Register now to get rid of these ads!

plexiglass display hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, May 24, 2007.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Pontiac did build a clear plastic Pontiac in 1939 for the New York World's Fair. It was later updated with 1940 body panels, and as far as I know it's in a private collection someplace. I can't find any online photos of it at the moment.

2. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

Here is 50 olds (I think) with a showroom hood that is seen around Southeastern Wisconsin a lot. I shot these at the NSRA event in Milwaukee last summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks to me to be an Olds motor under there.

B:DB

3. I don't know if Ford of Canada ever had any 54 glass hoods. They were sent to US dealers to showcase the new overhead V-8, but Canadian Fords in 54 still had flatheads. The early V-8 club is 32-53 , but we can join with our 54 fords, still ran a flattie. Pat.

4. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Ok, I have to say a few words about IT! was the hood on the 42-48 ford "Ugh" Kustom in Grease, a factory display hood, or a one off for the move?????.........Roach.

5. Probably a one-off, like the car, fortunately.

The '40 Pontiac does exist, it was in a magazine a while back. Starting to get some cracks around the edges of the fenders, so it doesn't see daylight very often.

I suspect the reason for using just the small windows in the metal hood is it's more durable and less prone to cracking or damage - even without the springs, just from someone accidentally slamming the hood shut.

6. This car is super nice. Lives somewhere in the southwest Missouri area, I think.

Attached Files:

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I know of a guy who has a '63 Impala droptop that has an all glass hood & trunk...Its an amazing show piece that also gets driven...I got pics somewhere i will try to dig up.

Deuces likes this.
  8. Here is a pic of the 1949 oldsmobile glass hood. Still can't find out what it might be worth. It is like new. No scratches on glass. Has not been cleaned up from 60 years of storage in its original box. When the paper was peeled back from the glass it left glue lines which look like scratches but it's just old glue.

[​IMG]

9. Chuck 'er on eBay, you'll find out quick then...

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I bid on the last one on Ebay and it got to $700 and didn't meet reserve. The seller wanted $1000 and still has it as far as I know. It was totally clear though instead of just the two portholes. I'd guess this would be worth similar money. I've paid around $700 for the 1954 Ford hoods I've had.

11. belair

belair

A really cool thread. Those demo hoods always intrigued me. Saw one at a little car show in Center Point a few years ago on a green 54(?) ford wagon, owned by some Mexican guy. Didn't the Flintstone car have clear floors?

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

bob, i met the guy taht owns taht olds at a lowrider show ..

HE FUCKING RULES

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Check it out ...

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. guiseart

guiseart

Mom!!!! Scoob's Always Getting The Best Toys!!!!

15. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

look up the old ferrari plexiglass hood scoops. All one sees under a beautiful teardrop plexiglass scoop is a bunch of weber carb stacks. GORGEOUS!

16. We're really surprised that Google and Yahoo have nothing when we type in showroom hood or visible hood in the Search bar but we are finding out a lot from forums, especially this one. Here is an interesting fact emailed to us by an Oldsmobile Club expert, Franklin Graf:
    First of all, if the hood is metal, it's a 1950 not a 1949 --in 49
    the factory made complete plastic hoods. But in 1950 they put plastic windows in metal hoods to see the New Rocket Engine 303.7 cu. in over head valve engine...I have a 1949 plastic hood -- they were just show room items.. it just lifted off...in 1950 the hood had windows and you were able to open and close the hood.

17. kim0965

kim0965
    from nh

Hello,
    I have a plexi glass hood (the whole thing is plexi glass) and i am trying to determine what model and year of car this came from...How can i find out what the year make and model is? The hood has been stored and is in excellent condition. I would also like to see pics of other hoods if anyone has them
    Thanks, kim

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  18. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

You would need to post a picture for someone to be able to identify it

19. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

The Corvair clear engine cover was a display item for dealers to switch for cars on their showroom floor. They had oval shaped holes where the louvers were on regular lids. There was a clear, removable troft under each set of holes to divert water off the engine if the cover was outside in the rain.

The outer edges of the lids were painted to hide the blocks used to connect the lid to the hinges and latch as well as the bolts for the rain troft. I believe all of them were originally painted gold, but it is not uncommon for them to be overpainted with another color. Just open the engine lid and look at the underside and you will see the original gold paint through the clear plexi. I always wanted one of those things. I have seen them on ebay but they are not cheap.

20. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Here it is...and it's owner.

Attached Files:

21. gixxercat

gixxercat

The guy in South Houston who bought the hood in South Houston was my father. I still have that hood in the warehouse and it is looking for a new home.

22. speedshifter

speedshifter

In about 1949 or 1950 Popular Science magazine Had an article about a Plexiglass hood on a model a hot rod. If any one knows about this, or any info on building a plastic hood please contact me.Thanks. speedshifter

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Now why would a Canadian '54 Ford have a plexiglass hood to display an old flathead?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Budget36

Budget36

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you won't get a response from him/her. Only been 8 years since the one and only post made.

25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa