Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HELP Center bar on 1946 Ford Coupe Windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcross55, Mar 20, 2020.

1. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

I need info on how to install the center bar on windshield.........I am trying to put a 1946 Ford coupe together and have no clue how center bar attaches to dash just wondering if I am missing pieces. I have looked at photos and see a knob on dash but there is no stud or screw threads....don't know if tab on bottom of divider bar is supposed to be at 90 degree angle or less......I would appreciate any guidance on getting the m{}]]\|~<%##%><%>€ thing installed. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. The large hole on the bottom of divider bar, is for the wiper switch(vacuum). It comes up from the bottom, and a nut holds it down.

3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

The three holes in the middle are used with machine screws and bolt the outside divider bar down on the outside.
    Kind of a sandwiching effect.

Landmule, rcross55 and arkiehotrods like this.
  4. You should have a similar stainless or chrome strip with three studs that mounts on the outside.

Landmule and rcross55 like this.

5. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

So the divider bar doesn't actually bolt to anything. I have the gasket just thought the interior bar with big hole through bottom had a knob to hold it down from what I could see on interior pictures on the net.There is no old wiper motor some of the single wiper motors were in the trunk it had been wrecked and most of the parts were in trunk....thanks

6. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

I don't have the old wiper motor just a single motor that was in the trunk along with all the other bits and pieces so nothing actually bolts the bar to the frame or do I need to put some bolt up through dash and secure bar

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My '47. Stopped to look at the '46/early'47 that was for sale (the for sale sign on the black car said '47).
    100_2366.jpg

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  8. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

The only thing that holds the inside bar is three machine bolts that bolt it through the gasket to the outside divider bar.

It just sits on top of the ends of the garnish moldings at the top and bottom to “finish” or conceal the ends.

I believe the wiper switch bolts to the dashboard and the shaft of the switch just protrudes through the hole at the bottom and the knob goes on top to finish off the hole.

So to answer your question. The bar is only really held on by the three machine screws that are also holding on the outside divider bar

9. Yes, the wiper motor controller(switch) comes in from under the dash, and through that bottom hole. A nut holds it in place on top of the divider bar. The mirror closes the gap between the top two side of the windshield molding. As Jim states above, 3 machine screws hold the inside molding to the chrome trim outside.

Jim Bouchard and rcross55 like this.
  10. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

Dude thank you thank you thank you that's what I was looking for .........

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  11. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

I thought the hole at bottom was for a bolt that would support the center bar in place, that's what I could not figure out, the picture was all I needed to see to get it through my head

12. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

Thanks the picture he sent really cleared it up for me

13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Happy to help. That’s what the H.A.M.B. is for.

14. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

Do you have any idea about why I have two slotted holes at the top of each piece of windshield interior garnish trim all the rest are #8 screw holes but these elongated holes are twice the size

15. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I’m not familiar with that.

Can you post up a picture?

16. Do you mean where the mirror would mount? If so, the mount part of the mirror covers the garnish trim.

17. Be careful how tight you tighten the screws, glass can break. Ask me how i know.

18. topher5150

topher5150

found mine now if feel better

19. Yes- the slotted top holes in the windshield garnish mouldings are for the rear view mirror

20. rcross55

rcross55
    from alabama

Thanks I dug my old garnish mold out and it had a screw hole directly behind slotted hole where they had bolted the garnish up and attached the mirror to the frame of the windshield....My garnish meet butt up and aforementioned holes are 1-1/2 inch apart and mirror is 2-1/2 inches apart so that is why I couldn’t figure out thanks for the input