Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you seem to keep building one make & model?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 21, 2020.

1. I was having a conversation with a old friend of mine last night on the phone and he was telling me he had recently purchased a Deuce sedan body, he said at his age he hadn't planed on building another hot rod but went to look at the car anyway.

When he saw the body it was too nice to pass up, he went on to explain that over the years he had accumulated most of the parts it would take to build one more Deuce.

He has built a lot of cars in the past 40 years that I have known him and quite a few 32's.

I don't have the stash of parts he does but with the exception of the body and frame I have enough parts to make darn good start on another 32 myself.

Do you guys have a particular car or truck that you have always been drawn to?, Have extra parts you keep hanging on to? HRP

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I have that problem. The trouble is, it's the same car; I can't seem to finish it.

3. Well, there's this particular Chevy...

4. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

No. I got distracted from my old car, (not old enough to talk about here), and started working on my new old car.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like a wide variety of old cars and trucks so it depends on my interest at the time . I am more into a particular engine style. “Six in a row , can go “ :D Dependable , easy to work on and gives you more room in the engine compartment. Just seems more interesting in a hot rod than an everyday sbc .

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I have 2 different cars that always seem to get my attention. 54 chevys and 67 chevelles

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evidently I don't. Worlds of difference between a 53 Stude and a 38 Chevy (although the drive train in both of them are similar) If I built another car (highly unlikely) it would probably be a 30's open car or a 57 Ford 300 coupe.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I used to, but now I'm down to only 3 late 50s Chevy/GMC trucks.

9. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You are certainly correct about an “everyday Sbc “. But why has that been? The popularity and ease of installation of a Sbc into most Hot Rod Projects has been popular for some 60 yrs. Are they over used? Sure they are, but they have helped a lot of hot rodders get their projects on the road. I certainly have over used them on my many 55-57 Chevy uncompleted projects since the early 70’s.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Yes But I Have To Use Up These Olde Parts Before Changing To Something New... 84172322_2570605699930362_5090639352275402752_o.jpg

Baron, 3W JOHN, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  11. 11 Model A Ford's, now I'm building a 57 Chevy lol, I'm off the Henry Ford for good, but it's like learning all over again! Hey, anybody know where there's a good deal on a model A coupe body?? I mean, uh some 57 Chevy parts? o_O

12. Not me, I am all over the board. I like what I like. I have had 6 Tri Five Chevys and 8 66-67 Fairlanes, but other than that, all my other cars/ trucks have been different and I have probably owned 60 or 70 cars in my life so far. Usually I get one 90% done and then move on to another one.

13. I'll buy anything I think is cool. The '59 Ford was impossible to pass up, got to look at a '62 T-Bird soon that is in good shape. I know of a '56 Dodge that may be up for grabs.

14. Pop Chevy

Pop Chevy

I'm stuck on old Corvette's , it's what I know best and I've gotten used to the fiberglass itch. In the middle of a 59 street -strip car now.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

One make or model?;
    Yup,largely controlled by cost an knowledge,cost being already have a lot of parts that fit an knowledge is,can work with parts you know how to play with best.
    But really there is some times, that one that got away,and there it is,right there at what seems like low cost LOL

17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the wife says "One leaves before another one gets into the garage!" I like too many different cars to specialize on one brand or type all the time.

18. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I like anything old for the most part but if you go to my house everything is pretty much mopar. Not one model but mopar none the less. I have stacks of big block mopar motors, small block mopar motors, 8 3/4 axles, 904 trans, 727 trans etc. Sticking with the same brand makes it easy for me to swap around parts. Plus I'd be damned if I put a chevy motor in my mopar LOL.

19. My first old car was a 1932 Ford coupe and I bought it when I was 12 years old, I have owned 10 Deuces over the years and most of them have been in the last 15 years, before that is was Model A's which I had several and 1940 ford and again I got stuck on them.

I have my second 1954 Ford and if the right deal was to present itself there could be a third. HRP

20. egads

egads

Fortunately, no.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Thor1, 3W JOHN, sleepchamber and 6 others like this.
  21. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya, for many years now it's been Model A's! :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  22. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

Yes 39 and 40 Fords I have 4 of them and parts also. I like the Deluxe cars best!

3W JOHN, 32SEDAN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. My 51 is undergoing its third rebuild in 25 years, but mostly I do 1929 Model A Fords.
    Cabriolet banger
    Tudor 327 3 speed
    Roadster drag 401 top loader
    Roadster street rod 327 TH
    Closed cab PU restorod 327
    Closed cab Pu more traditional 350
    Cabriolet nicer than high school version banger hot rod

24. adam401

adam401

As long as its a pre WW2 Ford it's for me

25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

No, I build or buy what fits my fancy; I've had Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, an expensive German brand. Never had a MoPar though.
    I am only loyal to Harley. Never been on another brand

26. There's a benefit to choosing, rebuilding a certain make/model.
    The familiarity allows knowledge of rust prone areas, the scarcity of hard to find parts, values, recognition of the "good deals" on cars and parts, identifying the needed parts at swap meets (where the vendor often doesn't know what he has), and inevitably the surplus of parts after a build, that can be used in a future build.
    Primarily '39 Deluxe, '40 Fords cars and p/u's for me, but I have varying taste.

27. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I guess I do, done 4 Model A's , two banger powered and two flathead V8. I've also had five other flathead powered cars so guess I just like the old stuff.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I resemble that remark!

Have the wife's OT Firebird, just don't like working on it. If a person came along with the right trade or enough greenbacks in hand it'd go down the road.

My car is one step forward, two steps back. Seems I get one thing fixed, two more pop up. This is the first time it's ever taken me three years counting to do a engine/transmission swap. And got to pull it all out again and put it back when the trans gets rebuilt. With my extremely limited time anymore, sometimes I feel just like selling it and not looking back. I won't, but still get that feeling.
    I might get it driveable before I retire. Maybe. I hope.....

29. mickeyc

mickeyc

I must admit I am like tubman posted. Have one coming along but not finished. However my next will be either a Model A coupe or a 32 three window. Both on hand. Time will tell. Given the current crisis and strife we all face I have no fathom of what the future may bring. I am thinking that all hobbies whether they be auto related or rock collecting may become irrelevant and of little or no value when mere maintaining a viable life may be every ones utmost concern. When a person spends the money and time we do to pursue this hobby it is disconcerting to think that vintage vehicles and related components along with most non essential material things could be rendered irrelevant and worthless in the scope of survival. I am just trying to be pragmatic, sometimes to a fault I know.
    I for one have curtailed spending on things deemed non essential for the time being. Good health and well
    being to every one.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not me. But I've known guys who do that. They get very good at it.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app