Register now to get rid of these ads!

So, Now What?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

AMEN

Baumi, mad mikey, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  2. If it's true or not those type of people (I use that term VERY loosely) are really out there in society. I may be a loner hermit, but I'm not batshit crazy either.

Still at work full time until the end or someone gets us sick.

3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wife and I are retired and live alone outside a village of 1100...isolation’s 2nd nature.

I work wood. My shop is 8 paces thru the mudroom from the living room. Can’t get away from it, and don’t want to.

Over my years, a very minor sideline has been to make Mahogany Urns, to hold the ashes of my loved ones, as the need has arisen. I started last week, as we were asked to voluntarily shelter, to make one for my M.I.L., who passed away in December.

Then I thought, wait a minute, I’ve got plenty of time, I’ll just make one for all my family of my generation. You may think it morbid, but as I’m working with my hands, I’m reliving every happy moment I shared with every one of these folks.

Plus I call them frequently. Works for me.
    Take care,
    Art

p.s. Still too damn chilly to work out in the BNGR Barn, but that’s next!

cfmvw, Hamtown Al, raven and 13 others like this.
  4. agree with everything posted.....a few thoughts, moving forward........One gets the sense, looking around , listening and watching, that a big chunk of the population is anticipating( and hoping)for a relatively quick resolution to this deal. Indeed it's in our nature to want that, we're ingrained with a can-do attitude,that makes us feel that if we roll up our sleeves and get after it, we're gonna be ok. I, like everyone else , hope this is the case. We cannot however,allow ourselves to be lulled into thinking this is gonna be a short-term ordeal. I think , in general the initial reactive response, has been as good as we can /could hope, But I do fear the heavy lifting is still ahead of us. Everybody stay safe,do what's right and take care of each other,if and when you can.

cfmvw, impala4speed, mnjeff and 10 others like this.
  5. I believe the wife and I will have/get to work through this mess, I know lots of people who won’t have the opportunity to keep working. I’m sure some won’t have a company to go back to in the end. They are the ones am really worried about. The financial disaster WILL affect most everyone, the virus, not as many ( hopefully). Good luck, be safe! Thanks to all the medical, police, fire people and Lloyd:D

6. John B

John B

Have they closed down restaurants in Minnesota yet? If they do how will @Moriarity survive?

BJR, Sancho, Nostrebor and 8 others like this.
  7. You're so sweet ;) This hero work ain't easy buddy :p
    Screenshot_20200323-142348_Gallery.jpg

mad mikey, Deuces, nochop and 6 others like this.
  8. Get a hair cut hippy

Deuces, nochop, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

We love an work on cars!
    That also means we save things one way or another. It also is many skill sets,not all the same,along with many interest an strong curiosity.
    So I think more then many other groupes,were kind of better at keeping bizzy with out mixing with others a lot.
    Our other hobbies,that are kind of a connected part of our car nut thing,are often amazing also, OT any other time,but right now those things others do also,could be a fun fill in,now that we are"IN".

I start;
    Playing with cars was in part do too playing with, pedal bikes an toy trains in the 1940s.
    An the bike thing many many years later,in mid 80 lead to going to Indy 500 race track with a home designed an built streamliner pedal bike ,too try for world land speed record by human power an the DuPont Prize{$10,000 for winning} but nope I didn't win,but out of 84 bikes an riders from all over the world. We were the 7th fastest in the world ! "Team Strange" 93c7re2.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  10. Michigan’s stay at home order starts at midnight tonight. It won’t change my routine much. My wife says our pantry is good for a few more weeks. We’ll get through this too.

I live in Muskegon County and we had our first positive case announced today.

Be safe.

Deuces, OLSKOOL57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. I'm still working since I'm considered an essential employee. But those who can work from home are, the place has thinned out quite a bit. Things are slow, if it gets slower during the week, I'll take off next week. I retire in 5 weeks. Been hanging with the GF, we were both sick the past few weeks, I had an upper respiratory thing, saw the doctor and was screened for CV, she said I likely did not have it. I'm a lot better now.

