Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ID sbc water pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Any of you guys able to ID this water pump by application? All of the water pumps I’m finding in my local stores are slightly different here and there and I don’t want to have to re-engineer all my pulley alignment.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 47ragtop

47ragtop

.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]
    The early long water pumps up till 75?? are different from 76 and later. The PS pumps and pulley alainments are different. Take your pump to the store and pull a pre 75 and post 76 pumps and see if one is correct. Later Bill

3. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

What is.the measurement from the table to the face of the pulley flange?

lothiandon1940 and studebaker46 like this.
  4. Reference........... Water pump.jpg

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Don't be surprised when you get your new pump home and the hub height doesn't perfectly match your old one. Almost every cheapo overseas pump Iv'e bought in the last few years had the hub installed incorrectly. I usually have to pull the back cover off and press the hub down more, some were off by 3/16" . I'm pretty anal about belt alignment , sucks tossing belts at rpm:mad:

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. its a long pump. that's not the question
    see the little tab on the under side of the snout? thought that might be an ID. also the raised boss on the drivers side is threaded. every aftermarket unit i've seen is open.

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

The pump you pictured is an aftermarket aluminum unit. I have seen these with the threaded boss on the bottom , it is generally used to preload the timing cover for use with roller camshafts.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Heavy duty Corvette. Other water pumps have a 5/8" shaft. this one is a bit bigger.

9. squirrel

squirrel

This is a long pump, it's the later style (after 76). The mounting point for the power steering pump are different than the early one (it's a threaded hole, not a through hole).

Corvettes all used short pumps, not long pumps. You can easily tell it's a long pump without measuring, by noting the two mounting bosses for the alternator bracket on the pass side. Short pumps never had those.

But that extra boss on the bottom center...I don't know what that's for, or when it was used.

47ragtop likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of needing a long pump with the correct rotation it is going to come down to the do you need that tab/ hole in that spot and does it need to be a through hole or a threaded hole. Meaning that visually you need to make sure that the replacement has the correct bosses and holes in the correct spots for your brackets that bolt to them and the ones you won't use aren't an issue as long as they aren't in the way of something.

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

There are two “short” pumps. Corvettes got a different one from the usual. Different shaft diameter, and slightly shorter.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Your post jogged my memory. You are 100% correct. that is a post 76 water pump because the boss on the drivers side for the PS pimp is threaded not smooth bore like the earlier pre 76 water pumps used . The PS pumps are water pump specific and will cause pulley misalignment. Later Bill

13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER