Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Y-block question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ned5049, Mar 22, 2020.

1. ned5049

ned5049

Question on Ford Y- block exhaust. If you put tube headers on a 292, [57 Bird, not a 312], would it change the nice exhaust sound of dual cast iron manifolds? Would be running straight thru's. Would consider chambered mufflers. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks. Ned

2. Startup of my 46 Ford P/U with headers (no collectors)

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tube headers,do change the sound a little,this happens as 8 tubes have a fairly long run ,vs Cast join together much sooner in the casting. #2 fires next to #1 in fire order{thats both on same side of Y- block},an that's a bit of Y-block sound vs other engines.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I have Y-blocks in both my Model A and my 57 wagon. The Model A has tube headers and the 57 has 312 cast manifolds. Of course they both sound different from each other but no 2 cars sound alike. But you can definately tell that they have solid lifter Y-blocks in them!

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

The main reason for the Y block sound is the unique firing order.

6. ned5049

ned5049

Has anyone used the cast iron ram horn style? Going to have to pay for what ever I get . The engine I started with has the crossover. A friend has stock mufflers and it sounds good. Want the sound for sure but louder. Maybe a pair of cast stock manifolds will fall from the sky! LOL. Not waiting around for that! Thanks for your input fellow Ford Fanatics.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

There is an add on Pittsburg craigslist with Y block parts including manifolds

8. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got FPA headers on the 55 bird and long 4 tubes in my 32. They still sound like y blocks, and are reasonably well muffled. The rams horns only came on trucks with the front steady rest and the big bell housing with the rear motor mounts. I don't believe they'll clear side engine mounts from a passenger car, or the side steady rest rods on a bird. What is the y block in, is it the 57 bird you mentioned above?

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock ones are pretty EZ to find, Yblocksforever on the net can help you out. Ram horns for the big trucks just seen to hit about any and everything so actually rarely used. Reds Headers supply for T-birds, cars and pickups that dump to the stock area/location...There are others, Good Luck with your project.

10. ned5049

ned5049

Yes. 292 in a 57 Bird. Didn't get the 312 with it. This 292 came with a crossover pipe. Need to get something either cast or header. So far what I've found are in the 250.00 to $400.00 range. Ram horns are out. Wanted the right sound without spending alot. Looks like I'm going to shop around for cast. Had them back in the 60's on my 56 Fords. Plentiful then. Will check the sources you guys mentioned. Thank you again. Ned

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've only seen the crossover pipe on trucks, but I think some passenger cars used them, probably base level motors. The drivers side cast manifold is different on a bird, the passenger side is the same as the car.

Couple sites to check out. Ted Eaton and John Mummert. Eaton has a lot of testing and build info, Mummert shown most of the casting number.

Here's Eaton's exhaust test http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic55379.aspx
    His main site. http://www.eatonbalancing.com/

J
    ohn Mummert. Bottom of the page "information center". http://www.ford-y-block.com/

You should find a 56 pass side manifold cheap. The drivers side you might end up with a more costly reproduction from one of the Tbird suppliers. The 57 flat top manifolds flow better, but for both sides you're looking at a higher cost. For your location Hills is the closest I know of but there might be others.
    https://hillsresto.com/thunderbird-center/

town sedan likes this.
  12. I have a set of exhaust manifolds off a 57 T Bird if interested. Blasted them so they are clean and in excellent condition.
    Have them on FaceBook marketplace currently.

PM me if interested .$200.00 plus shipping from 21060

Oldmics

town sedan likes this.
  13. town sedan

town sedan

The "57 flat top" exhaust manifolds are the same through '62 when the engine was last used in passenger cars. You might be able to use a set of the passenger car manifolds in a Bird, but I believe miker98038 is right and there are some differences in the T-Bird manifold(s).

Check out Y-blocks forever, those guys are a wealth of information on this obsolete and much loved engine.
    -Dave