I don't see many people at work and we do keep our distance. Most meetings ate skype or canceled. I stay out of the stores as much as possible. I'm 65 and have mild asthma and heart disease. I do the inhaler and take my medications plus zinc and vitamin C. My one son works an odd shift, the other has been at his GFs for a couple of weeks now. I drive the Ford and it is nice with less cars on the road.

I've been keeping busy with keeping the house clean, putting things away (no TP and food of course...), catching up on chores I have been putting off. Spending quality time with my 2 cats.

mad mikey, Deuces, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well here in the center of CT it is snowing. Was going to meet a friend, get something from the drive thru, park the cars and talk on our phones to each other while in our cars, nothing wrong with that. He works retail hardware store, sure don't want to be closer than six feet to him!. I don't think there is a problem with a bunch of cars going somewhere, just if you get out of the cars maintain the 6 foot space. The 6 foot space is paramount.

13. town sedan

town sedan

Starting tomorrow most of the Kansas City metro is under a 30 day shelter in place order. I don't disagree with that. I believe we should shut down the entire country from sea to shining sea, or else we'll be playing virus whack a mole for the foreseeable future. With that said it still hurts...

As of 12:30 this afternoon I'm unemployed. So much for 11 years on the job. Being called back doesn't sound too promising either. At almost 59 years of age and with legs that don't always like to play I'm concerned. I've got a little cash in the bank, but not enough to last to 62. Better stop now before I get political.
    -Dave

14. Dave...you’re in my prayers....these are the situations that tear me up...

mnjeff, Deuces, jmkporsche and 5 others like this.
  15. First thing that happened was I got furloughed at work [part time] until "Further notice". Like a lotta other guys, I've been going through everything in my garage and my workshop. I get to use the dumpster at work and the one at a storage facility where I rent a unit. Holy crap! How could I have so much unused/unneeded stuff? I got it all done except for going through my tool boxes..
    After that I'll clean the floor and walls. Then I have last fall's leaves to rake outside.

54delray, Tman, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, I can and do cook in my shop, just not the kitchen... Last friday they Furloughed almost everyone at work. There were 300 or so employees and there are 15 left. I am one of the lucky ones still working, for now

54delray, Sancho, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Maybe lucky. Maybe not.
    I just found out my part time job is considered essential so I’ll be working too. Mix feelings on this idea.

chryslerfan55 and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

[QUOTE="Rocky, post: 13498218,
    After that I'll clean the floor and walls. Then I have last fall's leaves to rake outside.[/QUOTE]

I got back to the leaf raking last week, I now have 24 garbage cans full, I have no idea how I amassed such a collection. :confused:

Bob

chryslerfan55, Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Started to work from home last week due to one of our people calling in with flu like symptoms so they shut down the office. They had it cleaned and doesn’t look like the guy had corona. Chose to keep working from home for now, plus not having to commute I gain some extra garage time.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. We live on a farm outside of town, so self-isolating just sort of naturally occurs. Not much different there. Had to move the youngest daughter out of her college dorm room last week. So both girls are home from college, doing on-line coursework until at least the end of the school year. The wife is working from home now. Had to clear out the spare room to turn it into office space for everyone. I am considered essential personnel at work. I work for TSA at the airport. We are on reduced work schedules for now, working 4 day weeks. Federal government authorized us to wear personal protective equipment (i.e. surgical masks), but thus far they been unable to provide them for us. Go figure. We’re expendable. Can’t pay us during a shutdown. Can’t protect us during a pandemic.

21. I’m with Mark ,
    I work in Automotive,,,we produce parts for all the big guys .
    Last Friday,,,they basically cut our plant down 85 % ,,,,that is a lot of jobs gone for several weeks,,maybe longer .
    In July I will be there 25 years,,,if it’s still there .
    In my department today there was 9 people,,,that is with two shifts combined into one,,,that included two bosses .
    They say that this week will be it for all of us .

All of the toolmakers are still there,,,,,and to be fair,,,you have got to have them.
    They are talking like the first week of April or so and it will start to come back .
    General Motors is about 65 % of our business,,,with many others,,,but they are the bulk of it . GM Mexico is all that we are making right now,,,for a few days .
    So,,,when GM goes back ,,we will .

