeping all you guys and girls in my thoughts. Please stay safe, do not let this isolation get you down, it will get better.

22. Hombre

Hombre

Yea I barely remember that movie, wasn't there a coke bottle and a window shade that made an important scene?

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I just said fuck it and did another test run of about 20 miles in the It L Do. image.jpg

24. Hell I moved my 57 around in the driveway today, shuffling cars around, and i might as well been driving down the coast of California!!! I can't wait to get on the road and open it up! Gets your blood pumping at a time when everything else is holding you back

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I go for a drive every day. I don't have to talk to anyone. I don't have to stop anyplace. (except for gas) I take a snack or a lunch and enjoy it in my car.
    Maybe some time this week I'll hit PCH and Hwy 1 and cruise the coast for a few hours...Go through Malibu to piss off the mayor...

26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

How are you protecting the bare metal?

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6 new purchase contracts this week! 30 years of mortgage banking (essential business) and rarely have I seen low rates coupled with motivated sellers. A perfect storm for my home buyers. Not everything grinds to a halt.

I called the muffler shop to make sure they were open before dropping off my truck. They too are essential and thankful for my business this week. Air fist bumps only.

Also dropped my wife's car off at MAACO to have a dent removed from her jeep. Gotta keep my peeps employed.

Be careful out there, I don't want any of my HAMB buddies taking ill. This will pass. BB

28. 3340

Good advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. Rckt98

Rckt98

New Zealand is shutting down for 4 weeks from midnight tonight.
    Only supermarkets, pharmacies, petrol stations and a few essential business's can be open.
    Have got a couple of small jobs to do on the coupe and some painting inside but I fear it is going to be a looooong 4 weeks.
    Look after yourselves.
    Russell.

chryslerfan55, Lil32, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I had no problem spending the rainy day in the shop. Same as yesterday, and the day before, and tomorrow...