Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Speedway headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

Does anyone run these flathead headers from speedway. Seem very affordable and the reviews aren’t bad. I want to buy a set for my 53 ford. Just was wondering if anyone runs em in general and what they think of em [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind off curious as to why you want to run headers? Is your flathead built up and needing extra exhaust flow? From everything I have seen/read there is little to be gained over the stock exhaust manifolds using a set of headers on a flattie. If it's simply because you like them and want to then have at it!

Boden likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I had some. They sounded very good. I ended up going with block huggers for my build.
    Make sure that they'll fit your build.

Boden likes this.
  4. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I put a set of "Red's Headers" on my 50 Ford 2 door sedan 20 years ago. The engine is stock but I wanted a dual exhaust. I was pleasantly surprised how much better it ran! Smoother and what felt like more power. I don't know about the Speedway headers for sure but I'll bet they'd help especially if you go with a dual exhaust system. What the hell, it can't hurt.

Boden likes this.

5. leon bee

leon bee

That's gonna clear your steering box?

6. Boden

Boden

My motor is very built up. But also. I want to run dual exhaust. And the cost for manifolds is the same as these headers.

anothercarguy and GordonC like this.
  7. Boden

Boden

We will find out. There’s no info about it on there

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you have a '53, these will probably fit. There can be problems with "shoeboxes" ('49-'51) and some earlier models; Even then, they can usually be made to fit.

Here's something odd; I bought a set of cheap ($89.95) stainless headers off of eBay. The headers were fine, but the fasteners they sent with them were metric. How they could make decent headers and then send them out with metric fasteners is beyond me. Perhaps China is now casting their own flathead blocks?o_O

Boden and GordonC like this.
  9. 1pickup

1pickup

Very tight to the steering box on my '39. Other than that, seem to be OK so far.

Boden likes this.
  10. Boden

Boden

. I figured my 53 chasis is wider and a hair bigger than the shoebox cars. And it’s cheap enough to where if it doesn’t fit I won’t have a problem modifying jt

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had Red's Headers on a 49 Ford and they were VERY close to the steering box:( Just a little tweaking could have easily added a half inch to the clearance. No idea why they don't. I was glad to see that car go down the road.

Boden likes this.
  12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Used them on a 50 I had several years ago with no problems and I'm using the left one on my V8 A I'm building now. Flathead sounds a lot better with duals and glass packs, I used the Speedway Smithys on my 50, sounded good. Bought a set of Red's Headers for the A but it didn't clear the steering so borrowed a left header from a friend and it cleared so bought the set for the right header.

13. Boden

Boden

Also. Has anyone run porter mufflers?

14. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

[QUOTE="

Here's something odd; I bought a set of cheap ($89.95) stainless headers off of eBay. The headers were fine, but the fasteners they sent with them were metric. How they could make decent headers and then send them out with metric fasteners is beyond me. Perhaps China is now casting their own flathead blocks?o_O[/QUOTE]

Bought A front license plate clamps and they came with metric fasteners as have several other aftermarket bolt on accessories.

Boden likes this.
  15. Boden

Boden

I meant to say brochman mufflers