Yeah,,,last year,,,,the strike almost wiped us out too .

And we have a lot of new work about to come on for Chrysler ,,,,and an air bag company as well .
    But,,,the funny thing is,,,,all of these new dies are built in one place,,,,want to guess where that is ?
    Oh,,,,and they are built there because that is where the customer says to build them !
    We had several engineers that just got back About 6 weeks before all this started,,,,and the tools arrived okay a few weeks ago .
    Oh well,,,,,maybe it will work out .

Tommy

PS,,,I did see some strange news last night .
    There is a new study that says a lot of young people are getting this,,,,,,yeah,,,the age group is 20 - 54,,,.
    I was laughing after that,,,,come on 54 is not young,,it’s not even middle age anymore,,,,get real . I don’t want to see anyone get sick,,,,but,,,54 should not be grouped with young adults !
    I don’t trust anything the media is saying right now .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just signed a Virus litigation waver in order to go to work..
    Oh my...never even thought all the dickheads blaming their companies for not taking proper care of them. Even after providing the proper instruction and equipment to keep themselves safe. Yes I know it goes both ways.

23. That’s MISTER Dickhead to you. If I’m a dickhead for expecting the government to protect their frontline employees, after requiring them to stand in harm’s way, then so be it.

impala4speed, BJR, raven and 5 others like this.
  24. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Well who the hell would have thought those 80 day submarine patrols in the '60s would have been good training for social isolaton or whatever they call it. I am 77, two lungs full of asbestos, so prime candidate. I stay at home, drug store and bank have drive up windows, kids get me food and put it on the porch. And I had spring training for this. Broke my hip in a fall last October and was housebound. Then lost my wife in January after 54 years of marriage so I grounded myself for awhile and of course then came the Wuhan Flu. SO I will work on my lawn as weather inproves, snowing here right now expecting 3-6", work on my '40 to whittle down my "oughr to do" list, and I have started rereading the bible from the beginning again. Wishing the best for any HAMBers that have lost their employment or, worse yet, have family affected by the scourge. Son is volunteer fireman (Lt on local force) and EMR responder and son-in-law is Air Guard which probably will get deployed. Lots to worry about for everyone.

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's not a single thing in my shop that anybody really needs. I'm not open to the public so I guess I can "work" but it's not easy to begin with for the same reason. Who needs a 57 Clipper or 33 Ford? Nobody. Time like this can put a real damper on this life. The bad thing is they closed Mrs Highlander's salon by exec order. We're no different than others except that we're both self-employed, and my boss is a real dick (!). Keep going is the order of the day til the clients tell me to fuck off. I hope they don't. I hope all of our HAMB brothers and sisters stay safe and get through this.

On a funny note I saw a meme that I could relate to. "I spent the majority of my childhood grounded. This quarantine ain't shit!"

Peace...

raven, Baumi, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  26. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

We've been ' locked down' tonight. Only reasons to leave home is for food, medicine, one walk a day, or work if you cant work from home. All shops selling non essential goods closed, all social events stopped, weddings etc.
    Our government is offering big financial support tho, with mortgages, rent, business rates (tax) sick pay, staff pay for companies that have to shut fo te period. Not sure where they're finding the money, but hopefully it will help a lot of people keep their houses, jobs and businesses. Stay well all, and stay inside.

rod1, chryslerfan55, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  27. Lol,,,,don’t worry Mister,,,the Gov ment always looks out fo their employees.
    Just ask olcurmdgeon,,,,,and any of the other men that served our great country.
    If anyone expects that,,,they just don’t know how it all works .

Oh yeah,,,,Thank you to any and all of our service members,,,past and present !
    This is still the best country there is,,,just ask any of the ones that are always trying to get in !

Tommy

raven, J_J2, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes I understand your point and agree to a point. But everyone working has a choice of going in public or working.
    Hard choice. Yes. But it’s a choice.
    When you see the odds of 40-60% of the US population getting the virus in one year the odds are against us all.
    The above statement was mentioned yesterday by the Ohio department of Heath Director yesterday.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  29. Yeah well, when you call for help and that phone just keeps ringing because all of the first responders and doctors decided to stay home...don’t bitch.