Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Newbie

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NWTom, Mar 22, 2020.

1. NWTom

NWTom

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the site checking things out once in a while, but now that I'm moving forward on my hot rod project, I'm gonna need some help.

A couple years ago, I picked up a '35 Chevy 3 window coupe that I found on CL. It's the real steel deal that had been turned into a drag car. Like a lot of guys who race, the guy who build the car did some crude work on the body but did a nice job on the chassis. I ended up buying the car minus engine, tranny and wheels for a reasonable price, but it's been a much slower process than I had originally thought to convert it into a streetable hot rod.

For starters, it doesn't have front brakes. The 10 bolt rear end, apparently from an '80's Chevy cop car, was pretty hokey so I had it completely rebuilt with a 3.73 posi unit. I have a '66 327 built with roughly the same specs as a '66 Vette 327, with a '66 M-20. I even have the Vette valve covers with the casting flaw.

Anyhow, I've restored and refurbished a few sports cars and American iron, but I've never actually built a hot rod. First question; I'm looking for some tips on routing brake lines up to the front. I'm using a '39 drop axle with Chevelle disc brakes from Speedway. I'm planning on using two of the small master cylinders that run directly off of the pedal. are there some good threads available?

Pictures to come.....

Thanks,
    NWTom

2. Top of the page, search icon ;):
    [​IMG]

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Welcome:) Lots of threads and people to help you along . And yes , we are pic loving folks. Where is location?

chryslerfan55 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. Let's see some photos of this treasure. Where in the NW are you located?

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Welcome Tom, Did you find the vin tag and see if it matches the title? The wood framed Chevy bodies usually had the vin tag by the pass. seat nailed unto the wood rail. Is that a master coupe?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

welcome and we need pictures.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1000 virus infested zombie Hambers limping quickly with open arms toward the new guy.

We... will... help... you...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. NWTom

NWTom

Apologies for the extremely late response to my own post. Like a lot of people, I've had to adjust to working at home. Here are some pictures of the '35. Some of you might recognize the car and I hope that I don't offend the builder by my remark that the bodywork was "crude." I actually like it this way!

IMG_2710.jpeg IMG_2714 copy.jpg IMG_2712.jpeg 43ED59F2-674D-4D86-8797-8E2C08D776D5.jpeg 8B5E997E-8CD6-4512-ABCC-9808746FC5D8.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A great start .:cool:

10. butch27

butch27

Welcome looks like an old race car...Nice

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. NWTom

NWTom

Just bolted the rear end back in. Complete rebuild with new 3.73 posi. Painting my front axle today and installing GM disks up front. Next, brake lines to the front. IMG_4477.jpeg

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

14. In that case:
    1. I hope you're going to re-do the rear suspension. Welded on drag race ladder bars are no good on the street. Search "ladder bars."
    2. I also hope you know the front end in the pictures is mounted back to front.

I see clueless work there, but it doesn't have to stay that way. Please visit the Pete & Jakes website and look at their tech sheets. It will show you how to properly set up suspension for the street.;)

Links for you:
    https://www.peteandjakes.com/tech/
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1932-ford-ladder-bars.1189392/#post-13516455

oj, partssaloon, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Welcome, nice start

16. Jokester

Jokester

I like it. I like the look with no wing windows. I also like the hood sides used as inner door panels. Do the hood latches function as door handles?

Mine is a '34 with 327/ 4 speed and a 35 Hudson grille shell.

Good start.

.bjb

17. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

18. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Cool project. I'm particularly curious about the front suspension setup. I am starting on a project where I hope to have a unique front end,....kinda how yours appears,....kinda a Rollin Bones appearance.
    If you have or can shoot a few pics of the front frame/suspension/axle assembly I'd be waaaay appreciative.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    NWTom likes this.
  19. Looks like it needs a little help in places but I like the old girls bones. Definetly has the potential to be a very cool ride!!

NWTom likes this.
  20. NWTom

NWTom

Jokester,

Yes, the hood handles function as door handles now.

I’m running a 327 with Muncie m20. It would be great to see what your pedal set up and steering column look like. I would like to change my column out and change the pedals to drop downs.

Thanks for all the replies! I have a lot to learn.

21. NWTom

NWTom

Mr. Bill,

The front end is apart right now, but I’ll have pictures soon.

Tom

22. NWTom

NWTom

BTW - I need a distributor for my 327. As I mentioned before, the engine was built to something close to a 300 hp period Vette engine with an RV spec cam (can’t remember lift and duration, but nothing extreme). I’m running an Edelbrock c4b intake and plan on using an Edelbrock AVS2 or Holley 600 or 650 dp. Haven’t decided on the carb yet, but I just happen to have a new AVS2 650. My engine was sourced from ‘66 Impala but came with a big clumsy HEI. The HEI unit doesn’t fit on a c4b unless you carve up the casting. Any suggestions are welcome.

23. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Cool! Thanks.

24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice, these Chevys are my favorite 3 window coupes. I've been thinking of running a Mallory dual point in my latest conglomeration, since I have two of them here. No vacuum advance, but they are neat and tidy.

25. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

Pretty sweet project you got. Welcome from just down the road.

26. Nice start! Looks very promising. Welcome from Arkansas.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app