Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ZZ Top Vid is excellent with rods!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guy1unico, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanx, that sounds about right!

2. Boodlum

Boodlum

Danced to Dusty and Rocky Hill and Frank Beard's band The Warlocks at the Studio Club on Sherry Lane in Dallas around 1966-67 (Kenny Daniel and the Kasuals played there too - Johnny Rotten sez they were his inspiration - that's why the Sex Pistols came to Dallas and played a concert at Dewey Groom's Longhorn Ballroom). I remember in pre-ZZ Top days they had a good looking girl singer but cannot remember her name. She stayed in Dallas when the guys moved to Houston. iirc she went to Woodrow Wilson High School too.

Kenny & The Kasuals

Billy Gibbons was in Houston at the same time where Roky Erickson and his band The 13th Floor Elevators were a similar big influence

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Knowing of the Eliminator video, never connected the timing of it’s release with the start up with MTV. Then I realized I didn’t even know that Frank Beard was really the guy that founded the trio and got Dusty Hill hooked up with BFG. Didn’t know of any of the guys except Billy Gibbons. Love the Music, and lack of stardom-ego that doesn’t seem to have any influence one these guys. If we ever had “A Make A Wish” for Adults that are still teens @ heart, I’d wish for an Afternoon with these three Kats, and a case of the coldest beer on a warm Summer afternoon. I’ll buy. Oh the stories I could listen to and learn from. I like Dusty Hill especially, he seems 100% geniune, proud American, proud Texan. The day the music died occurred 1959. But ZZ TOP RELITE THE FLAME, and I dig it!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Watched it 2 times, gonna have to watch it a few more times. Was around when MTV started, my two brothers controlled the TV, so I watched it a lot. They both went to the Eliminator concert, Hot Rods and Rock`n`roll, It was my favorite video. Liked how they came up with the name ZZ Top. Shuffle in ~C~ was the best part of the documentary.

5. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

I was walking into the Continental club one evening during the early days of the Roundup and as I was walking in, Billy Gibbons was walking out and he said, "hey what's up man" I of course acted cool ass hell like I've known him and said what's up brother, we shook hands and both walked our separate ways.
    Note: I've never ever met Billy Gibbons, always loved ZZTOP but I didn't want to act like a buster when he thought he knew me :cool:

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I said a how how how...we got alotta nice girls!!

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may not see him in person, but he see's you just the same !
    BFG.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

good memories. when that video with the '33 was playing every half-hour on MTV, my teenage brother-in-law thought every car older than a '39 was a "zz topp car"!

9. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I beat you by a couple of years. 1974 ZZ Top's BBq and Barn Dance.
    https://texasarchive.org/2013_02397

Flathead Dave and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Some friends and I got nose bleed tickets for the first afterburner concert in Atlanta. The first concert sold out so fast they decided to do two, so we decided to try and get better seats. We got second row right behind all the seats reserved for the press and all. Best thing is, they scheduled the second concert for the day before the first! Got to see them do the Velcro Fly across that stage and caught a guitar pic too. Cool night for sure.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

first saw them in DUBLIN at the RDS(showjumping arena) sun 18th august 1985.tickets £13 50.before the concert started I was sitting on a fence ,nearby were 2 policemen,1 said to the other ,ive never seen such an unkempt longhaired bunch of delinquents in my life.i was proud to be one of them !
    later saw them at the marquee CORK tue 28 june 2013 good night it was too.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020