Register now to get rid of these ads!

P15-D24 to 95-2001 Explorer Disk conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yourpc48, May 27, 2012.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Most of the stud installs were to better accommodate custom wheels, few of which can be used with wheel bolts. However, I do have two Mopars, a ‘49 Plymouth and a ‘55 Chrysler, on which I am installing front disc brakes. I am doing mine with parts I am making. I am using Ranger 4x4 11” rotors and GM single piston calipers. My caliper brackets look the same as those pictured in this thread for the same reason.....that is what it takes.

There is nothing wrong with buying a quality bracket kit. By the same token, nothing wrong with making one’s own parts.......a lot of work, but satisfying in the accomplishment.

Ray

Budget36, X-cpe and RMR&C like this.
  2. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

i am going to start with the metal template then see how much i can get them cut for

3. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

I didnt want to start a new thread, there are already a ton on this issue. Ok i decided to try this conversion out however i have a D-24 48 Plymouth. yes the spinals are taller so i had to re design yourpc48 templete. he did advise you may if you have the other type car. here is the progress. I made the bracket and the spacers to match. Now to get them cut out of the steel. Will keep updating. When i learn how i will post the PDF of the two templates.

Added: i did have to have the hubs machined down a CH along with the ridge on the hub face.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    AndersF and Hnstray like this.
  4. gatz

gatz

Ed,
    A few years ago, I made the brackets and modified the hubs on my '40 Chrysler to adapt Explorer rotors and calipers. I changed how the steering arms mount to the spindles to get a faster turn; was going to use a R&P from a Cavalier CTO. The plan didn't work out for me, as the stock front suspension was in bad shape and I ended up taking another route.
    Those are for sale. I can send pix of what was done. PM me if you're interested.

5. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

spent alot of time designing these they are getting cut today

6. gatz

gatz

Understand completely.

7. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

Still have not been able to down load template. But i did learn that if you have a template and want it plamsa cut you will need to make another templete 1/4" smaller. The plasma cutter will be able to drag along the new templete and come out the right size. Here is the bracket made and spacer welded up. bracket w spacer.jpg bracket w spacer.jpg

Hnstray and AndersF like this.
  8. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

To add new brake lines? The ones on my car were already changes to AN3mm stainless lines. After some measuring i was able to get AN banjos and a new 16" Stainless lines with a 90 built-in. With the air bags i got longer for the FULL travel even though it will never get that far. Looks pretty clean.

Attached Files:

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI, Hnstray and AndersF like this.
  9. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

For those who would like template. The inner line is a smaller template if you are going to cut with a plasma, you can drag the tip next to the template and you will be right on. Use a drill press for the holes but most should know that.

Attached Files:

10. Gonna try this on my 54 belvedere now so glad I found this thread. Have a whole 98 explorer at my disposal

11. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

Edward,
    I just saw your photos and noticed you have air bags under your front end. Could you share information on what you used ?

Thanks,
    Ron

12. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

These were installed when i got the car. But they are on all four corners. Very nice addition.

SlowparLowparMopar likes this.
  13. So what's the chances of being able to use my stock wheels with a spacer with this brake setup. My wheels did not clear on the rear so I know the front will be even worse. Template and steel at buddies and he's cutting it with his cnc machine. I was really hoping to use my stock wheels and caps. My car is lowered quite a bit and I'm not raising it back up. Are options limited here

14. Edward Garcia

Edward Garcia

I am using a 1/4 spacer and had NO issues. I did replace bolts w studs.

15. RickPerry 1971

RickPerry 1971

Does anyone have a copy of the PDF for the caliper brackets?

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Just opened the PDF in post #99 and it worked (in firefox). You should be able to do the same.
    I would suggest that you check the sizing by measuring the hole spacing and your parts before cutting steel.
    If you can't do the rest, maybe support the people that designed these parts by purchasing, hopefully from an alliance vendor.

Budget36 likes this.
  17. usmc72

usmc72

18. 35desoto

35desoto

The link doesnt appear to work
    Could yopu recheck it please?

19. brading

brading

Do not think you will have a lot of luck as yourpc48 has not been on here since 2017.